| Subject: SCMP: UN on alert after reports
Timor militias plan suicide raids
South China Morning Post Tuesday, August 1, 2000
EAST TIMOR
UN on alert after reports militias plan suicide raids
JOANNA JOLLY in Dili
The United Nations is said to be stepping up security following reports
that pro-Jakarta militias in West Timor are planning a series of
cross-border attacks this month.
There are fears the groups, backed by elements in the Indonesian army,
will launch "suicide attacks" in East Timor, using the dates of
Indonesia Day, August 17, Falintil Day, August 20 and the National Council
for Timorese Resistance congress, August 20 to 30, to highlight their
presence.
Sources close to the peacekeeping forces say the border with Indonesian
West Timor has been reinforced and that UN troops are on high alert.
Peacekeepers set up roadblocks outside the East Timorese capital, Dili,
and the western town of Liquicia at the weekend after reports the militias
planned to attack.
Civilians working for the UN have been told not to travel at night in
the border regions, while foreign aid workers have been told to stay home
at night.
Sources in Dili fear the militias are planning attacks on UN staff, the
CNRT and guerilla force Falintil, which backed independence.
There also are fears the militias may conduct another ambush on the
border, similar to the one that killed New Zealand peacekeeper Private
Leonard Manning last week. Arrest warrants have been issued for a gang -
thought to be hiding in West Timor - that killed the soldier.
UN spokesman Lieutenant-Colonel Brynjar Nymo played down reports of
further attacks, saying: "We have had reports over the past weeks in
West Timor of militias' activity. Obviously, peacekeeping forces are still
posted at the border and there has been some reshuffling, but our threat
assessment has not changed from 'medium'."
More than 120,000 East Timorese refugees remain in camps in West Timor.
The UN is involved in negotiations for their return, but it is unlikely
the small group of hard-core militias responsible for rape and murder will
go back.
Facing international pressure, Indonesia promised yesterday to close
the camps which militiamen have been using as a base from which to stage
incursions.
Militias have already stepped up their activity along the border. They
are believed to have shot and wounded an East Timorese man near Suai on
Saturday.
The same day, the militias successfully blocked a family reunion
between refugees from West Timor and relatives in East Timor at Motaain
town.
They set up roadblocks between the camps and the border, telling
refugees they would be killed if they passed.
People working for the UN High Commissioner for Refugees and the
International Organisation for Migration, which organised the reunion,
were attacked, prompting the Indonesian military to shut the border.
August Menu
World Leaders Contact List
Human Rights Violations in East Timor
Main Postings Menu
Note: For those who would like to fax "the
powers that be" - CallCenter V3.5.8, is a Native 32-bit Voice Telephony software
application integrated with fax and data communications... and it's free of charge!
Download from http://www.v3inc.com/ |