Subject: AN: TNI will not reinforce Timor border

TNI NOT TO REINFORCE PERSONNEL ALONG E TIMOR-INDONESIAN BORDERS

April 29, 2005 11:08pm Antara

Kupang, E Nusa Tenggara, April 29 (ANTARA) - The Indonesian military (TNI) will not reinforce its personnel along the East Timor-Indonesia borders despite the recent shooting incident in the area that left an Indonesian first lieutenant injured, a spokesman said on Friday.

"It seems that three battalions of soldiers that have been deployed there are quite enough to protect our country's sovereignty against foreign infiltration," chief of the Wirasakti Military Command in East Nusa Tenggara Col. Amir Hamka Manan said.

First Lt. Deddy Setyawan was shot in the leg by police officers of the East Timor Border Patrol Unit (BPU) last Friday as he and other Indonesian soldiers were patrolling the border.

Tension along the border has been escalating following the UN's decision to pull out peacekeeping forces from East Timor on May 20 after more than five years of assignment.

Only recently, residents of Lakufoan village in Oecusee district, East Timor, attacked Nelu hamlet in Timor Tengah Utara district, East Nusa Tenggara.

Earlier, on Thursday, Col. Manan said the TNI would not attend any meetings with East Timorese officials to discuss the recent shooting incident before the perpetrators had been prosecuted.

(THROUGH ASIA PULSE)


Back to April menu 
March  
World Leaders Contact List
Main Postings Menu