|Subject: AFP: Indonesian military must take
responsibility for 1999 violence: witness
Indonesian military must take responsibility for 1999 violence: witness
DILI, Sept 26 (AFP) -- An East Timorese who was a pro-Indonesia activist during the tiny nation's 1999 independence vote said Wednesday that Indonesia's military should be held responsible for violence occurring then.
Fransisco de Carvalho Lopes, who now holds Indonesian citizenship, was the only Indonesian to testify at the fifth and final round of hearings of the Indonesia-East Timor Commission of Truth and Friendship (CTF) here.
Other sessions have been held in Indonesia.
The CTF has no prosecution powers but has a mandate to uncover the truth behind the 1999 violence that left some 1,400 people dead as Indonesian-backed militias wreaked havoc across the former Portuguese colony.
During Indonesia's 24-year rule, Lopes belonged to two pro-Indonesian groups that organised public figures backing Jakarta's administration, as well as the militias that unleashed the unrest when East Timor voted to break away.
"I think that all the people of Timor-Leste agree with what I say. That is, TNI (the Indonesian armed forces) must take responsibility for all unrest and the scorched earth policy in Timor-Leste," Lopes told journalists after testifying to the commission, referring to the nation by its formal name.
He said that as the military was only an organ of the state, the Indonesian government should also take the blame for the violence.
"I think that there should be an international tribunal... because the ad hoc tribunal was incapable of providing justice, and truth was not established," he said, referring to an Indonesian tribunal that tried several Indonesians over the violence but acquitted all but one.
Justice for the 1999 violence "is what we, the little people, want," he said.
Both governments however have taken a reconciliatory stance since East Timor finally became independent in 2002. East Timorese leaders argue that good relations between the fledgling republic and its giant and more powerful neighbour are crucial to its future.
The United Nations has criticised the mandate of the CTF and refused to let its officials testify, saying it should not issue amnesties for those responsible for human rights crimes.
The CTF commissioners are set to draft recommendations to Jakarta and Dili when this week's hearings end.
The Jakarta Post Thursday, September 27, 2007
Truth body told poverty fueled militias in Timor Leste
Ati Nurbaiti, The Jakarta Post, Dili
A former pro-integration leader told a public hearing here Wednesday that many Timorese civilians were forced by poverty to join pro-Indonesian militias.
"There was money," said Fransisco Lopes De Carvalho.
"People didn't have to go to the fields, there was rice, it was very good," Carvalho told the fifth public hearing of the Indonesia-Timor Leste Commission for Truth and Friendship.
Once they were in the militias, they were told they had an enemy: the independence movement.
It was difficult to choose not to kill fellow Timorese as ordered, said Carvalho, founder of the Barisan Rakyat (People's Front) pro-integration militia.
If a person left the militia, he would die, Carvalho said.
"If he did not want to kill he'd be given 'mad dog' pills," he said.
There were reports during the violence in East Timor of militia members being given drugs to encourage them to kill.
"Then when you kill, you land in jail," Carvalho said, pointing to convict Johny Marques in the audience.
Marques, a former leader of the Alfa militia, testified earlier in the morning that he was under the influence of drugs when he led the killing of nuns and priests in Los Palos in September 1999.
"I know I shouldn't have done it," Marques said, "but it was my body's reaction to the drugs. I felt hot, I was so bent on killing someone."
Carvalho drew laughter from onlookers as he dropped the names of Indonesian Military officers in his testimony. At one point, he said he never received millions of promised rupiah after signing a proposal to have civilians armed at a five-star hotel in Jakarta.
"Until now I have never received the audit report on the funds," he said, referring to the current practice of accountability in Indonesia and Timor Leste.
He also claimed to have received Rp 3 million from the former commander of the Wira Dharma Military Resort overseeing East Timor, Col. Tono Suratman.
"It is a sin to steal and a sin to reject an offer, so I took the money, of course after making the sign" of the cross, Carvalho said.
Along with other officers Tono was acquitted by Indonesia's ad hoc human rights court of charges of crimes against humanity in East Timor.
Similar to the testimony of former militia leader Tomas A. Goncalves on Tuesday, Carvalho also referred to the distribution of weapons to civilians by Indonesian Military members and the provision of training.
Carvalho submitted a number of documents to the CTF, including certificates presented to militia trainees signed by then Udayana Military Command chief Maj. Gen. M. Simbolon.
He expressed confusion that East Timor's militias comprised not only former village security guards but also members of the Indonesian Military.
"How come they were never punished?" he said.
Marques, who is serving a 33-year jail sentence, testified he carried out the murders without the knowledge of his civilian and military superiors, "who had all left before the murders".
However, he questioned why, "for the sake of friendship between the two nations, Alfa team members like myself are the only ones chased for accountability".
The Indonesian government, he said, should be held responsible for the violence in East Timor.
Carvalho urged the CTF to recommend the violence in East Timor be handed over to an international tribunal, saying the judicial process in both Indonesia and Timor Leste had failed.
"We want to be friends but no one is saying they are wrong," he said.
The CTF will review all testimony, research and documents before it completes its report in January.
Carvalho also asked that the CTF and both governments guaranteed his safety, saying he wanted to return to Timor Leste after years spent in Central Java.
"Please accept me," he said.