| Subject: AFP: East Timorese militias and UN
peacekeepers clash
Agence France-Presse (AFP) Date: 17 Aug 2000 East Timorese militias and
UN peacekeepers clash
JAKARTA, Aug 17 (AFP) - Suspected pro-Indonesia militias and Fijian UN
peacekeepers traded fire just inside East Timor's border with Indonesia
Wednesday night, a UN spokesman said Thursday.
"There were no casualties, and the (suspected) militias withdrew
after the exchange of fire and headed back across the border," said
Colonel Brynjar Nymo, spokesman for the United Nations Peacekeeping Force.
The clash occurred as the peacekeepers in the UN-administered territory
stepped up security in anticipation of attacks by militias on Indonesia's
national day on Thursday and several other key dates in August.
Speaking phone from the East Timorese capital of Dili, Nymo gave no
further details of the exchange of fire but said the Fijian soldiers were
expected to file a detailed report on the clash later Thursday.
He said the clash occurred west of the border town of Suai, 110
kilometers (68 miles) southwest of Dili.
An upsurge in attacks on the UNPKF by suspected pro-Jakarta militias in
the border area in recent months has prompted calls from the UN to
Indonesia to keep a tighter rein on militias based in West Timor.
Two peacekeepers, one from New Zealand and one from Nepal, have been
killed in firefights over the past month.
Nymo said Wednesday that peacekeepers estimated some 150-200 militiamen
were currently in East Timor, operating in five to eight groups.
However he described the situation across East Timor on Thursday as
"quiet."
Other key dates on which peacekeepers were anticipating disturbances
were the 25th anniversary of the pro-independence Falantil army's creation
on Sunday, the anniversary of last year's independence ballot on August
30, and the CNRT congress on August 21-29.
The CNRT, or the Council for East Timorese Resistance, headed by
resistance leader Xanana Gusmao, is the main group that fought for
independence in East Timor when it was under Indonesian rule.
Nymo said peacekeepers had set up extra roadblocks and increased
patrols for the remainder of August.
"It's the same increased tempo of operations you'll be seeing in
all sectors including the border area and the central sector that includes
Dili," he said.
Over the border, in the West Timor capital of Kupang, UN staff said
there had been no disturbances Thursday in either Kupang or the border
town of Atambua.
The UN, which is helping resettle thousands of refugees that fled the
wave of militia violence that followed last year's independence vote,
pulled most of its foreign staff out of Atambua last Saturday after
pro-Jakarta militias surrounded and threatened their offices.
The International Organisation for Migration (IOM) had taken on two
extra police guards for Indonesia's national day, in anticipation of
possible militia disturbances.
Both IOM and UN High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) staff were
observing the national holiday Thursday and not in their offices, a UNHCR
representative said.
"I attended the flag-hoisting ceremony at the (West Timor)
governor's residence this morning, that went very well ... and I will
attend the ceremony to pull the flag down at around 5 o'clock this
evening," Adelmo Risi of the UNHCR said by phone.
Among the guests at the morning ceremeony in Kupang was Eurico Guterres,
the leader of the feared Aitarak (Thorn) militia, a witness who preferred
not to be identified said.
Indonesia Thursday was commemorating 55 years of independence from
Dutch colonial rule.
August Menu
World Leaders Contact List
Human Rights Violations in East Timor
Main Postings Menu
Note: For those who would like to fax "the
powers that be" - CallCenter V3.5.8, is a Native 32-bit Voice Telephony software
application integrated with fax and data communications... and it's free of charge!
Download from http://www.v3inc.com/ |