|Subject: UNMIT Daily Media Review - 5
[Poster's note: Repeats of international articles already sent out to the east-timor list (email@example.com) have been removed.]
Friday, 05 October 2007
UNMIT MEDIA MONITORING
"UNMIT assumes no responsibility for the accuracy of the articles or for the accuracy of their translations. The selection of the articles and their content do not indicate support or endorsement by UNMIT express or implied whatsoever. UNMIT shall not be responsible for any consequence resulting from the publication of, or from the reliance on, such articles and translations."
National Media Reports
Alfredo is still the target of UNPol and the ISF
Alfredo Reinado is still being tracked by the United Nations Police (UNPol) and International Security Forces (ISF) as his arrest warrant is still valid.
"The arrest warrant of Mr. Reinado is still valid. And UNPol is ready to do its job when needed," said Allison Cooper, United Nations Integrated Mission in Timor-Leste (UNMIT) in the UNMIT regular press briefing in Obrigado Barracks, Dili, on Thursday (04/10).
Separately, the spokesperson of the Youth Movement of National Unity (MUNJ), Augusto Junior Trindade said a few days ago that the arrest warrant issued by Judge Ivo should be withdrawn - if not, this will be an obstacle for the dialogue. (STL, DN and TP)
Railos to have initial hearings in the court
Railos, who is alleged to have led armed civilians in attacks against East Timor's military in Tasi Tolu on May 24th last year, appeared in the Court of Appeal yesterday afternoon (4/10).
The hearing was well-secured by UNPol and FPU from Portugal.
On the first day of the hearing, Mr. Railos was not accompanied by his lawyer.
The hearing was related to the Tasi Tolu incidents on May 24 2006 which resulted in one F-FDTL member being killed.
Railos has been charged with violating Articles 338 and 55 of the Penal Code, related to homicide. (DN)
National Parliament: if you break the law, you will go to court
Commenting on Railos - who is alleged to have led armed civilians in attacks against East Timor's military in Tasi Tolu on 24 May 2006, and was arrested on Wednesday (3/10) - MPs of the National Parliament said that all citizens should respect the law.
Aniceto Guterres from Fretilin said that in a democratic state, all people must obey the rule of law, if not then they should face trial. (DN)
Alkatiri does not believe that the Alliance government will last five years The secretary general of Fretilin, Mari Alkatiri, said that he does not believe that the Xanana-led government will last five years as Xanana only got 24% of the votes.
"They do not know how to execute the budget, their programs or how to act capably", said Mr. Alkatiri on Monday (1/10) at the Embassy of China, Dili.
Mr. Alkatiri also said that to make the government fall down, there will be opposition to everything to counter the programs of the government but not using violence (DN)
UN tries to reduce poverty in Timor-Leste
The Head of the World Food Program (WFP) Joan Fleuren said the WFP will try to reduce poverty in Timor-Leste.
Speaking to the journalists during the regular press briefing of UNMIT in Obrigado Barracks on Thursday (4/10), Mr. Fleuren said that the WFP is an agency that wants to work and guarantee food for the Timorese people to live in a sustainable fashion.
"We have a team to map food availability, and based on the map we will help provide food to the affected areas," said Mr. Fleuren. (DN)
UNICEF: 3 programs to promote children's rights
Speaking to journalists during the UNMIT regular press briefing on Thursday (4/10) at Obrigado Barracks, Dili, the Head of the United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund (UNICEF) said that UNICEF at the present has three priority programs to help children.
"We have three important programs in Timor-Leste: promoting the rights of children in the tribunal, creating a good environment for children to have a better life and looking for ways to strengthen childrenâ€™s capacity and their potency," said Mr. Kukita. (TP)
International Media Reports
UN: UNITED NATIONS BRIEFING AND TV: WEDNESDAY, 3/10/2007 (MaximsNews Network) UNITED NATIONS-/MaximsNews Network/-03 October 2007
The Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General and the Spokesperson for the President of the General Assembly issued the following report today.
BY MICHELE MONTAS, SPOKESPERSON FOR SECRETARY-GENERAL BANK KI-MOON
Wednesday, October 3, 2007
TIMOR-LESTE: MAN ARRESTED FOR ALLEGED ROLE IN 2006 VIOLENCE
Â· The United Nations Integrated Mission in Timor-Leste (UNMIT) confirmed that Vicente do Conceicao, alias "Railos", was arrested early this morning for his alleged role in the events of the 25th and 26th of May last year. Â· Railos has been charged with violating Articles 338 and 55 of the Penal Code, related to homicide, and he was expected to appear in Court in Dili later in the day. Â· The Secretary-Generalâ€™s Special Representative for Timor-Leste, Atul Khare, welcomed the arrest as a continued sign of the strong commitment by Timorese authorities to implement the recommendations of the UN Special Commission of Inquiry Report issued in October last year.
Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations, S-378 New York, NY 10017 Tel. 212-963-7162 Fax. 212-963-7055 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Labels: United Nations, U.N.,
NATIONAL NEWS SOURCES: Timor Post (TP) Radio Timor-Leste (RTL) Suara Timor Lorosae (STL) Diario Tempo (DT) Diario Nacional (DN) Semanario Televisaun Timor-Leste (TVTL)
UNMIT MEDIA MONITORING www.unmit.org