| Subject: Indonesia to name main suspects in
Timor violence
Indonesia to name main suspects in Timor violence
JAKARTA, Aug 7 (AFP) - Indonesia's attorney general said here Monday
that his office should be ready to name those on a list of suspects in the
violence that ravaged East Timor last year within a month.
"The investigation is well underway, and the investigation team
has returned from East Timor. I think we'll begin to finalize their
findings in one or two weeks," Attorney General Marzuki Darusman
said.
"Then we'll come out with the announcement of the the list of
suspects. And then of course a full investigation will be undertaken and
this will be finalized in one or two months."
Darusman was speaking after meeting for more than an hour at an airport
hotel here with UN Human Rights Commissioner Mary Robinson.
Robinson was on her way back to Geneva after a week-long trip to East
Timor, which was devastated by Indonesian military-backed militia in
retaliation for its vote for independence from Indonesia last year.
Speaking to reporters after the meeting with Darusman, Robinson again
made it clear that if Indonesia does not bring the main culprits of the
Timor violence to trial, the UN will unilaterally call an international
war crimes tribunal.
"We are both aware of the importance of a credible system of
justice," Robinson told reporters.
"I brought a very strong message to the attorney general of the
deep concerns of the people of East Timor and the growing sense of
frustration and impatience that justice must be done.
"I am confident that we'll be very much on top of the agenda of
the attorney general in the coming weeks."
Asked if she was also sure that those guilty would be brought to trial,
she replied: "Yes, I am confident.
"I have made it clear that the important thing is to have a
credible system of trial of the worst of the perpetrators. The process
here in Indonesia is underway.
"I have offered, and the offer had been accepted, to send further
technical support and expertise in this very imnportant and difficult task
of the establishment of the human rights tribunal and the process of the
trial.
"In the event of all of that going ahead as I hope and believe,
then that's the preferred solution for the international community (rather
than an international war crimes tribunal)."
The Timor tribunal issue is ultra-sensitive in Indonesia, especially
because a preliminary probe named former armed forces chief General
Wiranto (eds: one name) as "morally responsible" for the
bloodshed.
Also, Indonesia lost thousands of soldiers during and after its
invasion of the former Portuguese colony in 1975. At the time, shortly
after the end of the Vietnam war, both the United States and neighbouring
Australia were believed to have supported the invasion.
Asked if he feared a backlash from elements of the armed forces if he
pushed ahead with the probe, Marzuki said that so far he had not run into
insurmountable obstacles.
"So far we're showed there's continuing support from the armed
forces and from the leadership of the armed forces," he said.
"And (the fact) that we have been able to get this far shows that
support is sustained. We expect we'll be given continued support from the
armed forces."
Many of the main militia leaders implicated in earlier reports of the
bloodshed, which left more than 600 hundred dead and the infrastructure of
the small half-island's economy in ruins, are currently in
Indonesian-controlled West Timor.
The militia mayhem, and the flight or forced expulsion of up to 250,000
people from East Timor, prompted the UN to authorize the dispatch of
international peacekeepers to halt it.
August Menu
World Leaders Contact List
Human Rights Violations in East Timor
Main Postings Menu
Note: For those who would like to fax "the
powers that be" - CallCenter V3.5.8, is a Native 32-bit Voice Telephony software
application integrated with fax and data communications... and it's free of charge!
Download from http://www.v3inc.com/ |