|Subject: east timor headlines/31July2001
Bahasa Indonesia Headlines Tuesday 31 July 2001
1. Indonesian government strongly protests shooting of TNI soldier at
1. Indonesian government strongly protests shooting of TNI soldier at border (Suara Timor Lorosae, front page headline)
The Indonesian government has lodged a strong protest against the UN Peacekeeping Forces following the shooting of a TNI soldier, on Saturday, at the border between Tilomar-Suai and Belu district in Indonesia-controlled West Timor.
According to an Indonesian Foreign Ministry statement, Jakarta wants UNTAET to conduct a comprehensive investigation into the incident and bring those responsible to task.
Jakarta, according to Metro TV, also wants an official answer into the shooting from UNTAET and guarantees that the incident would not be repeated again.
The body of the Indonesian soldier, First Sergeant Lirman Hadimu, 21 arrived at Makassar’s Hassanuddin Airport yesterday evening from Denpasar.
2. Brigadier-General Wilson: Shooting incident will not harm PKF-TNI ties (Suara Timor Lorosae, front page side-bar)
The UN PKF commander of Sector West Brigadier-General Richard Wilson said the recent shooting incident at the border would not harm ties between the UN peacekeeping forces and the Indonesian army. He said the ties between both parties were well entrenched.
Brigadier-General Wilson said an investigation would be carried out soon into the incident, where TNI soldier First Sergeant Lirman Hadimu was shot dead.
Meanwhile at a press conference at UNTAET yesterday, PKF spokesperson Captain Isabello R Sanchez said PKF had shot dead a TNI soldier at the border between Tilomar-Suai and West Timor’s Belu district.
He said there were no casualties from the PKF side.
Captain Isabello said the PKF patrol would not have opened fire if they were not fired at first.
“They had not much of a choice but to return fire when they were fired at,” he added.
3. The 30 August election would not be postponed (Suara Timor Lorosae, front page third lead)
The head of the Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) Carlos Valezuela said yesterday the Constituent Assembly election scheduled for 30 August would not be postponed.
“All the procedures have been adhered to and there are no more obstacles to the holding of the election,” he said at a press conference.
He said IEC offices had already been established in the 13 districts with 540 staff 272 internationals and 268 local staff to ensure the success of the 30 August election.
Valezuela said the IEC main priority was registering the 16 political parties in the country.
“From the 16 political parties, 968 candidates (5 of which are independents) have been named to contest for 75 Constituent Assembly seats on the national level,” he said.
Valezuela also said there were 84 district candidates 11 of which are independents vying for 13 district Constituent Assembly seats.
4. Eight hundred police ready for elections (Timor Post, front page third lead)
In its effort to ensure an incident-free 30 August election, Civpol will deploy 800 Timor Lorosae police force members who will be working together with their international colleagues.
This was announced at the UNTAET press conference yesterday by Civpol spokesperson Jose Carvalho.
Carvalho said all Civpol commanders from the 13 districts will attended a meeting in Dili on 1 August to make security plans for the 30 August election.
“This is the first time where Civpol in all the districts are involved in one concerted plan,” said the spokesperson.
Note: For those who would like to fax "the powers that be" - CallCenter is a Native 32-bit Voice Telephony software application integrated with fax and data communications... and it's free of charge! Download from http://www.v3inc.com/