| Subject: SMH: Militia fears halt road aid
project in E. Timor
Sydney Morning Herald August 9, 2000
Militia fears halt road aid project
By MARK DODD, Herald Correspondent in Dili
The United Nations mission in East Timor, faced with increasing militia
violence over the past three weeks, has suspended a $1.5 million road
repair project amid security concerns for Australian contractors and other
workers.
It is the first time since February that the threat of pro-Jakarta
militia violence has stopped humanitarian work, in this case emergency
road repairs linking Bobonaro, in East Timor's mountainous south-west, to
Zumulai, on the southern coast.
Tasmania-based contractors Hazell Brothers stopped work on Monday on
the advice of Dili-based UN security advisers.
A company spokesman, Mr Louis Stevens, said it was hoped work could
resume as soon as security improved. In the meantime, 300 East Timorese
employees would be relocated to another road project.
The project was suspended after locals reported that a militia force of
about 30 had been seen moving north-east towards Ainaro.
A UN spokesman, Lieutenant-Colonel Brynjar Nymo, said the militia had
made contact with local residents, asking for food and inquiring about the
presence of peacekeepers and aid workers.
He said latest estimates of the number of armed militia inside East
Timor ranged from four to five groups, each comprising 10 to 15
insurgents, making a maximum of 75 armed militia at large.
The Zumalai-Ainaro region was the base last year of the Mahidi (Life or
Death Integration) militia, one of the most violent of the pro-Jakarta
paramilitaries.
August Menu
World Leaders Contact List
Human Rights Violations in East Timor
Main Postings Menu
Note: For those who would like to fax "the
powers that be" - CallCenter V3.5.8, is a Native 32-bit Voice Telephony software
application integrated with fax and data communications... and it's free of charge!
Download from http://www.v3inc.com/ |