|Subject: AN: No extra security measures at
border with Timor Leste so far
Apr 03 18:04
No extra security measures at border with Timor Leste so far
Jakarta (ANTARA News) - The Indonesian government has so far not taken any extraordinary security measure in regions bordering Timor Leste in connection with recently reported unrest in the neighbouring country`s capital of Dili, a spokesman said.
"We heard about developments in the situation in Timor Leste from mass media, especially about security disturbances. But they are an internal affair of Timor Leste in which there is no business at all," Foreign Affairs Minister Hassan Wirajuda said here Monday.
He said Indonesian border police were surely always on alert to anticipate further developments in the situation in Timor Leste. "But so far we have not taken any extraordinary security measure in our border regions," he said.
On reports that a number of foreigners from Dili had crossed the border and entered Indonesian territory to avoid unrest in Timor Leste, Hassan said, the exodus would only be temporary.
"If there are foreigners or Indonesian citizens who crossed into Indonesia with legal papers, I think it will be just for a certain period of time," the minister said.
The Indonesian government was continuously coordinating with the Indonesian Embassy in Dili in monitoring developments in Timor Leste.
Earlier, last week, some 30 Indonesians who had been living in Dili reportedly crossed the border into East Nusa Tenggara territory to escape from unrest in Dili, following the dismissal of 600 members of the Timor Leste armed forces (FDTL), one third of the country`s regular troops, for deserting the forces.
The troops were members of Falintil, the military wing of Fretilin.
However, later in the week, the situation in Dili was reported to have returned to normal and there were no "waves of refugees" to Indonesia as predicted before. (*)