| Subject: Indonesia to register East Timor
refugees
Indonesia to register East Timor refugees
JAKARTA, Aug 1 (AFP) - Indonesian authorities plan to register all East
Timorese refugees still on Indonesian soil and make a last offer, to
either stay or return home, a report said Tuesday.
Foreign Minister Alwi Shihab, speaking after a meeting at the office of
the coordinating minister for politics and security, said the government
was considering closing camps sheltering the refugees on the Indonesian
side of the border with East Timor.
Shihab was quoted by the Antara news agency as saying that many,
including foreign governments, had cited East Timorese militias in the
border camps, as a source of trouble as well as blaming them for the
killing of a New Zealand peacekeeper in East Timor last week.
But before closing the camps, the govermment needed to know how many
East Timorese remained, and how many of them had no plans to return to
East Timor.
"The registration of the population should not be delayed,"
Shihab was quoted by Antara as saying.
He also said the East Timorese refugees will also be asked to give a
final answer: whether they wanted to stay or return home.
"They will be faced with the choice of staying or returning. If
they say they demand time, then that will be considered as wanting to
stay," Shihab said.
He said registration was expected to start in about two months.
The existence of border camps had made Indonesia vulnerable to various
accusations, including one by Washington that Indonesian armed forces were
trying to hinder the repatriation of refugees, he said.
US Ambassador to Indonesia Robert Gelbard was quoted Tuesday as having
told the Australian daily, the Sydney Morning Herald, that it was
"lamentable and inexcusable" that Jakarta has so far failed to
disarm the militia in West Timor.
"We have so far been only on the defensive but now we will be on
the offensive," Shihab said.
Shihab will meet UN Secretary General Kofi Annan in New York on August
19 to discuss the issue of the East Timorese refugees in West Timor.
Some 250,000 East Timorese fled, or were forced to flee at gunpoint, to
West Timor during the militia violence that followed the announcement in
September of the pro-independence results of a UN-held ballot in East
Timor.
Around 140,000, including many former members of the pro-Indonesian
militias, remain in camps in West Timor.
The United States froze military ties with Indonesia over the violent
rampage after the independence vote, and has insisted militias be moved
before it will consider a resumption of military hardware deliveries.
UN agencies trying to register the refugees, say their efforts have
been thwarted by militia harrassment.
August Menu
World Leaders Contact List
Human Rights Violations in East Timor
Main Postings Menu
Note: For those who would like to fax "the
powers that be" - CallCenter V3.5.8, is a Native 32-bit Voice Telephony software
application integrated with fax and data communications... and it's free of charge!
Download from http://www.v3inc.com/ |