| Subject: DPA: Indo minister says rogue
military may be aiding militias
Also: Indonesia
says can't control E.Timor border
Deutsche Presse-Agentur August 11, 2000
Indonesian minister says rogue military may be aiding militias Jakarta
Indonesian Defence Minister Juwono Sudarsono conceded on Friday that
rogue military personnel may be continuing to train and support
pro-Jakarta militias launching new cross-border attacks into United
Nations-controlled East Timor.
The minister's disclosure came amid an alarming increase in militia
activity in East Timor in recent weeks, including a firefight on Thursday
in which a Nepalese peacekeeper was killed and three of his comrades
wounded.
Two weeks ago, a New Zealand peacekeeper was shot dead by militiamen
who infiltrated the territory from Indonesian West Timor near the border
town of Suai.
The U.N. and foreign nations including the United States and Australia
have criticized the Indonesian government for failing to disarm the
militias, who launched a murder and arson spree in East Timor nearly one
year ago after the territory voted overwhelmingly for independence.
The Indonesian army trained and armed the militias to terrorize the
population ahead of the August 30 ballot, and joined in the orgy of
violence that followed. The military and militias also forced more than
260,000 East Timorese at gunpoint across the half-island's border into
West Timor.
U.N. military officials in East Timor say the militias were likely
launching the incursions to show their frustration with losing the
election, seek revenge on the peace-keepers or attempt to destabilize the
territory.
One militiamen captured in East Timor last week told U.N. military
personnel that one of his comrades was an Indonesian army soldier.
Sudarsono told Deutsche Presse-Agentur dpa during an exclusive
interview that rogue army soldiers were "possibly" supporting
the militias, "but I can say for certain it's not the formal
commander, General Kiki Syahnakri. There may be problems below him,
especially in the camps."
The minister was referring to squalid refugee camps in West Timor run
by the militias, which hold more than 120,000 East Timorese who have yet
to be repatriated home.
Under pressure from foreign government to disband the militias,
Indonesia announced that it wanted to immediately close the camps,
repatriate refugees who wanted to return to East Timor and relocate those
who wished to stay in Indonesia.
"As long as the militias and refugees are allowed there, there
will be this cross-border problem," Sudarsono said.
But U.N. aid workers in West Timor said the presence of militias has
stalled the repatriation of the remaining refugees, many of whom are being
intimidated by militiamen to remain in Indonesia.
The U.N. refugee agency has tried to register the remaining refugees to
determine who wanted to return home, but the latest attempt was cancelled
after militiamen attacked the offices of their offices in West Timor.
Officials have said as many as 80 per cent of the remaining refugees
wanted to return home but were being intimidated to stay or being fed
misinformation about food shortages in East Timor and harsh treatment by
U.N. peacekeepers. dpa jc wp
EDITOR-NOTE: Eds: defence minister comments in an exclusive interview
Indonesia says
can't control E.Timor border
By Tomi Soetjipto
JAKARTA, Aug 11 (Reuters) - Indonesia conceded on Friday it could not
fully control its border with East Timor where another U.N. soldier was
killed in a gunfight with pro-Jakarta gangs, and said the only solution
was to close refugee camps in West Timor.
Indonesia has come under mounting international pressure to rein in the
miltiamen who operate with near impunity in and around refugee camps just
across the border inside Indonesian West Timor.
"We have been quite open about this problem...we cannot give 100
percent control," Foreign Ministry spokesman Sulaiman Abdulmanan told
Reuters.
He said the government had always barred armed people from entering
East Timor, which last year voted to break away from Indonesia.
"But once the people have crossed the border they are not our
responsibility anymore...they may store their weapons somewhere on the
East Timor side," he said.
A Nepalese soldier was killed and three others wounded on Thursday
night in the latest in a series of clashes between U.N. peacekeepers and
pro-Jakarta militias.
A New Zealand soldier was killed in similar circumstances last month.
Thursday's clashes broke out northeast of the town of Suai.
Earlier this month, the UNHCR suspended repatriation of refugees to
East Timor, accusing the militias of intimidating its staff.
Speaking in Singapore, Indonesian Foreign Minister Alwi Shihab said on
Friday the only solution was to close the refugee camps, where thousands
still live.
"By closing down the camp, the source of all those problems --
killing, tension could be abated," he said.
He said registration of refugees was a problem but Jakarta was
determined to get it done and would not let the militias get in the way.
Shihab said Indonesia was drawing up a plan to close camps in West
Timor and would call on international agencies, including the United
Nations, to help with the repatriation.
About a quarter of East Timor's population of 800,000 was forced to
flee after the impoverished territory overwhelmingly voted a year ago to
end 23 years of often brutal Indonesian rule.
The result of the vote triggered a wave of violence and destruction by
the pro-Jakarta gangs and international troops eventually went in to bring
it under control.
U.N. officials and diplomats have pressed Jakarta to end the
cross-border incursions and disband the militias.
August Menu
World Leaders Contact List
Human Rights Violations in East Timor
Main Postings Menu
Note: For those who would like to fax "the
powers that be" - CallCenter V3.5.8, is a Native 32-bit Voice Telephony software
application integrated with fax and data communications... and it's free of charge!
Download from http://www.v3inc.com/ |