| Subject: SMH: UN Force on High Alert as
Timor Militia Stalk
Sydney Morning Herald Friday, August 18, 2000
UN force on high alert as militia stalk
By MARK DODD in Suai and JOANNA JOLLY in Kupang
Security on the East Timor border is at an all-time high, with the
United Nations peacekeeping force struggling to cope with militia
incursions which have left some local people afraid and vulnerable.
Up to 150 militia from Indonesian West Timor are believed to have
crossed the border, and UN officers fear peacekeepers are their targets.
A former militia leader in the West Timor capital, Kupang, said
yesterday that the militia would particularly target Australian and
Portuguese troops.
The heightened tension comes ahead of the anniversary on August 30 of
East Timor's vote for independence and next month's anniversary of the
arrival of international troops in the territory.
Fijian peacekeepers near Suai exchanged fire with four militiamen
yesterday close to the border and were continuing to track them last
night.
The Fijians had laid in wait for the militia along an infiltration
route in rugged forested country 10 kilometres north-west of Suai.
No Fijian troops were injured during the brief exchange of fire, which
occurred after the militia were told to drop their weapons.
The gun fight comes amid extreme security along the entire
172-kilometre border. About 1,600 Australian, New Zealand, Fijian,
Nepalese and Irish troops have secured the border, a number UN commanders
now regard as under strength.
The militia attacks come as several countries are rotating their
battalions out of East Timor. A Philippine contingent has been moved to
Dili to allow more Portuguese to fan out into higher-risk areas of
southern Ainaro and Cassa.
On Tuesday, the deputy commander of UN forces in East Timor,
Major-General Mike Smith, warned that the security situation was at an
all-time high, not seen since the UN took over from the Australian-led
Interfet force in February.
Two peacekeepers, a Nepalese and a New Zealander, have died in clashes
with the militia in recent weeks, although UN officers say these were the
result of chance encounters rather than planned attacks.
Local people have reported numerous sightings of militia in the past
fortnight. Small bands have penetrated as far as Ainaro district, despite
a huge security operation by UN peacekeepers. Some people in the district
are now leaving their houses at night to sleep in the forest, fearing
militia attacks.
The New Zealand battalion commander, Lieutenant-Colonel Martin
Dransfield, said as many as 150 armed militia were believed to be in East
Timor, and their intention was probably to try to kill UN peacekeepers,
not local people.
People in Holbolu hamlet, close to the site of last week's clash with
Nepalese troops, said yesterday that militia had tried to come into town
for food.
Recent violence has left locals scared and vulnerable.
"The PKF [UN peacekeeping force] have asked us not to leave the
village because there are many militia in the area," Mr Jose de
Jesus, a farmer, said. But he needed to walk into the hills to hunt and to
graze his cattle, he said.
More than 100 people live in the village, but two families have already
moved to the safety of Suai, six kilometres away.
The men had ordered their wives and children to leave while they
remained, guarding family property, Mr de Jesus said.
In Kupang, a former militia intelligence head, Mr Elly Cater Ana, said
recent attacks on UN troops were carried out by militia and former
Indonesian soldiers who had hidden in East Timor's mountains for a year.
"I have heard that the groups in East Timor want to kill
Australian and Portuguese soldiers, especially Australians as since they
have been in East Timor they are not neutral," he said.
Local West Timor activists said they had evidence that elements in the
army continued to train militia. The activists named two training camps
close to the border town of Atambua and a hidden location near the village
of Sesekoe, east of Atambua.
August Menu
World Leaders Contact List
Human Rights Violations in East Timor
Main Postings Menu
Note: For those who would like to fax "the
powers that be" - CallCenter V3.5.8, is a Native 32-bit Voice Telephony software
application integrated with fax and data communications... and it's free of charge!
Download from http://www.v3inc.com/ |