| Subject: UN Urges Indonesia To Disband
Militias Harassing E Timor
Dow Jones Newswires August 3, 2000
UN Urges Indonesia To Disband Militias Harassing E Timor
UNITED NATIONS (AP)--The U.N. Security Council urged the Indonesian
government Thursday to disarm and disband militias operating out of West
Timor and punish militiamen guilty of carrying out crimes in neighboring
East Timor.
In a presidential statement read at an open meeting, the council called
on Indonesia to translate agreements with the U.N. administration in East
Timor on legal, judicial, human rights and border issues "into
concrete progress on the ground."
The statement follows the July 24 killing of New Zealand army Pvt.
Leonard William Manning. He was killed in a fire fight with 10 suspected
pro-Indonesian militamen who had crossed into East Timor from
Indonesian-controlled West Timor.
The Security Council condemned the killing and welcomed the
establishment of a joint U.N.-Indonesian investigation.
The council also expressed "profound concern" at the
continuing presence of large numbers of refugees from East Timor in camps
in West Timor.
In a July 26 report to the council, Secretary-General Kofi Annan said
the activities of pro-integration militias who exercise control over the
refugees, and continuing cross-border attacks highlighted by the fatal
shooting of a U.N. soldier, "are very disturbing."
"I expect that effective steps will be taken by the Indonesian
authorities to bring the situation fully under control," Annan said.
U.N. administrator Sergio Vieira de Mello said "a few hundred
extremists" continue to launch hit and run attacks from West Timor.
The Indonesian military has arrested some militia members, confiscated
their weapons and barred them from training around refugee camps in West
Timor, he said.
According to Annan's report, more than 167,000 refugees have returned
to East Timor from Indonesia but an estimated 85,000 to 120,000 remain in
camps in West Timor where anti-independence militias are impeding the work
of the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees "by intimidation and
violence."
As a result, Annan said, UNHCR efforts to register refugees and
determine whether they want to return to East Timor or be resettled in
Indonesia had to be postponed indefinitely last month.
"The council calls for a more determined involvement in this
problem by the government of Indonesia," said the statement read by
the current council president, Malaysia's U.N. Ambassador Hasmy Agam.
It urged Indonesia to restore law and order, to ensure security for
refugees and international humanitarian personnel, to separate former
militiary personnel, police and civil servants from the refugees,
"and to arrest those militia extremists who are attempting to
sabotage the resettlement process
August Menu
World Leaders Contact List
Human Rights Violations in East Timor
Main Postings Menu
Note: For those who would like to fax "the
powers that be" - CallCenter V3.5.8, is a Native 32-bit Voice Telephony software
application integrated with fax and data communications... and it's free of charge!
Download from http://www.v3inc.com/ |