Subject: UNMIT Daily Media Review 08/05/07

[Poster's note: Repeats of international articles already sent out to the east-timor list (info@etan.org) have been removed.]

Tuesday, 8 May 2007

UNMIT ­ MEDIA MONITORING

THE UN INTEGRATED MISSION IN TIMOR-LESTE DOES NOT VOUCH FOR THE ACCURACY OF THESE REPORTS

National Media Reports

UNMIT takes 30 ballot boxes without confirmation from STAE

On Friday (4/5), two UN cars have allegedly taken 30 ballot boxes out without any knowledge from STAE.

The Director of STEA, Thomas do Rosario Cabral, said that the conductor of both cars brought the 30 boxes to Hotel Timor without any knowledge from STAE and that they were not accompanied by either PNTL or UNPol.

“Such attitudes compromise the transparency and tranquility of the electoral process and STAE has presented it to CNE and UNMIT in order that such attitudes should not happen again,” said Mr Cabral at a press conference on Monday (7/5). (TP)

STAE should be impartial in run-off Election

The member of national parliament from KOTA, Clementino Amaral, told TP on Monday (7/5) that STAE, and in particular the director of STAE, should demonstrate impartiality in the second round of the presidential election.

“From now on STAE has to avoid the bad things and should show its impartiality to all people through the director of STAE itself, in order that there will be no manipulations as in first round,” said Clementino. (TP)

Second round election, Chief of PNTL Viqueque suspended

According to a complaint received by CNE, the chief PNTL of Viqueque district, Gaspar da Costa, is behind violent actions and has been accused of attacking the supporters of some candidates in the first round of the presidential elections last month. As such, he is being suspended during the second round of the presidential elections.

The general commander of PNTL, Afonso de Jesus, stated on Monday (7/5) in PNTL HQ Caicoli Dili that since the case was received, he had directly suspended Gaspar da Costa for a one month period pending findings of the international investigation. (TP)

3100 PNTL are providing security for the election

The general commander of PNTL, Afonso de Jesus, informed journalists on Monday (7/4) at PNTL HQ Caicoli Dili that there are 3100 members of PNTL in all districts who are prepared to secure the run-off presidential election.

He stated that as PNTL is mandated to guarantee security based on article 147, they had to provide the maximum security. (TP)

Court of Appeal, Judgment on Rogerio’s case is on the way

The Secretary Intern Administration of the Court of Appeal, Maria de Fatima, told journalists on Monday (7/5) that the Court of Appeal will soon announce the date of judgment on ex-interior minister Rogerio Tiago Lobato.

Today State declares ways of solving Alfredo’s case

The high-level meeting held on Monday (7/5) publicly raised too many questions about the case of fugitive Alfredo Reinado. Today however, (8/4) the President of the Republic, Kayrala Xanana Gusmão, will declare the way in resolving Alfredo’s Case.

The meeting was composed of the President of Republic Kayrala Xanana Gusmão, Prime Minister Jose Ramos Horta with his two vices, Commander of ISF Brigadier Mal Rerden, Commander of F-FDTL Brigadier General Taur Matan Ruak, Prosecutor general Longuinhos Monteiro, vice president of national parliament Jacob Fernandes, SRSG Atul Khare and DSRSG Fin Rieske Nielsen. (TP)

Atul Khare deployed Mobile Team

To instill confidence in the people about the good security conduct during the second round of presidential elections, SRSG Atul Khare was accompanied by the UNMIT Police Commissioner, Mr. Rodolfo Tor, and other senior UNMIT officials, while monitoring the security. A meeting was also held with local authorities in deploying the Mobile Team which is composed by three members of PNTL and two members of UNPol.

Mr. Khare explained the new security plan for the districts, which involves Sector Mobile Teams comprising of United Nations Police (UNPol) and the Timorese police officers from the PNTL. Each team, which monitors between four and five Sucos will provide security, support and will encourage the residents to vote on Election Day. (TP)

High Level commission decide to halt the Alfredo operation

In its seventh meeting held on Monday (7/5), the high level commission officially decided to demand that the ISF halt the operation to capture the fugitive Alfredo Reinado Alves, preferring to concentrate instead on opening dialogue.

The decision will be announced by the President of the Republic, Kayrala Xanana Gusmão, today in Palacio das Cinzas Caicoli Dili.

The high level commission discussed the condition and situation of the fugitive Reinado with his men who had been given the sign to proceed with a dialogue. The Catholic Church agreed to be the mediator for such dialogue in order to overcome and find the solution for this crisis.

The meeting was composed of the President of Republic, Kayrala Xanana Gusmão, Prime Minister Jose Ramos Horta with his two vices, Commander of ISF Brigadier Mal Rerden, commander of F-FDTL Brigadier General Taur Matan Ruak, Prosecutor general Longuinhos Monteiro, vice president of national parliament Jacob Fernandes, SRSG Atul Khare and DSRSG Fin Rieske Nielsen. (STL)

Population of Comoro anticipating manipulation

To anticipate manipulation in the run-off presidential elections, the population of Comoro have called on each other to pay attention and to the process in order to ensure the elections would be held in a free, transparent and democratic manner.

“In entering the second round of presidential elections, we, the population of Comoro, remind each other to anticipate some maneuvers similar to those used to manipulate the polling centers during the first round of elections last month,” said the member of representative Suku Comoro Lino Pereira. (STL)

Ramos Horta promises to raise F-FDTL salary

Ramos Horta, in his campaign on Sunday (6/5) in Baucau, promised to try to increase the salary of F-FDTL and PNTL members as they are always away from their families and relatives.

“F-FDTL and PNTL have to get higher salaries then public servants,” said Horta.

He said that he will build barracks for these two institutions to be close with their families and relatives.

Ramos Horta also said that F-FDTL are the national forces of the country and that he would not disperse F-FDTL when elected as the president of republic as has been indicated by recent rumors spread throughout the country.

International Media Reports

Australians accused of intimidation

Lindsay Murdoch The Sidney Morning Herald May 7, 2007

CAMPAIGNING in East Timor's presidential elections ended yesterday amid accusations that Australian soldiers had intimidated supporters of the ruling Fretilin party candidate Francisco "Lu-Olo" Guterres.

Fretilin's secretary-general, Mari Alkatiri, accused soldiers of landing a helicopter and "inserting" soldiers into two Fretilin rallies in the central mountain town of Ainaro in the past week, which he said "disrupted the proceedings".

"Many of our members and supporters felt intimidated by this," Mr Alkatiri wrote in a letter to Mal Rerden, the commander of Australia's 800-strong force serving in a Dili-based International Security Force.

"Our constitution is clear on the need for the armed forces to remain free of political interference," Mr Alkatiri said.

Brigadier Rerden denied his soldiers had entered the rally area and mixed with people.

"I have personally investigated the issues you raise and I can confirm that the nearest ISF presence to the rally was around 50 meters," Brigadier Rerden said.

However, the Herald's Glenn Campbell took photographs of soldiers mingling in the crowd.

East Timor to Hold Presidential Runoff

Prensa Latina - Latin American News Agency

Dili, May 7 (Prensa Latina) The Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste has convened the presidential election runoff for Wednesday, to choose between Parliament Leader Francisco Guterres and Prime Minister Jose Ramos Horta.

Neither Guterres, from the governing Independent East Timor Revolutionary Front, nor independent Ramos Horta obtained the necessary 50 percent plus in the April 9 election.

The hotly contested election was plagued with an exchange of accusations between the two highest vote-getters, Guterres with 27.89 percent and Horta with 21.81 percent.

In a message to the citizenry, Atul Khare, head of the UN Mission to Timor Leste, congratulated them on the achievement of the first round, which he said demonstrated general maturity, tolerance and a commitment to democracy.

He called on the people to remain calm for this second presidential round and for the legislative elections June 30.

East Timor, located between Australia and Indonesia, has a population of more than 900,000 and ranks among the poorest countries in the world.

The ex Portuguese colony won independence in May 2002 following an August 1999 referendum that ended 24 years of Indonesian occupation. hr ccs emw dor

PL-31

NATIONAL NEWS SOURCES: Timor Post (TP) Radio Timor-Leste (RTL) Suara Timor Lorosae (STL) Diario Tempo (DT) Diario Nacional Semanario Televisaun Timor-Leste (TVTL)

UNMIT MEDIA MONITORING www.unmit.org 


Back to May menu
April

World Leaders Contact List
Main Postings Menu