| Subject: SMH/E.Timor: 'Remember the past,
look to the future'
Sydney Morning Herald September 7, 2000
'Remember the past, look to the future'
By MARK DODD, Herald Correspondent in Suai
They gathered by the thousand, many bringing tributes of flowers to
mark the single worst act of militia violence in East Timor - the Suai
Cathedral massacre one year ago.
Outside the chapel where Fathers Hilario Madeira, Francisco Soares and
Dewanto were hacked and shot to death and their bodies burnt, hundreds
wept, laid flowers and placed candles.
About 4,000 people, many of whom had walked from remote areas, gathered
yesterday to attend mass and commemorate the September6 army-backed
massacre of as many as 200 independence supporters.
Dili's Nobel peace laureate, Bishop Carlos Belo, acknowledged in his
sermon the huge sacrifice made.
"In Suai, many people died in the cause of freedom for East
Timor," he said.
"It is important to remember our martyrs and heroes but it is also
important to look to the future with new hope and enthusiasm.
"We must start out from the ashes to build up this new country,
Timor Lorosae."
Before the mass, the bishop blessed a huge reconciliation hut built in
traditional style of thatch and freestanding poles. It houses an
exhibition of local culture and craft.
The ceremony was also attended by senior United Nations staff and
representatives of aid agencies based in Suai.
Trevor Reece-Jones, the former bodyguard of Princess Diana, was present
in his capacity as deputy UN security chief for Suai.
The huge grey, unfinished cathedral stood overlooking the central
market area, its concrete facade still showing bullet holes from last
year's violence.
"People were terrified; they had been attacked and they had no
protection. The militia were growing stronger and stronger and obviously
supported by the Indonesian military," Mr Patrick Burgess, the United
Nations head of human rights for East Timor, said.
Witnesses reported seeing trucks stacked with bodies driving over the
border to West Timor. One militia leader involved in the slaughter, Igidio
Manek, is also sought by UN human rights investigators for child
kidnapping and rape.
Senior UN officials said that before fleeing East Timor, Manek
kidnapped a 15-year-old girl as a "war prize".
She is now pregnant and has been paraded at the border surrounded by
armed militia. High-level requests have been made to Indonesian
authorities about her repatriation, a UN official said.
September Menu
World Leaders Contact List
Human Rights Violations in East Timor
Main Postings Menu
Note: For those who would like to fax "the
powers that be" - CallCenter V3.5.8, is a Native 32-bit Voice Telephony software
application integrated with fax and data communications... and it's free of charge!
Download from http://www.v3inc.com/ |