| Subject: SMH: Dili film-maker denied entry
to Australia
Sydney Morning Herald August 10, 2000
Dili film-maker denied entry to Australia
By ANDREW CLENNELL in Canberra
A British film-maker who captured famous footage of the 1991 Dili
massacre has been barred from visiting Australia after he tried to enter
the country under a false name in 1995.
Max Stahl, who filmed Death of a Nation with journalist John Pilger,
wants to visit Australia for the Walkley Awards ceremony.
He admits that providing a false name in 1995 was a mistake, but says
he did so to get into East Timor at a politically sensitive time and to
protect himself from arrest.
He tried to enter Australia again in 1996, and Sydney MP Mr Laurie
Ferguson wrote on his behalf to the Immigration Minister, Mr Ruddock.
Mr Ruddock replied then that Stahl could apply for a visa but pointed
out his record.
Last year Stahl, whose full name is Max Christopher Wenner (Stahl is
his mother's name), tried to make a transit stop in Darwin on his way home
from Dili but was stopped by Australian officials.
In the 1995 incident, Stahl applied for an Australian visa in London,
using his real name.
He returned to the Australian Consulate with a false passport provided
by the Timorese resistance movement to apply for a second Australian visa
which he planned to use to leave East Timor. He would then use the visa in
his real name to attend a conference in Australia.
He was caught out when a consular official recognised him.
"I was told by many people in Timorese resistance and others that
I was on the black list," Stahl said yesterday from his home in
London.
In a letter to the Australian embassy in 1997, Stahl said: "For
reasons of personal security and the perceived threat to the lives of
contacts and colleagues in East Timor, it was ... essential that I should
not enter, reside or attempt to leave Indonesia under my legal name.''
Stahl said he was arrested for filming the 1991 Dili massacre and his
passport was "recorded".
A spokesman for Mr Ruddock said last night that the Government rejected
any suggestion Stahl had been refused "on the basis of activities in
East Timor".
"All people who are seeking a visa to enter Australia must meet
bona fide requirements ... nobody is above the law.''
August Menu
World Leaders Contact List
Human Rights Violations in East Timor
Main Postings Menu
Note: For those who would like to fax "the
powers that be" - CallCenter V3.5.8, is a Native 32-bit Voice Telephony software
application integrated with fax and data communications... and it's free of charge!
Download from http://www.v3inc.com/ |