Subject: Fw: UNMISET Daily Press Review 4 February 2005

UNMISET Daily Press Review

Compiled by the Public Information Office from national and international sources

Daily Media Review Friday, 4 February 2005

Boundary talks to resume in March

Timor-Leste has formally accepted Australia's invitation to resume maritime boundary negotiations. According to Australia's chief negotiator in the long-running border dispute, Doug Chester, the East Timorese have now formally come back, accepting our invitation for talks in mid-March". The talks aimed at settling ownership of vast oil and gas reserves in the Timor Sea will be held in Canberra.

Mr Chester restated that Canberra was happy to focus on formal legal negotiations to settle a permanent boundary "but we're also open to creative solutions" that would allow development of oil and gas projects to proceed pending a permanent boundary. Discussions between Dili and Canberra broke down in October last year. (Australian Financial Review)

Indonesian Ambassador: There Is No Militia Infiltration

The Indonesian Ambassador to Timor-Leste, Ahmed Yusuf B Sofian, believes there is no concrete evidence of militia infiltration into Timor-Leste from West Timor. The Ambassador said he checked the matter with Indonesian border officers, who claim no such activity is going on.

According to Sofian, cooperation between Indonesian and Timor-Leste's border officers has been good so far, adding that whenever there is a problem the two sides try to inform each other and take the necessary action to solve it. In addition, Sofian said that at the meeting between the border officers of Timor-Leste and Indonesia last month, the issue of militia infiltration was not raised. (Timor Post)

Dengue fever update in Timor-Leste

As of 1 February, the World Health Organization (WHO) has received reports of 95 cases of dengue infection and 11 deaths. Out of the 95 cases, 61 had clinical features compatible with dengue haemorrhagic fever (DHF) and 34 were diagnosed as suspected dengue fever (DF). Nearly 90 per cent of cases reported were in Dili.

The Ministry of Health, with the assistance of WHO, is organizing a seminar for case management of dengue and DHF for clinicians and nurses. WHO is also providing support to the Dili National Hospital in the management of dengue and DHF and in targeting intervention in high-risk areas. (Press Release: WHO)

No Perpetrators for 4 December Incident

The Prosecutor General, Longuinhos Monteiro, said that investigations have failed to identify anyone for the incident of 4 December 2002. The original report filed by UNPOL only recounted the incident as it occurred, without identifying any perpetrators. As the report did not contain any concrete facts, the courts could not use it as the basis for an indictment.

The office of the Prosecutor General then returned the document to UNPOL for completion, but has yet to receive anything back. Monteiro said that while the people may be counting on him to finalise the case with a court appearance, he is in fact waiting for UNPOL to act. He said that he is unable to do anything more without further action from UNPOL in the form of a further investigation. According to Monteiro, if he does not receive a further report by the end of UNMISET's mandate on May 20 his office will begin a new investigation based upon the original evidence. (STL)

Claudio: Don't Doubt the Ability of International Judges

The President of the Appeals Court, Claudio de Jesus Ximenes, has asked the people of Timor-Leste not to doubt the international judges currently working in Timor-Leste. He said that they are deciding cases based upon Timor-Leste law and that they will continue to decide cases while there are no local judges to do so. He said that if need be, the number of international judges will be increased, but that for the time being those that are here are able to handle all current cases. They are stationed in the four District courts - Dili, Baucau, Covalima and Oecussi. (STL)

Bishop Belo: "People Still Need Xanana in 2007"

Speaking to the press on Thursday, the former Bishop of Dili Diocese, Carlos Filipe Ximenes Belo, is hoping President Xanana Gusmao will run again for the next presidency election in 2007. The comments were made following reports being circulated overseas stating that Bishop Belo would like to assume the post in the 2007 election.

I believe there are some politicians who will run for it if President Xanana will not do so," said Bishop Belo. "However, I think it is better for Xanana to run for it because we still need a figure like him," he added.

The 1996 Nobel Peace Laureaute said he is more inclined to focus on his function as a missionary in Mozambique, which is still ongoing and therefore he expects Xanana Gusmao to continue his role as the President of Republic. (Timor Post, STL)

Falur Rate Laek: F-FDTL and PNTL Need To Compliment Each Other

In delivering a speech during Falintil-FDTL's 4th anniversary in Baucau on Tuesday, the Commander of F-FDTL's First Battalion, Falur Rate Laek, stated that PNTL and F-FDTL are friendly institutions that need to compliment one another. As servants of the nation, Rate Laek hopes that the two institutions portray good examples to the public on a daily basis. Moreover, Rate Laek explained that it is not only through high level meetings and sport games that problem can be solved between the two bodies, but there is a need to tackle it by fostering good relations daily. (Timor Post)

Prosecutor General Consults President on the Remains Kept at Serious Crime Unit

The Prosecutor General, Longinhos Monteiro, has consulted President Xanana Gusmão on how to deal with the rest of 33 unidentified remains kept at the office of Serious Crimes Unit. According to Monteiro, he is concerned with the matter since UNMISET will conclude its mission on 20 May 2005. Therefore, he said he has made an effort to find the solution for it by consulting the President of Republic.

Aside from consulting the President, Monteiro said he will also consult the Prime Minister and F-FDTL Commander on the issue. He said it may be possible for the remains to be buried at the Monument of Heroes in Metinaro. (Timor Post)


Back to February menu 
January
 
World Leaders Contact List
Human Rights Violations in East Timor
Main Postings Menu

Note: For those who would like to fax "the powers that be" - CallCenter is a Native 32-bit Voice Telephony software application integrated with fax and data communications... and it's free of charge! Download from http://www.v3inc.com/