| Subject: Reactions to Australian Documents
Release
Reactions to Australian Documents Release
Also: Balibo documents "almost funny" says widow Shackleton
September 12, 2000, Tuesday Dunn says cables show Aust foreign policy
ill-conceived CANBERRA, Sept 12 AAP - Former diplomat James Dunn said
today's release of secret diplomatic cables showed Australia's foreign
policy towards Indonesia and East Timor in the 1970s was completely wrong.
Mr Dunn, a former consul to then Portuguese Timor and the author of
several books about the invasion and its aftermath, said Australia's
attitude had been disastrous. The cables showed Australian officials had a
secret stream of information and knew about the pending attack on Balibo,
where five Australian journalists were killed, three days before it
occurred. "It shows that Australian foreign policy was ill-conceived
and utterly unrealistically carried out," Mr Dunn told AAP.
"Anybody who knew the situation would have known there was no way
East Timor would have been persuaded to join with Indonesia for any kind
of self-determination.
"I think it had quite disastrous consequences because it showed
Indonesia it could acquire East Timor by any means."
September 12, 2000, Tuesday Balibo documents "almost funny"
says widow Shackleton
PERTH, Sept 12 AAP - The widow of murdered Australian reporter Greg
Shackleton today described newly-released documents about the killings of
five Australians in East Timor as "almost funny" and "Basil
Fawlty-ish".
Foreign Minister Alexander Downer today released almost 900 pages of
confidential diplomatic cables which showed Australia knew of Indonesia's
plan to invade East Timor through Balibo three days before the newsmen
died.
Shirley Shackleton said she had not seen the documents but believed
some vital details had been withheld.
"It makes me suspect the ones (documents) that were withdrawn must
be dynamite," Mrs Shackleton said.
"It's bizarre. It's almost funny. It's Basil Fawlty-ish."
Mrs Shackleton said the government should have acted to ensure the
men's safety immediately upon learning of the imminent invasion.
"What should have been done was for Mr Whitlam to tell the
Indonesian ambassador Mr Woolcott to go to the Indonesians and say 'the
Australian and British men are in Balibo, see that they're not hurt'.
"It was as simple as that. They shouldn't have even had to have
fought for a minute.
"It would've been bad enough if they'd done nothing, but what
they've done was tell lies.
"It's time to put an end to the farce and get real.
"It's comforting to think we've got them on the run in that they
felt they needed to do something (but) they're still covering up and
carrying on with the same pantomime".
Greg Shackleton, a Channel Seven reporter, was among the five newsmen
who had gone to Balibo to check out reports of Indonesian troops in the
area.
He was killed along with Seven sound recordist Tony Stewart and
cameraman Gary Cunningham from New Zealand, and Channel Nine crew Malcolm
Rennie and cameraman Brian Peters, both British citizens.
September Menu
World Leaders Contact List
Human Rights Violations in East Timor
Main Postings Menu
Note: For those who would like to fax "the
powers that be" - CallCenter V3.5.8, is a Native 32-bit Voice Telephony software
application integrated with fax and data communications... and it's free of charge!
Download from http://www.v3inc.com/ |