| Subject: AFR: Pro-Indonesian Militia
Stronger Than Ever
Australian Financial Review Monday, August 14, 2000
Militia stronger than ever
By Tim Dodd, Jakarta
Nearly a year after the vote for independence in East Timor, a
resurgence of pro-Indonesian militia groups and a lack of action by
Indonesian authorities to curb their growing activities has United Nations
officials frustrated and worried.
UN peacekeeping commanders say that the militia are better armed and
better trained than they used to be. Militia groups still control many
refugee camps in West Timor, preventing an estimated 100,000 East Timorese
from returning to their homes, which gives them bases for new attacks
against the peacekeepers.
The militia have killed two UN soldiers in attacks in East Timor in the
past three weeks.
On Saturday the UN decided to withdraw most of its staff from Atambua,
the main border town in West Timor, a day after militia threatened UN
personnel.
Reports said that the building of the UN's International Office for
Migration was surrounded by about 50 machete-wielding members of the
Aitarak militia - one of the pro-Indonesia paramilitary groups which
became notorious in East Timor last year for its violence.
The problem for the UN is that Indonesian authorities refuse to act
against the militia leaders operating in the camps and, on Friday, the
head of the UN's mission in East Timor, Mr Sergio de Mello, expressed
growing frustration.
"The solution is what we've been requesting from the Indonesian
Government since October last year, which is to identify - which is not
difficult - disarm and detain those extremist elements who are operating
from within the camps," he said.
"That's what needs to be done, and as long as that doesn't happen
then I'm afraid refugees will not come back and our people will continue
to die," he said.
It is clear why the militia, and their high-level supporters, are
preventing the refugee problem from being solved. As long as East Timorese
are in the West Timor camps under militia control the militia will retain
a presence in the border area and have access to a ready source of young
men to turn into a guerrilla force.
Earlier on Friday, the Indonesian Foreign Minister, Mr Alwi Shihab,
said the Government was drawing up plans to close the camps, but Mr de
Mello said this was not adequate.
"Closing down the camps is a fairly vague concept," he said.
"Once you close them down, what do you do with the refugees? Do you
throw them into the sea? Do you force them across the border?"
Two anniversaries are approaching which the militia may mark with more
attacks. This Thursday is Indonesia's independence day which the militia
may want to mark with a demonstration of their allegiance.
And August 30 is the first anniversary of the ballot in which nearly 80
per cent of East Timorese ignored militia threats and violence and voted
for independence.
August Menu
World Leaders Contact List
Human Rights Violations in East Timor
Main Postings Menu
Note: For those who would like to fax "the
powers that be" - CallCenter V3.5.8, is a Native 32-bit Voice Telephony software
application integrated with fax and data communications... and it's free of charge!
Download from http://www.v3inc.com/ |