| Subject: SMH/East Timor: Fear of militia
again grips border villagers
Also: Timorese flee to forests to escape militia
Sydney Morning Herald August 19, 2000
Fear of militia again grips border villagers
By Mark Dodd, Herald Correspondent in Labarai village
Hundreds of East Timorese villagers near the western border, still
suffering the emotional scars of last year's militia violence, are again
living in fear as United Nations peacekeepers are forced on the defensive
by small well-armed groups of hardline insurgents.
Mr Bernadino Lay, 40, a farmer, recounted a recent meeting with militia
infiltrators in dense forest just north of the hamlet of Labarai.
"The militia said: 'Don't tell the PKF [peacekeepers]. You Labarai
people, if you tell PKF or CNRT [the pro-independence movement] you will
be killed."'
On August6, as he does every week, Mr Lay walked with 10 other
villagers up the mountains to graze his cattle and hunt for wild game.
That day he and his friends suddenly found themselves surrounded by
heavily armed militiamen.
"I was shaking; I'm still worried. I just kept silent; I did not
move; they had surrounded us."
His friend Mr Elidio Andrade, 28, said he saw nine militia, half of
them dressed in Indonesian camouflage uniform. All were armed and
menacing.
"The militia told us, 'Stay seated; don't move. Just keep
silent."'
However, Mr Andrade said he could tell by listening to the regional
dialects what part of East Timor the militia were from. Some were members
of Eurico Guterres's Aitarak, speaking Tetunleric, many were Kemac from
Suai, and there were Makasae from Baucau.
New Zealand Army intelligence officers confirmed that former
northern-based militia had been reported infiltrating into East Timor.
Labarai's 856 people live simple lives centred on a small church and a
weekly market day. They live in sturdy traditional thatched-roof homes,
raise cattle, pigs and chickens and grow green beans, maize and bananas.
Just when they thought peace and stability were finally returning, the
militia launched a new offensive last month, the most likely targets being
UN peacekeepers or prominent local independence officials.
In the Labarai confrontation the militia asked the villagers if they
knew the whereabouts of Ruis Lopez, once a prominent Suai-based
pro-integration leader who has since switched sides and is now regarded as
a traitor. It is likely he is a target for a death squad.
The militia also sought information on the locations of the nearest UN
military post and aid agencies.
Further east along the main coastal road, 20 kilometres from Suai, the
residents of Holbolu, a small sub-hamlet in Beco, fear for their lives. A
clash last week between Nepalese peacekeepers and Mahidi militia just
outside their village left one Nepalese blue beret killed and four other
people injured, including one villager, shot in the legs in crossfire.
The hamlet warden, Mr Jose de Jesus, said: "We could hear the
sound of the weapons very close; we were very scared. I am responsible for
this area so I gathered everybody together and took them to the school.
People were very scared.
"The PKF asked us not to leave the village because there are many
militia around in the area."
Mr de Jesus echoed the fears of the Labarai villagers, saying: "We
need the PKF. It would be better if they stayed here. We would feel
better."
Already two families have had enough and have left for the security of
nearby Suai. Only the men have stayed to look after their homes and
property.
News of militia sightings travels fast. In Maununo village, on a remote
mountain ridge opposite Ainaro, in the shadow of mighty Mt Ramelau,
villagers have heard of a large group of militia seen down in the valley
in Zumalai. Many families leave their homes at night, preferring to brave
the chill mountain air in the forest than risk militia harassment.
They have good reason to be afraid: last year hardline militia murdered
12 villagers and injured five, suspecting them of being independence
supporters, Mr Fernando Xavier, the chief of the Ainaro CNRT branch, said.
Timorese flee to forests to escape militia
18.08.2000
By ANDREW PERRIN Herald correspondent AINARO -
Villagers in East Timor's mountainous central southwest have again fled
to the forest afraid for their lives, while others have organised
vigilante groups to defend themselves against possible militia attack. The
terrified villagers say they no longer trust the United Nations
peacekeeping force to guarantee their safety. The exodus to the mountains
of 1200 people from the remote village of Maununo, roughly 40km from the
West Timor border, is the first time people have felt compelled to leave
their homes since international security forces arrived in East Timor last
September. Hundreds of thousands of Timorese sought refuge in the
mountains after the wave of militia violence that swept the territory
following the August 30 independence vote. Most returned to their
burned-out villages and towns after an Australian-led Interfet force
forced the militia groups over the border into West Timor. In the past
month, the security situation along the rugged border separating
UN-controlled East Timor from West Timor has deteriorated, with militia
incursions into the newly independent state increasing. Militia assaults
in the past month have left two UN peacekeepers dead, including New
Zealand peacekeeper Private Leonard Manning, and plunged the already
traumatised Timorese living near the border into a state of panic. In
Maununo, the sighting of a militia group close to the village last
Thursday devastated the small farming community. Village chief Afonso Da
Cunha said when the people heard that militia were in the area they ran
straight into the forest. Last September, the militia killed 12 people in
Maununo in one of the worst single massacres recorded in the central
southwestern region. The town's entire population is now camped in the
open air along a river valley not far from the village, returning only by
day to stock up with provisions. "I will not return until the
peacekeeping force send some soldiers to live in the town," said
Marguerido Bianco, a mother of six, who is camped in the same patch of
dirt she and her family inhabited for a month last year before the arrival
of peacekeepers. Da Cunha claimed Portuguese peacekeepers based in Ainaro,
10km north of the village, were reluctant to base soldiers in the village
because of its inaccessibility by road. "They came here for 10
minutes on Saturday and told us that we should not be scared, and then
they left," he said. "But we are all still living in the
forest." The people's fears appear justified following a raft of
confirmed militia sightings in the area this week. In Cassa, 20km south of
Maununo, a militia group entered the town on Sunday night and left after
harassing the local populace. More worrying for the UN peacekeeping forces
was the presence of roughly 40 militia near the town of Hatu Buliko, high
in the mountains of central west Timor, on Sunday night. Cesar Opricio, a
UN senior inspector who travelled to Hatu Buliko on Monday to investigate
the sighting, said the frightened populace had formed a vigilante group to
defend the village against a militia attack. No one slept in the village
on Sunday night, he said. "They all huddled together and the men
formed their own security," said Opricio. "They were all heavily
armed with machetes. "They said they did not want a repeat of last
year. Things are getting worse. It's bad." UN officials in Dili fear
that today's anniversary of Indonesia's Independence Day may encourage the
militia to launch attacks to show their allegiance to Jakarta. UN
peacekeeping spokesman Lieutenant-Colonel Brynjar Nemo said security in
the border areas was being revised to counter the increase in militia
activity. end
August Menu
World Leaders Contact List
Human Rights Violations in East Timor
Main Postings Menu
Note: For those who would like to fax "the
powers that be" - CallCenter V3.5.8, is a Native 32-bit Voice Telephony software
application integrated with fax and data communications... and it's free of charge!
Download from http://www.v3inc.com/ |