|Subject: UNOTIL's Daily Media Review
24 & 26 September 2005
[Poster's note: Long repeats of international articles already sent out to the east-timor list (email@example.com) have been removed.]
Daily Media Review
Compiled by the Public Information Office from national and international sources
UNOTIL Daily Media Review
September 24th & 26th 2005
National Media Reports
President Gusmão Comments on Political Parties’ Statutes and Philosophy
It is reported that President Xanana Gusmao has said that he wants to know more about the regulations and philosophies of the political parties, namely whether the party regulations are being implemented according to party statutes, and whether the party philosophies are being applied in the relations of the party with the people. After meeting with the President last Friday, Secretary General of the ASDT political party Gil Alves told journalists that the President is keen to learn more about the above aspects, adding that the President would also like the political parties to formulate development programs that are beneficial for the people. According to Alves, the President wants the political parties to talk less about the past and focus more on the future and a better life for the people. (TP)
MP Ximenes: Falintil Veterans Need to Reform
It is reported that the sacrifice that the Falintil veterans made during the period of struggle cannot be recognized with just medals, but there must also be reform, according to the President of the Christian Democratic Party (PDC) Antonio Ximenes. Speaking to journalists, Ximenes’ said that during his meeting with President Xanana Gusmao on Friday, they discussed the possibility of reform of the Falintil veterans, as well as the economic situation of the country, and justice. Ximenes told journalists that the PDC is currently preparing a proposal for veteran reform to be submitted to the President. (TP)
MP Lelan: Indonesian Population Destabilizes Border Area
It is reported that the people of Tibiselo, Oesilu, of the enclave of Oecussi were panicked last Thursday when a group of Indonesian citizens entered and burned some land in Timor-Leste territory. Member of the National Parliament, Independent Antonio Lelan is reported to have said that this is provocative behaviour from the Indonesians, designed to destabilize the border regions. Speaking to journalists, Lelan expressed his concerns as to why the Indonesian military post stationed in the region allowed the Indonesians to enter Timor-Leste territory. He appealed to the Minister of Interior to take action to secure the area, and to the Minister of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation to inform the Indonesian government of the incident. According to Lelan, the Indonesian government has failed to inform its population of the accord denoting border demarcation lines signed between the two governments in Bali several months ago, with the result that the Indonesian population remains uninformed, and border crossings and infiltrations continue to occur. Secretary of State for the Oecussi region Albano Salem told journalists that he has informed the President of the National Parliament, as well as the Minister of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation of the incident, so that the Minister may discuss the incident as well as the several other incidents that have occurred in the area recently with Indonesia’s representative in Dili. (STL)
National Parliament to Hold Seminar on Electoral Regulation for 2007 Elections
During its parliamentary factions meeting last week, the National Parliament decided to hold a seminar in October concerning the electoral regulation for the 2007 elections. National Parliament Secretary Francisco Carlos told journalists that the seminar will be jointly held with a Swedish delegation, in accordance with the unofficial parliamentary accord. (TP, TVTL)
CPLP Meeting To Be Held in Timor-Leste For the First Time
STL reported that the 20th meeting of the General Directors for Border Control Units of the Community of Portuguese Speaking Countries (CPLP) was going to be held for the first time in Dili, Timor-Leste for five days, starting today. National Director of the Border Control Unit, Uldarico Maria Rodrigues, would head Timor-Leste’s delegation for the meeting. The primary objectives of the meeting are to establish harmonization in various practices of border control to apply a uniformed document for all of the Community of Portuguese Speaking Countries. During the meeting, Timor-Leste would present the Code of Conduct for Border Control Management. Acting Prime Minister, Minister of State Administration Ana Pessoa along with Minister of Planning and Finance Madalena Boavida representing Timor-Leste’s Government would attend the meeting. (STL,TVTL)
Macario dos Santos: CPD-RDTL Members Damaged Eulese’s Health Centre
Speaking to Timor Post last Thursday, Village Chief of Eulese, Lautem District Macario dos Santos informed that Eulese’s Health Centre had been closed for the last three weeks due to the damage caused by a CPD-RDTL member on 1 September. It was reported that five of the windows of the building were totally destroyed. Lautem District PNTL Deputy Commander Fasio de Jesus Lima, when questioned about the case, stated that an investigation had been carried out by PNTL. To attend the medical needs for the local population temporarily, a mobile clinic has been since operated under the supervision of Cuban medical doctors deployed in the area. (Timor Post)
MP Amaral: National Security Services Should be Better Equipped
Speaking at the workshop hosted by NDI and USAID on security sector auditing MP Clementino Amaral was reported as stating that in order for PNTL and F-FDTL to better perform their security services in patrolling the border and preventing people from stealing natural maritime wealth of Timor-Leste, both PNTL and F-FDTL need to be better equipped, reported Timor Post. MP Clementino also reportedly said that although Timor-Leste is stable and secure there are still problems such as martial arts issues and the issue of CPD-RDTL. F-FDTL Chief of Staff, Colonel Lere Anan Timor stressed that internal security matters should be addressed otherwise it would further contribute to any external threats. Diario Nacional on also quoted Minister of Interior, Rogério Lobato as saying, “the Government of Timor-Leste would try to improve conditions for PNTL to enable them to perform their duties according to the law.” Minister Lobato made the above statement during the dispatch of 13 district PNTL officers last week. He further clarified that the conditions referred to are such as insurance/compensation. (Timor Post)
Regional Media Reports
UK's Princess Anne to launch BBC World Service next week
Princess Anne of the United Kingdom will visit East Timor next week, inaugurating the British Broadcasting Corporation's Portuguese language service in the country during her two-day stay, a diplomatic source told Lusa Friday. Princess Anne, the diplomat said, would also meet with President Xanana Gusmão and Foreign Minister José Ramos Horta and visit charitable institutions.
Her Royal Highness (HRH) The Princess Royal will visit Timor-Leste with her husband Rear Admiral Laurence, on 27th and 28th September 2005. During the visit HRH will meet President Kay Rala Xanana Gusmao, and Senior Minister/ Minister for Foreign Affairs and Co-operation, Dr Jose Ramos-Horta. Topics for discussion will include the achievements of East Timor since independence in 2002 and the challenges still faced. During the visit, The Princess Royal will visit the Child Friendly Space Learning Centre, ASSERT Physical Rehabilitation Centre, Alola Foundation and will launch the BBC World Service FM Broadcasts in Dili. (Lusa, Release)
Malaysian Human Rights Expert Delivers Training for the Provedor
A training programme for the Provedor Mr. Sebastião Dias Ximenes and his Deputy Silverio Baptista Pinto coordinated by the UNOTIL Human Rights Unit was completed on Friday 23 September 2005. The training was funded by the UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights arranged after consultation with the Asia Pacific Forum of National Human Rights Institutions (APF), of which Timor-Leste is now a candidate member.
The five-day training programme was delivered by Vice-Chairman of the National Human Rights Commission of Malaysia, Mr. Simon Sipaun who commented that “the programme is an important step on the never-ending journey to promote and protect human rights in Timor-Leste”. Mr. Simon also congratulated the Provedor on the strong legal mandate he has been given to promote and protect human rights in Timor-Leste. He also commented on the current process of drafting a National Human Rights Action Plan as demonstrative of a strong commitment by the Timor-Leste government to human rights.
During the training programme, practical advice was provided to the Provedor on establishing procedures for management and staff training, the drafting of internal procedures for receiving and investigating human rights complaints as well as education and promotion of human rights to the people of Timor-Leste. The training programme also focussed on the importance of the establishment of good working relations with other state institutions such as the Prosecutor-General, PNTL, the Office of the Inspector General, the Courts and the Office of the Prime Minister’s Advisor on Human Rights. There was also emphasis on the Paris Principles on National Human Rights Institutions for the Office of the Provedor to function effectively and independently.
Provedor Sebastiao Dias Ximenes stated that “the programme has been very useful to us. The discussions and the sharing of experience in setting up a national human rights institution will help us in establishing a strategic plan for the human rights aspect of the mandate of Timor-Leste’s Office of the Provedor”.
UNOTIL has already provided one national human rights officer to the Office of the Provedor. An international human rights officer will shortly be provided to the Office of the Provedor in addition to other human rights officers who will be provided to the National Parliament, the Office of the Advisor on Human Rights to Prime Minister and the Ministries of Interior, Defence, Education and Ministry of Foreign Affairs. (UNOTIL)
For more information please contact: Mark Harris - + 670 7230746 or Sebastião do Rego Guterres - + 670 724 111
National News Sources Timor Post (TP), Suara Timor Lorosa’e (STL), Diario Tempo (DT), Diario Nacional (DC), Semanario, Lia Foun (LF), Televisaun Timor-Leste [TVTL], RTL Radio Timor-Leste [RTL]
These items do not reflect the positions or views of the United Nations. UNOTIL Public Information Office
[This message was distributed via the east-timor news list. Write firstname.lastname@example.org.]