Subject: UNOTIL's Daily Media Review 15 September 2005

[Poster's note: Long repeats of international articles already sent out to the east-timor list (info@etan.org) have been removed.]

UNOTIL

Compiled by the Public Information Office from national and international sources

Daily Media Review

Thursday, 15 September 2005

National Media Reports

Lu Olo: Fretilin Not Forcing Children to Take Part in Campaign

The President of the National Parliament, Francisco Guterres (Lu-Olo), is reported as saying that the Fretilin party is not forcing children to participate in the current election campaign because children do not have the right to vote. He reportedly added that Fretilin will not, however, stop children from listening to Fretilin's political campaigning. Responding to criticisms from some organisations about the involvement of children in Fretilin's election campaigning, Guterres told journalists that no one is forcing the children to take part in the campaigning, but that they are participating of their own free will. (TP, STL, Diario Nacional)

Truth and Friendship Commission To Receive SCU Documents

Timor Post reported that both Directors of the Truth and Friendship Commission from Timor-Leste, Dionisio Babo and Indonesia, Benjamin Mankudilaga had received a letter from the President of Court of Appeal Claudio Ximenes last Friday stating that the Commission could have access to the documents of cases related to serious crimes that had been decided by the Court. Dionisio Babo was quoted as saying that the Commission is also expected to be able to have access to documents of the Commission of Reception, Truth and Reconciliation (CAVR) pending their final report to be released formally next month. (Timor Post)

Street Vendors Demonstrate Against Dili District Administration

Tens of street vendors from Comoro Market, Dili demonstrated against Dili District Administration on Wednesday, STL reported. The demonstration, facilitated by two local NGOs: La'o Hamutuk and Rede Dai Popular was an attempt by the vendors to demand promises made by Dili District Administration to provide basic proper facilities for Comoro Market such as clean water, toilets, garbage bins and the rehabilitation of the market building itself. The vendors also demanded the responsibility of Dili District Administrator for actions taken so far by the Administration in ordering police officers to dismantle the vendors' kiosks. The vendors considered such actions as inhumane. In addition, the vendors insisted upon the neutrality of the Dili Administration in taking actions against foreign street vendors. In response to the demonstration, Dili District Administrator Ruben Braz thanked the vendors who managed to come to his office and raised their concerns, adding that all actions taken by Dili Administration so far were in accordance with the norms of city management. (STL)

Gene Ward: No Political Motive Behind the Presence of US Peace Corps Volunteers

Coordinator of the American Peace Corp volunteers has reportedly told STL that the presence of Peace Corps volunteers in Timor-Leste is not politically motivated, and that their mission here is a humanitarian one. Speaking after a ceremony held to present certificates of Tetum language course completion to the volunteers who will work in Timor-Leste for the next two years, Ward is reported to have explained that the Peace Corp organization is independently funded and is not mandated by the US Government. He said that the presence of the volunteers here is upon a request from Timor-Leste through the Timor-Leste Minister for Foreign Affairs and Cooperation to his American counterpart, with the aim that the volunteers will assist and cooperate with the Timorese community in a range of areas. For example, the volunteers assigned to work in the field of health will educate the community on the nutritional value of certain types of foods. (STL)

CPD-RDTL Members Flee to Mountains Due to Police Action

CPD-RDTL Members are reported to have fled to the mountains last week after Police actions against the group by Baucau PNTL officers, the Rapid Intervention Unit and the Police Reserve Unit. According to information received from the Baucau District Police Commander Inspector Pedro Belo, CPD-RDTL members are reported to have been threatening and forcing the community of Laivai village, Los Palos, to join their organisation. Members of the community, reportedly scared of CPD-RDTL's threats, reported the matter to the police who went to investigate the situation. Upon their arrival, members of the organization fled. CPD-RDTL General Coordinator Antonio Aitahan Matak confirmed that members of his organization had fled to the mountains after a quarrel with the police. (Diario Tempo)

50 Members of Border Patrol Unit on Hunger Strike Due to Unsatisfactory Food

The Commander of the PNTL Border Patrol Unit, Abilio de Carvalho in Maliana is reported to have told the media that 50 members of the Border Patrol Unit in Mota Ain are on hunger strike for the third day due to the unsatisfactory food provided for their consumption, reported STL. Commander Carvalho argued that food changes are needed for the hard work of the Border Patrol Unit where they have to patrol 118 posts along the Mota Ain border areas. Moreover, Buibere Food Company reportedly confirmed that basic menu of cabbage that it has provided so far is due to lack of funds disbursed since taking on the contract. (Suara Timor Lorosa'e)

Xavier's Clarification on the Houses to be Knock Down as Published on 14 Sept by Timor Post

Director of the National Land and Property Department, Pedro de Sousa Xavier clarified to the media that the houses he referred to as reported by Timor Post on 14 September are only those houses that are currently within the area or site of the future establishment of Chinese Embassy, Timor Post reported. Pedro de Sousa Xavier made the above clarification due to the concerns of the Aitarak Laran local residents of the rumors that the Timor-Leste Government will relocate the whole community of Aitarak Laran. Mr Xavier was quoted as clarifying, "It is not true, the Government would only remove those houses that are within the area when the future Chinese Embassy would be constructed." (Timor Post)


Regional Media Reports

East Timor Upbeat Following World Bank Business Report

The prime minister of East Timor, Mari Alkatiri, says a new World Bank report shows that, on balance, his government is performing well. The report analyses 155 economies based on the environment for doing business, including regulatory controls and corruption. Mr Alkatiri says that while East Timor is ranked 142 in the list of 155 economies, the report acknowledges Dili's achievements. He adds the document does not take into account new investment laws, set to be introduced this year. (ABC Asia Pacific TV / Radio Australia)


National News Sources

Timor Post (TP)
Suara Timor Lorosae (STL)
Diario Tempo (DT)
Diario Nacional
Seminario
Lia Foun (LF)
Televisaun Timor-Leste [TVTL]
RTL Radio Timor-Leste [RTL]

These items do not reflect the positions or views of the United Nations.

UNOTIL Public Information Office


-End-



[This message was distributed via the east-timor news list. Write info@etan.org.]






National News Sources

Timor Post (TP)
Suara Timor Lorosae (STL)
Diario Tempo (DT)
Diario Nacional
Seminario
Lia Foun (LF)
Televisaun Timor-Leste [TVTL]
RTL Radio Timor-Leste [RTL]


These items do not reflect the positions or views of the United Nations. UNOTIL Public Information Office

-End-
 


Back to September  menu 
August
World Leaders Contact List
Main Postings Menu