| Subject: The Australian: Why Carlos was
left to die in East Timor
THe Australian September 8, 2000
Why Carlos was left to die in East Timor
By Don Greenlees, Jakarta correspondent
HOURS before he died, Carlos Caceres-Collazo clearly harboured fears
for his life, sending an email to a friend in faraway Macedonia saying he
felt like "bait" for the West Timor militia.
But he kept his worries to himself. Outwardly to his colleagues,
Caceres-Collazo, a Puerto Rican lawyer, remained confident.
When his boss – the head of the Atambua office of the UN High
Commissioner for Refugees, Alias bin Achmad – told him to leave his
post, Caceres-Collazo said no.
"Where could I go?" Caceres-Collazo asked.
"Home," Mr Achmad said.
Hours later, 31-year-old Caceres-Collazo was one of five UN staff cut
down by machete blows from a mob of militiamen who stormed into the
office. The victims had kerosene poured on them and were then set on fire.
As they died, Australian and New Zealand helicopters were minutes away
in East Timor. Why they failed to arrive in time to save the UN staff was
the subject of debate and denial yesterday, with Australia rejecting
suggestions its red tape held back the best-equipped team.
Telling the harrowing story yesterday of the death of Caceres-Collazo
and colleagues Samson Aregahegh, an Ethiopian, Pero Simundza, a Croatian,
and two local workers, Mr Achmad accepted blame for the decision not to
evacuate the office before the militia attack.
The UNHCR in the West Timor border town had at least three hours'
warning that a huge convoy of militiamen was on its way.
Mr Achmad was worried enough to seek advice from local police and
military about the security situation. He was assured there was unlikely
to be any trouble.
However, it was decided to reduce staff numbers from more than 20 to
about nine, with 11 armed policemen stationed outside as protection.
It was a fatal error. Mr Achmad said that when 50 to 100 militiamen
arrived on motorcycles at 12.15pm, all that was left to do was implement
an agreed escape plan – jump the back fence to hide in a neighbour
ing house.
Reflecting on his failure to order an evacuation earlier, Mr Achmad
said: "(It was) unlucky in the sense that we were wrongly assured in
this case by the police and the military that things would not go out of
hand. And I think, at the same time, also an error (of judgment)."
But the question remains, how could the UN have left its people in the
field when evidence had been mounting of a serious threat to their
security?
UNHCR staff spoke yesterday of a common reluctance of staff to pull out
and abandon refugees because of the difficulties of then re-opening an
office. Among UNHCR evacuation plans was an understanding that the fastest
way out would be an airlift by UN forces in East Timor.
But this evacuation plan was founded on two factors that broke down in
Atambua on Wednesday: an individual judgment by UNHCR staff in the field
to order an evacuation and a misplaced faith that Indonesian police and
soldiers would not stand by and allow foreigners to be killed.
Caceres-Collazo had his doubts. He wrote to his friend in Macedonia
when he heard the militia were coming that "we sit here like bait,
unarmed".
"These guys act without thinking and can kill a human being as
easily (and painlessly) as I kill mosquitoes in my room."
September Menu
World Leaders Contact List
Human Rights Violations in East Timor
Main Postings Menu
Note: For those who would like to fax "the
powers that be" - CallCenter V3.5.8, is a Native 32-bit Voice Telephony software
application integrated with fax and data communications... and it's free of charge!
Download from http://www.v3inc.com/ |