| Subject: Chinese businessmen in East Timor
under threat
South China Morning Post Saturday, August 5, 2000
EAST TIMOR
Chinese businessmen under threat
JOANNA JOLLY in Dili Ethnic-Chinese businessmen trying to re-establish
East Timor's economy have become a target for hostility and extortion by
the local community.
The Chinese are re-starting the profitable wholesale, retail and supply
operations they ran before last year's independence vote, but face strong
opposition from indigenous East Timorese.
They feel it is too early for the Indonesian Chinese to return because
of their past relationship with the former Jakarta regime.
"All Indonesian businessmen in Dili were helping the soldiers kill
us, giving them food and money. They are coming back too soon and people
hate this," said East Timorese businessmen Akui Leong who is
associated with the National Council for Timorese Resistance (CNRT), East
Timor's umbrella political organisation.
Chinese businessmen came to East Timor after the Portuguese colonial
rulers granted them exclusive licences to run import and wholesale
businesses. This practice continued under the Indonesian regime when many
Chinese businesses allied themselves to Jakarta's military machine for
protection.
As the process of reconstruction slowly changes the face of Dili,
systematically destroyed in September by the retreating Indonesian army,
ethnic-Chinese shops selling everything from motorbikes to food processors
are flourishing again.
But the owners report that gangs of youths associated with Timorese
political groups regularly visit their premises to intimidate them and
demand money.
"We have to give them money, or they will give us problems. They
come here and drink beer and don't pay. Some threaten us," said
Sebastian, an East Timorese Chinese businessman who has returned to Dili
to reopen his family shop. Sebastian said he was not allowed to speak
Indonesian with his Indonesian Chinese employees.
"It is very dangerous for them to stay, it is even dangerous for
them to be seen on the road," he said, citing intense competition for
jobs amongst East Timorese as inflaming the hostility.
Resentment against the Indonesian Chinese business community reached a
peak on April 30 when two Indonesian Chinese were ordered to leave the
country by CNRT President Xanana Gusmao, after they were blamed for
inciting a riot.
CNRT leaders later told the businessmen they could return, but they
continue to face difficulties operating in Dili. Indonesian Chinese are
accused of undercutting local businesses by illegally importing goods from
Surabaya and from Indonesian West Timor. Duty must be paid on goods coming
across the land border from West Timor, but there are reports of
Indonesian businessmen bribing Indonesian soldiers to avoid this.
"Indonesian businessmen don't give us a chance to set up our own
businesses. They have better supplies, they can sell cheaper and we can't
do anything," said Akui Leong.
Mr Leong is ethnic Chinese but is regarded as pure Timorese by the
community because of his support for the underground resistance movement
against the Indonesians.
Analysts worry that Chinese businessmen like Mr Leong could exploit the
hostility against the Indonesian Chinese to secure the market for
themselves.
"The locals can distinguish between those ethnic Chinese who have
been here for a long time and the Indonesian Chinese," said one
Western analyst.
"The Surabaya Chinese are undercutting the prices of the East
Timorese Chinese who do not want them here. It may seem like an ethnic
problem, but it is actually all to do with economics."
August Menu
World Leaders Contact List
Human Rights Violations in East Timor
Main Postings Menu
Note: For those who would like to fax "the
powers that be" - CallCenter V3.5.8, is a Native 32-bit Voice Telephony software
application integrated with fax and data communications... and it's free of charge!
Download from http://www.v3inc.com/ |