|Subject: UNOTIL Daily Media Review 2 May
Compiled by the Public Information Office from national and international sources
Daily Media Review
Tuesday, 2 May 2006
National Media Reports
Police asked petitioners for responsibility Salsinha: We are still in the jungle + Police asked petitioners for responsibility + Mari appealed to petitioners to return + If Xanana is still quiet, I will not surrender
In relation to the violence last Friday, the Commander of PNTL Mr. Paulo Martins asked the 594 petitioners to take responsibility for what has taken place in Dili. Mr. Martins told the reporters that he went to meet the petitioners to ask them to stay calm but they became violent and began burning cars at the Government Palace. “They burnt a motorbike right in front of me which I saw with my own eyes.” Mr. Martins said. “We had an agreement with the petitioners last week that there would be no violence but they broke their promise so they have to be responsible for what they did”. In response to Mr. Paul’s statement, Spokesperson for the petitioners, Mr. Gastao Salsinha, told a TP reporter via telephone that he blames the leaders because they were not willing to solve their problems. “I just want to say that we are in the jungle because no one can find a solution anymore” Mr. Salsinha said.
Prime Minister Mari Alkatiri has appealed via the media to the petitioners to return to Dili to solve their problem. Mr. Alkatiri said, “On behalf of the Government, I appealed to the petitioners to return especially the leaders of petitioners. I’ve asked them to come back so we can find the best solution together and maintain our national unity.” Diario National quotes Mr. Salsinha as saying, “If Xanana is still quiet, I won’t surrender because I only trust President Xanana since he is our Supreme Commander” he said. (DN TP, STL))
Xanana asked population to return home
President Xanana Gusmão appealed to the population seeking refuge at Don Bosco College in Comoro and the USA embassy to return home because the situation is under control. “I hope there will be no East and West issue because we all struggled for independence and everyone participated. The East and West issue is only dividing us,” the President said.
He also appealed to the youth to help build peace in this country. “I understand how you feel because we are all traumatized by the conflict of the last 24 years especially the 1999 rampage and I am asking you to return home”. On the same occasion, people asked the President, “You have asked us to return home but who will guarantee our security because F-FDTL are still shooting around Dili. Before, TNI killed us and now Police and F-FDTL want to kill us again. When will they stop shooting?”
“There will be no shooting anymore,” Mr. Xanana responded to their questions. It was also reported that the Government will provide assistance to those who lost their property. (STL)
45 members of petitioners under security of PNTL
The commander of PNTL, Mr. Paulo Martins, told the reporters that 45 members of the petitioners are now under the security of PNTL for further investigation. In relation to the rumors that many people have been killed by unknown people, Mr. Martins said that since last Friday until today, four people have been killed and 77 injured but the perpetrators have not yet been identified. (STL)
National News Sources Timor Post (TP) Radio Timor-Leste (RTL) Suara Timor Lorosae (STL) Diario Tempo (DT) Diario Nacional Seminario Lia Foun (LF) Televisaun Timor-Leste [TVTL]
These Items Do Not Reflect the Position or Views of the United Nations. UNOTIL Public Information Office