|Subject: UNOTIL Daily Media Review 13 June
Compiled by the Public Information Office from national and international sources
Daily Media Review Tuesday, 13 June 2006
Attention Media Review Subscribers.
Yesterday’s (12 June) media review contained a translation error. The correct sentence should read:
Referring to reports of allegations by a commander called Railos on an Indonesian television station that Prime Minister Alkatiri distributed guns, Guterres reiterated it is nothing more than a propaganda and Alkatiri himself had restated he did not distribute guns.
National Media Reports
UN Security Council will discuss follow-on mission
Minister of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation, José Ramos-Horta reportedly told the media on Monday the UN Security Council is likely to extend UNOTIL mission for one more month to allow discussion on the nature of the follow up mission. According to Timor Post Tuesday, Ramos-Horta said the Security Council would also discuss the international police force for Timor-Leste as well as the transition of the present international forces from bilateral contribution to peacekeeping forces. He added that a total of 500 international police is required now with the number increasing for the 2007 elections. The Minister told the media he is not attending the Security Council meeting due to the current situation of the country but Timor-Leste’s Ambassador to the United Nations, José Luís Guterres will present his speech.
On the security situation of the country, he said the international forces so far managed to recover about 1000 weapons from civilians including automatic rifles, pistols and light weapons. About allegations of distribution of guns to civilians, Ramos-Horta pointed out that President Gusmão is monitoring the reports very closely to find out who distributed the weapons. (TP)
Fretilin militant prepared to be eyewitness
Vicente da Costa, also known as Railos reportedly said he is prepared to testify regarding the distribution of weapons by Prime Minister Alkatiri to civilians in Liquiça District. Railos said he will be an eyewitness when Prime Minister Alkatiri appears in an international court on the acts he considers a crime, reported Timor Post (TP) on Tuesday. He would like the President to be aware of his statement and would like human rights organization to look into this matter seriously. Railos stressed that his team is under threats and would like President Gusmão to organize their safety until he is able to testify and hand over the guns, adding he had to make the appeal via the media, as he cannot personally meet the President and hopes his request is addressed as soon as possible. Railos claims to be a militant of Fretilin who received guns following a meeting with Mari Alkatiri and Rogerio Lobato before Fretilin’s second congress. (TP)
Lu’Olo appeals for continued support
Fretilin’s President, Francisco Lu’Olo Guterres appeals to militants to continue to support the actual party’s leadership who were elected by the majority of the delegates in the second congress last month. He added, the supporters must revitalize and strengthen the party’s structure and maintain vigilant in their area. On the accusation made by Vicente da Conceição alias Railos, a Fretilin member, about distribution of weapons by Alkatiri and Lobato to civilians, Guterres said it is all propaganda to diminish Fretilin. (TP)
International Media Reports
Singapore pledges 50,000 USD in humanitarian aid for Timor-Leste
13 June 2006 Source: Xinhua
The Singapore government has pledged 50,000 U.S. dollars in humanitarian assistance for Timor- Leste, Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a brief statement Tuesday.
"Recognizing the importance of international support and assistance to respond to the crisis in Timor-Leste, the Singapore government has pledged 50,000 U.S. dollars to the UN Flash Appeal for Timor-Leste, which was launched on 12 June 2006," the statement said.
The United Nations Monday appealed for nearly 19 million U.S. dollars in humanitarian assistance for an estimated 133,000 people who have been displaced by recent violence in Timorese capital of Dili.
The unstable situation in Timor-Leste has been deteriorating in the past couple of weeks as 600 sacked soldiers, almost half the country's army, protested against claimed discrimination.
An international force including Australia, Malaysia and Portugal are helping to restore order in Timor-Leste at the government's request.
UN asks for $18.9 million for East Timor aid
Last Updated Mon, 12 Jun 2006 13:51:45 EDT
The United Nations appealed to relief groups and donor nations Monday for $18.9 million US to meet the growing humanitarian crisis in East Timor.
The appeal by UN Emergency Relief Coordinator Jan Egeland follows weeks of rioting that displaced about 133,000 people in the Southeast Asian nation.
"Those who have been displaced by the deplorable violence of the past weeks need our help," said Egeland. "We must now provide for those who fear harm may befall them."
The money will be used to distribute food, prevent the spread of disease and provide emergency shelter over the next three months.
The latest trouble in the world's newest nation started in April after Prime Minister Mari Alkatiri fired about 600 soldiers from the country's western region.
The soldiers had gone on strike, claiming they were being overlooked for promotions because of regional discrimination.
The firings sparked a wave of protest marches and riots. About 70,000 people in Dili moved to safer locations in the capital and another 63,000 fled the city for the countryside.
East Timor became an independent country four years ago after centuries as a Portuguese colony, 24 years of occupation by Indonesia and 2½ years of administration by the UN.
Bigger budget to fund state salary hikes, Dili rebuilding, FM says
Dili, June 12 (Lusa) -The East Timorese government said Monday that it plans to raise public sector salaries by up to 20% after a revision of the new nation's state budget, which is also being reinforced to rebuild parts of Dili worst affected by weeks of violent unrest in the capital.
Foreign Minister José Ramos Horta, speaking to lawmakers in the Dili National Assembly, said around 15,000 civil servants would get salary raises of between 15 and 20%, with those in remote parts of the country getting as much as 50%.
Public sector salaries have not been increased in Timor for five years.
Ramos Horta said a revised budget, making provision for the state salary hikes, will be approved by the Dili cabinet Wednesday and subsequently sent to the national legislature for approval.
The revised fiscal blueprint is for a total euros 261 million and will also fund reconstruction of the Dili suburbs that suffered widespread property damage in recent communal violence.
The new budget replaces an earlier proposal for euros 190 million approved by the government before the eruption of violent disorder in the world's youngest nation.
"What the government wants to do is rebuild the districts, giving them much better living conditions with running water, electricity and basic sanitation", said Ramos Horta.CJB/EL.
These Items Do Not Reflect the Position or Views of the United Nations. UNOTIL Public Information Office