Subject: RA: interview with Bishop Belo, June 2
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 08:02:39 -0400
From: "John M. Miller" <etan@etan.org>Timor bishop on settlement
prospects, Australia says "matter for Indonesia" Radio Australia external
service 2 June 98
[Presenter Peter Mares] Roman Catholic Bishop Carlos Belo of East Timor says he is
ready for talks with the new Indonesian administration of B.J. Habibie and suggests he
could go to Jakarta next month for a meeting. In an interview with
"Asia-Pacific" , Nobel Peace Prize winner Bishop Belo also called for
confidence-building measures in East Timor, such as the immediate withdrawal of Indonesian
troops and the freeing of all East Timorese political prisoners, including jailed
resistance leader Xanana Gusmao. But Bishop Belo says it is too early to tell whether
changes at the top in Jakarta will bring a new approach to East Timor. This report from
Tom Fayle.
[Fayle] The bishop's co-recipient of the 1996 Nobel Peace Prize, exiled East Timorese
leader Jose Ramos Horta, has suggested on a number of occasions recently that Bishop Belo
would be the ideal starting point for the Indonesian authorities to begin a dialogue on
the future of the former Portuguese colony. And last week President Suharto's newly
installed replacement, B.J. Habibie, was quoted as telling a visiting American congressman
that he was prepared to meet the bishop as part of a drive to reach out to all quarters of
Indonesian society.
So, since the fall of the Suharto regime, has there been contact between the new
administration in Jakarta and Bishop Belo?
[Belo] Not yet, because, you know, I have just come back from Europe and have many
things to do here, but maybe next month I will try how to go to Jakarta.
[Fayle, to Belo] President Habibie has apparently expressed a willingness to talk to
you. Do you find that encouraging?
[A] Well, I don't know yet, but this is the first time I hear about this information.
But I am ready to talk.
[Q] Speaking from Dili, Bishop Belo also said that he wanted the immediate introduction
by the Indonesian authorities of a number of confidence-building measures, including a
military withdrawal from the territory, which has been occupied since 1975.
[A] Immediately it is necessary to withdraw the battalions, the soldiers here. I only
repeat this once, that the soldiers should be withdrawn from East Timor. Secondly, it is
necessary to free, to release all the political prisoners. And third, to begin the
intra-Timorese dialogue immediately, among all East Timor, those from the diaspora, from
outside, those from in the forest and the jungle, those behind, in the government sectors.
[Q] And how important is the release of Xanana Gusmao? Can any meaningful dialogue
occur without his participation?
[A] He is a Timorese. As an East Timorese he also should be involved. Why [should] we
involve the Indonesians and we don't involve the Timorese? He is more important than
Indonesians.
[Q] Indonesian Foreign Minister Ali Alatas has said that Xanana Gusmao does not come
under the terms of the current amnesty. How much of a problem is that?
[A] Well, it is not
a good idea for Mr Alatas. It is very sad that Mr Alatas said that. Maybe they like to
have problems for the future.
[Q] Would you have any problem sitting in a delegation which included Xanana Gusmao?
[A] No problem. I am ready to talk with all Timorese, no problem.
[Q] You have been quoted recently as saying Indonesia should seek a dialogue with the
Timorese to find a solution to the East Timor issue with neither victor nor vanquished.
What do you mean by that?
[A] This is the only way to solve peacefully and democratically
the solution for East Timor, so it's necessary to have dialogue with the East Timorese.
[Q] On the issue of an internationally supervised referendum to decide the fate of the
territory, as demanded by the East Timorese resistance movement, Bishop Belo says
ultimately such a vote will be necessary if the East Timor problem is ever to be solved,
but an acceptable timetable for any possible move along these lines is still being debated
within the East Timorese community. But optimism that there will be any real change in
Indonesia's attitude towards its troublesome acquisition has been dampened this week by
President Habibie's ambassador at large on the East Timor issue, who suggested that
whoever was president, the policy on East Timor would remain the same. Rejecting that
statement as very bad politics, Bishop Belo remains extremely cautious about the future
despite last month's dramatic upheavals.
[A] Suharto stepped down but the old structure is still there. The army, the Golkar,
these people who like promotions. They are still there. So since there is not any kind of
reform about these two main structures, maybe we don't have a good solution for East
Timor.
[Fayle, to Belo] When you go to Jakarta and you are able to meet President Habibie,
what message will you be taking with you? [A] What I said to you today, to withdraw the
armed forces here, to release the Timorese political prisoners and to talk with the
Timorese.
[Peter Mares] The Australian government says it believes the new administration in
Jakarta now has a good opportunity to lighten Indonesia's rule in East Timor. Responding
to our interview with Bishop Belo, Foreign Minister Alexander Downer said Australia had
long advocated that Indonesia reduce its military presence in the province, devolve more
administrative responsibility and recognize the cultural distinctiveness of the East
Timorese. He says both Coalition and Labor governments in Australia have recognized
Indonesia's sovereignty over East Timor, but this in no way indicates approval for the
manner of its incorporation. On the fate of Xanana Gusmao, Mr Downer says the release of
the resistance leader is a matter for the Indonesian government.
Back to June Menu
Back to Main Postings Menu |