| Subject: NYT: Indonesia Is Pressed To End
Militia Terror
The New York Times September 9, 2000, Saturday
HEADLINE: SUMMIT IN NEW YORK: THE ATROCITIES; Indonesia Is Pressed To
End Terror By Militias
By CHRISTOPHER S. WREN UNITED NATIONS, Sept. 8
The Security Council tonight condemned the murder of three United
Nations refugee workers in West Timor on Wednesday and insisted that the
Indonesian government take immediate steps to disarm and disband the
militias that are believed to be responsible for the killings.
In a resolution approved by all 15 member countries, the Council
declared itself "appalled" by what it called "this
outrageous and contemptible act against unarmed international staff who
were in West Timor to help the refugees."
It further told Indonesian authorities to adopt "immediate and
effective measures" to ensure the safe return of as many as 100,000
refugees who fled attacks in East Timor last year after its residents
voted for independence from Indonesia. Many refugees now want to go home
but have been intimidated against doing so by the marauding militias.
United Nations workers could not return to West Timor, the Council
said, until the Indonesian government credibly guaranteed their security.
This included "real progress" toward disarming and disbanding
the militias, who have resisted independence for East Timor with covert
arms and backing from supporters within the Indonesian military.
Moctar Ouane of Mali, who holds the Council's rotating presidency this
month, announced that the Council would also send a delegation to
Indonesia and East Timor to help carry out its resolution.
The Council sent a delegation to East Timor a year ago when a massacre
erupted after the independence vote. As a result, the United Nations
decided to administer the territory's transition to self-rule.
Remarking on the climate that led to the latest murders in West Timor,
the United States representative to the United Nations, Richard C.
Holbrooke, told reporters that "directly or indirectly, it is
elements within the Indonesian military who are responsible for this, who
could have been removed a long time ago."
"We don't know exactly who's behind it," Mr. Holbrooke said.
"If we know exactly who it is, we'll deal with them."
The three victims, who were killed by a mob linked to a local militia
group, worked for the office of the United Nations High Commissioner for
Refugees in West Timor. They were Carlos Caceres, 33, who was from from
Puerto Rico; Samson Aregehegn, 44, an Ethiopian; and Pero Simundsa, 29, a
Croat.
The Security Council adopted its resolution only hours after
Indonesia's president, Abdurrahman Wahid, conveyed his nation's "very
deep sorrow" for their "horrific death." He promised to
punish the killers.
"We are in disbelief and outraged that such unspeakable crimes
were committed against the good people of the U.N.H.C.R.," Mr. Wahid
said in a letter to Secretary General Kofi Annan. "The people of
Indonesia mourn with the families of those who were brutally
murdered."
"We condemn the perpetrators of this criminal act, who appear to
be disguising themselves as pro-integrationist East Timorese," he
said, "and we vow to bring them to justice."
He said that calm had been restored in Atambua, the town where the
killings took place.
"I think now the situation is very good there," Mr. Wahid
said. "That is according to the full report I got this morning."
Despite his assurances, sketchy reports surfaced of a new massacre of
as many as 20 civilians, in Betun, about 40 miles from Atambua, on
Wednesday and Thursday.
Mr. Wahid said that two military battalions had been sent to Atambua
and that the authorities had detained 19 people there on suspicion of
ransacking the United Nations office. Another man, he said, had been
detained in connection with the killing of a militia leader, Olivio
Mendonca, whose funeral on Wednesday brought militia supporters together
before they attacked the office.
The attack in Atambua, coming after continuous harassment by the
militias, has forced the United Nations to pull its staff out of West
Timor. The last of more than 400 employees of the United Nations and other
aid groups were flown out today, with no plans for their return.
"It's more a question of 'if' rather than 'when,' " said Ron
Redmond, a spokesman for the high commissioner for refugees.
Mr. Redmond said his office had repeatedly asked the Indonesian
authorities to separate "these militia thugs" from the refugees
in the camps.
"None of the assurances we have been given have been met, and now
we have three people dead," Mr. Redmond said. "So far as we're
concerned, the time for words has passed and we want to see some action on
the ground."
September Menu
World Leaders Contact List
Human Rights Violations in East Timor
Main Postings Menu
Note: For those who would like to fax "the
powers that be" - CallCenter V3.5.8, is a Native 32-bit Voice Telephony software
application integrated with fax and data communications... and it's free of charge!
Download from http://www.v3inc.com/ |