|Subject: UNMIT Daily Media Review: 10
Friday, 10 August 2007
UNMIT - MEDIA MONITORING
THE UN INTEGRATED MISSION IN TIMOR-LESTE DOES NOT VOUCH FOR THE ACCURACY OF THESE REPORTS
** THIS DOCUMENT IS NOT FOR FURTHER DISTRIBUTION **
National Media Reports
UN condemns violence in Baucau and Viqueque
The Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Timor-Leste, Atul Khare, has strongly condemned the violence in Baucau and Viqueque over the past 24-hours.
At least seven buildings in Baucau, including three government facilities, three non-government organization offices and one court, as well as seven private houses in Viqueque, have been set on fire. Other violence has included widespread stoning of vehicles and buildings.
United Nations police officers (UNPol) in conjunction with the national police of Timor-Leste (PNTL) and the International Security Forces (ISF) have been fully deployed to contain and put a stop to the violence. Approximately 224 tear gas shells have been used along with rubber bullets to disperse the groups involved. Two UNPol officers have been injured, one seriously. An additional formed police platoon is being sent to Baucau today as reinforcement.
Since yesterday, 45 people have been arrested for their participation in the violence in Baucau.
'I strongly condemn this violence that is regrettably being committed by people who claim an allegiance to Fretilin' Mr. Khare said.
Recalling that the Secretary-General of Fretilin, Dr. Mari Alkatiri had earlier strongly condemned all acts of violence and had assured the Special Representative that Fretilin would take all possible steps to calm the situation, Mr. Khare stressed that 'it is essential that the message of non-violence be communicated strongly and repeatedly until it is respected by all.'
The UN Special Representative Mr. Khare will travel to Baucau and Viqueque on Saturday with President José Ramos-Horta to assure the population that the State is acting to quickly re-establish peace.
Elsewhere in Timor-Leste, the situation remains volatile but under control, with isolated and sporadic incidents of violence being reported. (STL)
F-FDTL deployed in Baucau and Viqueque
The Timorese government has deployed F-FDTL to Baucau and Viqueque districts to respond to the violence caused by Fretilin supporters.
The Prime Minister, José Alexander Xanana Gusmão reportedly held a meeting on Wednesday (8/8) with F-FDTL, PNTL and UNMIT to discuss coordination in order to address the tense situation in Baucau and Viqueque.
'F-FDTL has had presence in Baucau and Viqueque,' informed Mr. Gusmão after meeting with the President of Republic on Thursday (9/8) in Dili. (STL)
Claudio Ximenes: Rogerio has the right to medical treatment
The President of the Court of Appeals, Claudio Ximenes said that all Timorese citizens, including the former Interior Minister, Rogerio Tiago Lobato as a prisoner, have the right to receive medical treatment overseas if needed.
Speaking to journalists after the new government was sworn in on Wednesday (8/8) in Dili, Mr. Ximenes said that medical treatment overseas is a fundamental right and nobody has the right to refuse that. (DN)
Interference in Rogerio Lobato's case violates constitution
At a press conference held on Thursday (9/8) in the parliament, the Chief member of the national parliament from the Fretilin party, Aniceto da Silva Guterres said that the Minister of Justice's interference in Lobato's case goes against the Timorese constitution.
'The decision of the Alliance ' through the Ministry of Justice ' to stop Mr. Lobato's medical flight to Malaysia goes against the decision made by the other organs' said Mr. Aniceto.
He said that Lobato's case was authorized by the former Minister of Justice and judges and was stopped by the new government. This violates the democratic principles of this country and is considered an attack towards a Fretilin member. (STL and DN)
Domingos: Fretilin will always consider the decision as unconstitutional
The former Minister of Justice, Mr. Domingos Sarmento said that the decision made by President José Ramos-Horta to give the Alliance power to form the new government is unjust and unconstitutional as it is not based on the will of the majority of the people. (DN)
Lobato allowed to travel overseas
After long negotiations with the government, Rogerio Tiago Lobato ' accompanied by his family (two children, wife and two cousins) - on Thursday (9/8) was allowed to travel to Malaysia to undergo medical treatment. (STL)
UNMIT meets with political leaders
The United Nation Integrated Mission in Timor-Leste (UNMIT) led by SRSG Atul Khare reportedly held a meeting today (10/8) with all the political parties.
'Tomorrow, I invite all political parties to have a meeting with me as I have done in the past,' said Mr. Khare on Thursday (9/8) at the UNMIT weekly press conference in Dili.
Mr. Khare said that in the meeting he will remind all political party leaders about the Political Party Accord which they all signed prior to the elections on 30 June.
'The Political Party Accord was followed throughout the electoral process and I would like to remind the leaders and their supporters of this agreement,' said Mr. Khare. (STL)
President of Conoco Philips meets President of Timor-Leste
The President of the Conoco Philips Company, James Mulva met with President José Ramos-Horta yesterday (9/8) in Dili to discuss the development of the Timor gas and oil pipeline in the 'Greater Sun Rise (GSR)'.
Speaking to journalists, Mr. Mulva said that he was invited by the President to discuss these matters. The Timorese government will cooperate with Conoco Philips on this project until 2008. (STL)
Xanana: the government did not impede Lobato
Prime Minister Xanana Gusmão on Thursday (9/8), after the weekly meeting with President José Ramos-Horta in Dili, said that the actions of government to stop Lobato's medical flight to Malaysia were not meant to impede the process but rather to ensure that all proper procedures were met.
Mr. Gusmão explained that the new government had just been sworn in and needed to get all the information regarding Lobato's treatment. (TP)
Jose Luis: disregarding the ICI recommendations is undemocratic
The Director of the HAK Association, José Luis Oliveira said that the court's decision to disregard the list of people recommended by the International Commission on Inquiry following last year's crisis (including Mr. Paulo Martins, Mr. Leandro Isaac, Mr. Mari Alkatiri and others) goes against the Timorese constitution and democratic principles of the country.
According to Mr. Oliveira, the court's decision is meant to protect the political elite. (TP)
PM Xanana: If Rogerio flees, it is the responsibility of the former government
Speaking to journalists after meeting with President José Ramos-Horta on Thursday (9/8) in Dili, Prime Minister Xanana said that if Rogerio Lobato flees, it will be the responsibility of the former government. Lobato traveled to Malaysia for medical treatment.
'We have seen all the documents from the former Ministers of Justice and Foreign Affairs. We want to make sure that after the treatment, Lobato returns to Becora prison,' said the Prime Minister. (DN)
Atul Khare: 'UNPol, PNTL and ISF will not tolerate any violence'
At a press conference held on Thursday (9/8) in Obrigado Barracks in Dili, SRSG Mr. Atul Khare said that UNPol, PNTL and ISF will not tolerate violent acts in the country.
He said that instead of showing their commitment to the development of their country, the Timorese people are destroying their own houses and properties and not giving their new nation a chance to develop.
'I totally condemn the current actions done by Fretilin supporters in Viqueque, Baucau and Dili. I am disappointed to see that the Timorese are fighting each other. I am ashamed of their actions,' said Mr. Khare. (DN)
NATIONAL NEWS SOURCES: Timor Post (TP) Radio Timor-Leste (RTL) Suara Timor Lorosae (STL) Diario Tempo (DT) Diario Nacional (DN) Semanario Televisaun Timor-Leste (TVTL)