|Subject: UNMIT Media Monitoring, October 4,
Thursday, 04 October 2007
UNMIT – MEDIA MONITORING
"UNMIT assumes no responsibility for the accuracy of the articles or for the accuracy of their translations. The selection of the articles and their content do not indicate support or endorsement by UNMIT express or implied whatsoever. UNMIT shall not be responsible for any consequence resulting from the publication of, or from the reliance on, such articles and translations."
National Media Reports
GNR and ISF to capture Railos
The GNR and International Security Forces (ISF) captured Mr. Vicente da Conceicao alias ‘Railos’ on Tuesday in Liquica district. Mr. Railos is alleged to have led armed civilians in an attack on the F-FDTL in Tasi Tolu during last year’s military and political crisis.
Mr. Railos is now in the preventive prison of Dili district with other five young men.
Longuinhos Monteiro, the Attorney General reportedly said that the arrest made by ISF and GNR based on evidence relating to the alleged trading of illegal weapons during last year;s crisis.
“The process of justice will be executed quickly” said Mr. Monteiro. (DN and STL)
MR. Railos was arrested pursuant to an arrest warrant issued on September 13, 2007 for his alleged role in the events of the 24th and 25th of May last year in Tasi Tolu.
UN, considers Railos arrest has legal base
The United Nations Integrated Mission in Timor-Leste (UNMIT) has confirmed that Vicente do Conceicao, alias “Railos” was arrested early this morning at his residence near Liquiça.
He was arrested pursuant to an arrest warrant issued on September 13, 2007 for his alleged role in the events of the 24th and 25th of May last year.
Railos has been charged for violating Articles 338 and 55 of the Penal Code, related to homicide, and are expected to appear in Court in Dili later today.
The Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Timor-Leste, Mr Atul Khare, welcomed the arrest as a continued sign of the continued strong commitment of the authorities of Timor-Leste to implement recommendations of the UN Special Commission of Inquiry Report issued in October last year.
UN police officers, assisted by the National Police of Timor-Leste (PNTL) and the International Security Forces (ISF) have been positioned in sensitive locations to maintain a calm situation. (DN)
Benevides: withdrawal of mandate to capture of Alfredo does not mean Alfredo will not submit himself to the justice
The Lawyer for Alfredo Reinado, Benevides Correia Barros said on Wednesday that the declaration of the president of the Court of Appeal, Claudio Ximenes calling upon all authorities to obey the law regarding to the mandate of capturing Alfredo Reinado, is incorrect.
According to Mr. Barros Mr Ximenes has misunderstood the situation because the withdrawal of the arrest warrant for Reinado does not mean that Reinado will not submit himself to the justice.
President José Ramos-Horta has stated that to solve the Reinado problem, military operations should be halted and the arrest warrant should be withdrawn. (TP)
NATIONAL NEWS SOURCES: Timor Post (TP) Radio Timor-Leste (RTL) Suara Timor Lorosae (STL) Diario Tempo (DT) Diario Nacional (DN) Semanario Televisaun Timor-Leste (TVTL)
UNMIT MEDIA MONITORING www.unmit.org