| Subject: UN pull foreign staff out of W.
Timor border town; Refugees face militia terror
Agence France Presse August 12, 2000
UN pull foreign staff out of West Timor border town
JAKARTA, Aug 12 : Two UN agencies on Saturday pulled most of their
foreign staff out of the West Timor border town of Atambua, a day after
pro-Jakarta militia encircled and threatened their offices, UN officials
said.
The officials, speaking from Kupang, the capital of Indonesian West
Timor, said however that police and the military were negotiating with the
militia in Atambua, and that no incident had been reported there Saturday.
"At 5.30 this morning our sole expatriate staffer started for
Kupang. We advised him to join the UNHCR (United Nations High Commissioner
for Refugees) cars coming down (to Kupang)," International
Organization for Migration (IOM) representative Jose Remigio told AFP by
phone.
The UNHCR office in Kupang confirmed most of its foreign staff had left
Atambua, but declined to call it an evacuation.
"I would say we redeployed the staff ... this was after some
threatened demonstration by the Aitarak" militia, Adelmo Risi, a
UNHCR representative said.
"They are scheduled to be here (in Kupang) today and tomorrow.
When there are security problems, it is better to prevent them," he
added, but declined to give the exact number of people pulled out of
Atambua.
Neither Risi nor Remigio gave details of the seige of their offices in
Atambua on Friday.
But in Geneva UNHCR spokesman Ron Redmond said the militia had
"taunted staff members and threatened to attack the premises."
"Indonesian soldiers were called and the situation was brought
under control after several tense hours," he said.
IOM spokesman Jean-Philippe Chauzy said in Geneva their Atambu office
had also been "under siege today by at least 50 machete-wielding
Aitarak militia."
"Six staff remained trapped inside the building for several hours
before the Indonesian army intervened to disperse the crowd," Chauzy
said
Aitarak was involved in attacks in East Timor last year.
The UNHCR has interrupted its refugee repatriation program because of
high tension along the border, and Redmond said it would be several days
before it resumes.
"The IOM is bracing itself for further attacks on its West Timor
staff in the run-up to a major demonstration planned by the militias next
Wednesday," Indonesian independence day, Chauzy said.
Indonesian officials announced plans this week to close refugee camps
in West Timor immediately and open "transit centres."
Refugees who chose to return home will be taken to "transit
centres" along the border, according to the plans, and from there to
their final destinations inside East Timor.
The UNHCR was waiting for the next step by Indonesian authorities, and
it was "glad that they are beginning to make some moves towards
resolving this problem," Redmond said.
UN Secretary General Kofi Annan told Indonesia on Friday to stop
militiamen infiltrating into East Timor after a Nepalese United Nations
peacekeeper was killed in a firefight there.
In a statement, Annan said he was "concerned over the increase in
activities by armed personnel" in parts of the territory close to the
Indonesian province of West Timor.
Violence flared after the East Timorese voted overwhelmingly in favour
of independence from Indonesia in August 1999. Many of the militia chiefs
fled into Indonesian-controlled West Timor.
kw/tn/mtp
August Menu
World Leaders Contact List
Human Rights Violations in East Timor
Main Postings Menu
Note: For those who would like to fax "the
powers that be" - CallCenter V3.5.8, is a Native 32-bit Voice Telephony software
application integrated with fax and data communications... and it's free of charge!
Download from http://www.v3inc.com/ |