| Subject: IND: Indonesian special forces
'killed UN peace-keeper in East Timor'
Indpendent (UK), August 3, 2000
Indonesian special forces 'killed UN peace-keeper in East Timor'
By Richard Lloyd Parry and Joanna Jolly in Dili 4 August 2000
A United Nations peace-keeper who died in East Timor last month was
shot by former members of the Indonesian special forces under the noses of
the Indonesian authorities, military sources in Dili say.
Private Leonard Manning, from New Zealand, was killed on 24 July after
an attack on East Timor's border with Indonesia that showed all the
hallmarks of a military ambush carried out by trained soldiers.
In a sweep of the area after the attack, UN forces found a backpack
containing military rations and survival equipment, as well as a shirt
bearing the insignia of Kopassus, the special forces, which established a
murderous reputation in the 24 years after the Indonesian invasion of East
Timor in 1975.
They also found the body of Private Manning, whose throat had been cut
and his ears severed, another Kopassus trademark. The uniforms worn by the
attackers were plain green rather than the more common camouflage style,
and they also wore balaclavas, rather than the motley assortment of
headgear that are favoured by the civilian militiamen.
UN sources in Dili told The Independent they believe the attackers were
members of Kopassus who have been officially discharged, and who have
travelled to West Timor to undermine East Timorese independence.
In public, UN sources have diplomatically refrained from suggesting
that the Indonesians are helping the militias, but in the past few days
that restraint has come close to breaking point.
The head of the UN administration in East Timor, Sergio Vieira de
Mello, has made repeated requests for the Indonesians to restrain the
militias, but to little effect.
"I'm not saying that they've done nothing, but [their efforts] are
not sufficient," he said. "Had they disarmed, demobilised and
arrested those 200 to 300 extremists that continue to enjoy freedom of
movement on the other side of the border, Private Manning would be alive
today."
Brigadier Duncan Lewis, a commander with the UN force, said: "We
have gunmen that have been coming across the border since February when
our force started operations here in East Timor. They have been coming
across the border wearing Indonesian uniforms, carrying a range of weapons
and ammunition that has Indonesian origin and you would have to make your
own conclusions from that." Brigadier Lewis said that the bodies of
two armed men killed in a gun battle with UN soldiers on Wednesday carried
FKS rifles which are used only by the Indonesian army. Indonesian military
surplus can be bought throughout the country. "But what I find
distressing is that some of their equipment was relatively new," he
said.
East Timor voted overwhelmingly for independence in a referendum last
August after a campaign in which there was blatant intimidation by
supporters of Indonesia, backed by the military. In the two weeks of
violence that followed the vote, Indonesian soldiers operated openly
alongside militiamen.
In an unrelated incident, a Bangladeshi peace-keeper in East Timor was
killed yesterday by a bomb, while searching for unexploded munitions on a
beach near Dili.
August Menu
World Leaders Contact List
Human Rights Violations in East Timor
Main Postings Menu
Note: For those who would like to fax "the
powers that be" - CallCenter V3.5.8, is a Native 32-bit Voice Telephony software
application integrated with fax and data communications... and it's free of charge!
Download from http://www.v3inc.com/ |