Subject: UNMIT's Daily Media Review 28 September 2007

[Poster's note: Repeats of international articles already sent out to the east-timor list (info@etan.org) have been removed.]

Friday, 28 September 2007 UNMIT – MEDIA MONITORING

"UNMIT assumes no responsibility for the accuracy of the articles or for the accuracy of their translations. The selection of the articles and their content do not indicate support or endorsement by UNMIT express or implied whatsoever. UNMIT shall not be responsible for any consequence resulting from the publication of, or from the reliance on, such articles and translations."

National Media Reports

The Catholic Church disagrees with the CTF citing “manipulation”

The Catholic Church has disagreed with the establishment Truth and Friendship Commission (CTF), because according to the Church, the Commission could damage victims’ rights by offering impunity to those who have committed human rights violations.

“I think that the Commission will not contribute to justice and will make military sympathizers heroes,” said the Director of Peace and Justice of the Baucau Diocese, Fr. Martinho Gusmao.

Fr. Gusmao also said he will not participate in the Commission. (DN)

John Hutcheson: “ISF deployed 4 placements in eastern part”

The commander of the International Security Forces (ISF) says there are currently four deployments to support the F-FDTL and UNPol in maintaining security in the eastern part of the country.

Speaking to the journalists on Thursday (27/9) in a Press Briefing in Caicoli, Mr. Hutcheson said that all people should know the work of ISF in Timor-Leste is to support the communities who are facing security problems.

The soldiers who are deployed in Baucau, Viqueque, Watulari and Lospalos are partnering with the F-FDTL, UNPol and PNTL to maintain security across the country. (DN)

Xanana-Paulo signed travel authorization of Railos, Fretilin presents to NP

The Fretilin MP Elizario Ferreira said a travel authorization letter for Railos, which signed by the former President Xanana Gusmã and the former PNTL Commander Paulo Martins shows he was granted official permission relating to last year’s crisis.

Speaking to the journalists on Thursday (27/9) in the national parliament, Mr. Ferreira said that the travel authorization shows that Railos is being afforded immunity and was able to authorize arson, theft and intimidation of people in Liquicia.

“This shows where the crisis comes from, and Mr. Paulo himself recognizes that they signed the authorization letter,” added Mr. Ferreira. (DN)

Government to identify the status of IDPs

The government is going to create coordination team to identify the status of the IDPs in camps before building houses and facilities for them.

The State Secretary of Council of Ministries, Agio Pereira said that the coordination team will identify who are the IDPs and who are not.

Mr. Pereira also said the Ministry of Solidarity has funding to prepare shelter for IDPs ahead of the rainy season. (TP)

International Media Reports

Indonesia-East Timor commission completes public hearings 09/28/07 08:36 ANTARA News

Dili (ANTARA News) - A commission to uncover the truth behind deadly violence surrounding East Timor's 1999 independence vote completed hearing public testimony from witnesses on Thursday, its commissioners said here.

The Indonesia-East Timor Commission of Truth and Friendship (CTF) was set up in 2005 and has now held five rounds of hearings, with the final set taking place this week in the East Timorese capital Dili.

"The commission has received enough (testimony) and we will process the results... into our final recommendations," the Indonesian co-chairman of the CTF, Benjamin Mangkoedilaga, told AFP.

"We hope what we have done has been in accordance with our mandate and we can form a stronger friendship between our two countries (as a result)," he said.

East Timorese co-chairman Dionisio Babo told a press briefing that "there are still some differences of opinion that need to be worked out, but let me stress, with our spirit of friendship we will not water down our commitment to realise the mandate given to us by the two countries."

The CTF has no power of prosecution and is instead charged with finding out what happened in 1999 when Indonesian-backed militias went on rampages that left about 1,400 people dead when the East Timorese voted to break away from Jakarta.

"On behalf of the CTF, we give our highest appreciation to those who fulfilled our invitation to give their testimony about the historical context and their individual experiences," Babo added.

Dozens of witnesses have testified to the CTF, which has been boycotted by the United Nations.

The UN refused to send any of its officials to testify saying those guilty of rights violations should face justice.

East Timor Prime Minister Xanana Gusmao appeared before the CTF on Monday in a closed-door session and its armed forces commander, Taur Matan Ruak, will speak with the commissioners on Friday, also in a private meeting.

The CTF was set up in addition to individual tribunals in each of the two nations. (*) Copyright © 2007 ANTARA

NATIONAL NEWS SOURCES: Timor Post (TP) Radio Timor-Leste (RTL) Suara Timor Lorosae (STL) Diario Tempo (DT) Diario Nacional (DN) Semanario Televisaun Timor-Leste (TVTL)

UNMIT MEDIA MONITORING www.unmit.org 


Back to October menu
September
World Leaders Contact List
Main Postings Menu