Subject: UNOTIL's Daily Media Review 01 March 2006

UNOTIL

Compiled by the Public Information Office from national and international sources

Daily Media Review

Wednesday, 01 March 2006

National Media Reports

F-FDTL Investigation Not Impartial + Australia Moves Advisors from Training Centre

According to the F-FDTL soldiers who have been investigated in relation to the recent F-FDTL case, the investigation is focusing more on who organized the petition and who supported it, rather than the issues at hand, giving the impression that the Commission is blaming the soldiers for what happened, rather than attempting to resolve the problem. Speaking in the National Parliament, MP Antonio Ximenes protested the fact that the same people who have been accused of wrongdoing in the petition are the ones investigating the petitioners. He said that President Xanana is not using the right strategy, and that he should be creating conditions that the protestors can have confidence in.

Australia has temporarily transferred its F-FDTL Advisors from the training academy at Metinaro to Dili, in order to avoid any unwanted situation and in the interests of the safety of their citizens. According to the Australian Government, this will remain the case until the F-FDTL situation returns to normal. (STL)

Need for Civic Education for Political Party Supporters

Head of the Fretilin bench in the National Parliament Francisco Branco has said that political parties need to provide civic education to their supporters. Speaking to STL on Tuesday, in reference to the recent occurrence in a Same village in which the KOTA party flag was lowered, Branco said that there is a need to understand the people's mentality and the reality of their situation. He explained that it is not useful to compare this country to others, and that "we must consider problems such as these in relation to the concrete reality and mentality of our people". He also stated that the democracy that Timor-Leste implements must be in accordance with its own reality and not a copy of that of other more advanced countries. (STL)

Lawyers Request Halt On Lasama Court Case

Lawyers representing Fernando “Lasama” Araújo, President of Partido Democratico (PD) have requested the Prosecutor General to halt the case, as Indonesian penal codes 310 and 316 are not valid and there is no legal basis to accuse him. Vital dos Santos, one of the lawyers and spokesperson for Araujo, reportedly said that the Prosecutor General knows that defamation is not a crime, based on the Executive Order No. 2/2000 from the then Administrator of Timor-Leste Sergio Vieira de Mello. The clause on the defamation had been decriminalized from penal to civil code.

PD held a mini conference in Same sub-districts to select delegates for the district conference with the aim to form youth structures. Mario de Araujo, PD's coordinator for that area said the recent desertion of members to other political party only shows that they are frustrated. According to reports, the number of party supporters has increased in Suai from 5,000 to 17,000. (STL)

RTTL News Headlines

Santos: Defamation investigation on La Sama should stop

The Lawyer Vital dos Santos reportedly called on the Prosecutor General Longinhos Monteiro to stop the investigation on Fernando La Sama regarding a defamation case because there is no legal base as the Penal Code has not been promulgated by the President. Meanwhile, the Prime Minister, Mari Alkatiri stated that it was the competency of the court to decide whether the case was legal or illegal. Alkatiri affirmed that if the court's decision does not satisfy him, he will take the case to the Court of Appeal.

General Prosecutor continue to investigate PM

In his response to Vital dos Santos, the Prosecutor General, Longinhos Monteiro reportedly said that the case will continue to be investigated. Monteiro added that the Indonesian penal code, especially Articles 306 and 310 will be used "to bring the case forward."

TL does not change position on Wiranto: Monteiro

Speaking on a different matter, Longinhos Monteiro said that despite the establishment of CTF by Timor-Leste and Indonesia, the accusations against perpetrators of Serious Crimes are still valid. He had reportedly told CTF Commissioners in a previous meeting that based on cases of the Prosecutor-General, the incidents in 1999 were systematic.

Three days Storm expected in Timor-Leste

Interior Minister, Rogerio Tiago Lobato held a meeting with the Timor-Leste National Disaster Management officials on Tuesday, RTTL reported. Speaking to journalists after the meeting, Minister Lobato said that his Ministry had received information from the Australian Meteorology service about a possible storm forecast to hit Timor-Leste on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. However, Lobato called on the population to remain calm.

National News Sources Timor Post (TP) Radio Timor-Leste (RTL) Suara Timor Lorosae (STL) Diario Tempo (DT) Diario Nacional Seminario Lia Foun (LF) Televisaun Timor-Leste [TVTL]

These Items Do Not Reflect the Position or Views of the United Nations. UNOTIL Public Information Office


Back to March menu
February menu     
World Leaders Contact List
Main Postings Menu