| Subject: RT: Indonesia Says Wiranto May
Still Face E.Timor Scrutiny
Also - Tempo: Wiranto Appeared on the Initial Suspect List
Monday September 4 5:49 AM ET Indonesia Says Wiranto May Still Face
E.Timor Scrutiny
JAKARTA (Reuters) - Indonesia's Attorney-General said on Monday former
military chief Wiranto may yet be formally declared a suspect in the probe
into the bloodshed that followed last year's East Timor independence vote.
Indonesia on Friday sparked demands for tougher action when it named
three generals among 19 suspects, but did not include Wiranto or key
leaders of the pro-Jakarta militias that carried out the violence with the
military's help.
Attorney-General Marzuki Darusman said on Monday he had so far only
named ``concrete actors'' involved in the field.
``Further investigations, from the aspect of the law, will disclose
where there is accountability of policy... whether it was deliberate or
negligence,'' he told reporters when asked why Wiranto was not named on
Friday.
``There is another aspect of human right violations. It is the aspect
of accountability of policy. Human rights violations basically can be
avoided if policies are taken to avoid that.''
Jakarta is under strong pressure to bring those responsible for the
violence to account, or risk an international war crimes tribunal.
Wiranto was in charge of Indonesia's armed forces when pro-Jakarta
militias backed by Indonesian troops and police went on a rampage in East
Timor after last year's August 30 vote to end more than two decades of
harsh Indonesian military rule.
The majority of East Timorese were forced from their homes and much of
the impoverished territory's infrastructure laid to waste in the violence
in which hundreds are believed to have died.
Multinational troops were eventually sent in to restore peace in the
former Portuguese colony which Indonesia invaded in 1975, but whose rule
was never widely internationally accepted.
The territory is now under United Nations administration as it moves
toward the election of a government late next year and independence.
The three generals formally declared suspects all had direct
responsibility for East Timor at the time.
They are Major-General Adam Damiri, who headed the military region
which included East Timor, the territory's then-military chief,
Brigadier-General Tono Suratman, and its then-police chief,
Brigadier-General Timbul Silaen.
--- Wiranto Appeared on the Initial Suspect List 4 Sep 2000 11:2:39 WIB
TEMPO Interaktif, Jakarta:The Secretary of the East Timor Human Rights
Violations Joint-Investigation Team, Adrianus Meliala, confirmed that the
investigation team list of initial suspects included the name of Gen.
(Ret.) Wiranto. In a conversation with TEMPO Interaktif, on Friday night,
September 1, Meliala expressed his astonishment at the exclusion of
Wiranto's name from the list when the Attorney General's Office (AG's
Office) released the list to the public yesterday morning.
According to Meliala, there are three possiblities for Wiranto's
exclusion. First, the AG's Office may not have paid attention to the team
recommendations. Second, the AG's Office probably accepted only a portion
of the 30 recommended names. Finally, the AG's Office had some reason for
not publicizing all the recommended names.
"Perhaps the Attorney General has a special strategy to buy time
or protect certain people. In this way, no one feels disgraced,"
Meliala asserted. The Attorney General, he added, had several
opportunities to publicize the agendas used during the investigation
process. But he never clarified his strategy. "I suppose there will
be another announcement on the excluded names. Maybe that list will be
announced not long before the investigation is ended. At that time, the
trial will have already started," Meliala said. "Therefore, if
someone feels disgraced, the process will almost be over."
During the investigation and recommendation process, Meliala said, the
expert and prosecutor teams reached an agreement. They would only differ
on matters of law. Both sides delivered five suggestions regarding legal
alternatives to the Attorney General. "The Government Regulation (Perpu)
No. 1/1999 is actually only one alternative. But it appears the Attorney
General prefers this alternative," Meliala stated. The other four
alternatives include a national trial based on international law,
combining national and international legal statutes, adopting only the
international law system, or delaying the announcement of the initial
suspect list and urging the House of Representatives (DPR) to immediately
create a new Human Rights Adjudication Law.
But Meliala also cited the continued rejection of the Perpu Law by the
DPR. After the first rejection, the Perpu can only be extended twice. The
first extension will occur on July 31, 2000 and the second on October 17.
"So, don't pass the deadline," he stated. If the deadline passes
without a new law, the Attorney General must issue a Decision to Halt the
Case Investigation (SP3) or dismiss the case entirely. "We're running
out of time," Meliala warned.
September Menu
World Leaders Contact List
Human Rights Violations in East Timor
Main Postings Menu
Note: For those who would like to fax "the
powers that be" - CallCenter V3.5.8, is a Native 32-bit Voice Telephony software
application integrated with fax and data communications... and it's free of charge!
Download from http://www.v3inc.com/ |