Subject: East Timor Press Review, 12 December 2002
Colonel Lere Anan Refuses TNI Request Suara Timor Lorosae reported on Thursday that FDTL Colonel, Lere Anan Timor rejected an invitation by TNI to travel to Atambua in regards to the arrest of a East Timorese soldier in Atambua, West Timor on December 2. Lere argued that the soldier entered Atambua on his own initiative and was off duty at the time of his arrest said the newspaper. The Coronel stressed that FDTL has never instructed any of its members to enter another country without the proper procedures and the illegal of the soldier was not under FDTL instructions.(STL)
18 MPs Will Be Interviewed in Relation To Riots The team established by the Parliament to investigate December 4 incidents will interview 18 Members of Parliament, reported STL. (STL)
Re-establishment of FDTL and Police Informants MP Gregorio Saldanda (Fretilin) said on Wednesday that FDTL and the Police should re-establish informants intelligent to help conducive security reported the media. Saldanha stressed that security is a very important matter, and therefore FDTL and the Police should appoint intelligence officers to pass information to security in order to avoid incidents similar to the ones which took place last week. Meanwhile MPs agreed on a proposed security system for the Parliament. (STL, TP)
Bishop Belo Appeals to End Destruction Bishop Belo appealed to population to work together to maintain stability and security. Belo said a healthy democracy means a healthy country and to achieve peace, all citizens must respect the law. He said problems currently faced by the country can only be addressed through dialogue. STL reported the bishop speaking at the opening of a Portuguese school in Dili on Wednesday.(STL)
Gun Returned to Baucau Police Seven suspects involved in Wailili incident on November 18 were presented to Dili District Court on Wednesday. Baucau District prosecutor, Domingos Barreto said that the police did not arrest the seven suspects. Barreto said the group decided to surrender to Baucau District Administrator on December 8 after the head of the sub-district approached them. STL reported that two suspects, including the one who snatched the police gun, surrendered on December 10 with the pistol. (STL)
Victim's Family: Government Responsible for Death STL reported Thursday that the relatives of Calisto Soares, the 27-year-old man wounded by a shotgun during the attack at Baucau police station demanded a judicial enquiry into his death. They accused the Government of being responsible by the incident and said that those guilty (including police) must be tried said the newspaper.
Bishop Nacimento: Security and Justice very important In a 2-part series interview with Timor Post, Bishop Basilio do Nascimento said Security and Justice are the two main pillars of the country at present. The bishop said all the Timorese dreamed of independence but the country still lacks intellectual and economy capacity.(TP)
School Principal Rejects Responsibility for Riots The Principal of 28 November school, Jaime Soares told the media on Wednesday that he is not responsible to the riot that took place on December 3 and 4. Soares said the school has been running under the supervision of priests and nuns. He said reports about the school are incorrect and the investigation team must investigate the case including the police.
Note: For those who would like to fax "the powers that be" - CallCenter is a Native 32-bit Voice Telephony software application integrated with fax and data communications... and it's free of charge! Download from http://www.v3inc.com/