| Subject: AFP: Wounded Australian soldiers
recovering in E. Timor hospital
Wounded Australian soldiers recovering in East Timor hospital
SYDNEY, Aug 13 (AFP) - Four Australian peacekeepers injured by a
mystery explosion near the West Timor border were recovering Sunday and
were expected to spend up to three weeks in a UN military hospital,
officials said.
The soldiers were wounded when an unidentified device went off on
Friday at a garbage dump near Memo, East Timor -- a border checkpoint near
the pro-Jakarta militia trouble spot of Maliana.
A spokesman for the Australian contingent in East Timor, Lieutenant Pat
Green, said one man suffered burns, another had a penetrating stomach
wound and the third a chest wound. No details were given on the fourth
man.
"All four of them are well, continue to be stable, and the
hospital staff tell me they were hoping to have them back on duty within
two or three weeks," he said.
"I would suggest that it wouldn't be necessary to send them back
to Australia."
Green would not speculate on the possibility that the men had been
injured by a carelessly disposed of Australian explosive weapon.
"We're not ruling out anything; even a car battery can sometimes
go up in a real big bang," he said.
Australian peacekeeper Corporal Stuart Jones was killed in the same
region last week when a rifle accidentally discharged.
August Menu
World Leaders Contact List
Human Rights Violations in East Timor
Main Postings Menu
Note: For those who would like to fax "the
powers that be" - CallCenter V3.5.8, is a Native 32-bit Voice Telephony software
application integrated with fax and data communications... and it's free of charge!
Download from http://www.v3inc.com/ |