Subject: Timor Leste Daily Media News October 3, 2008
Timor-Leste Daily Media News
MPs debates power outage in the capital - Suara Timor Lorosae, 3
Members of the National Parliament suggested the government to
recruit more professional as a way to find solutions to the frequent
power outage in the capital.
MP Pedro da Costa from CNRT made the statement during a plenary session
There are three new generators purchased to deal with the problem
frequent power blackout.
Meanwhile, PSD bench leader in the Parliament Fernando Gusmão said that
the power blackout happens because there is a failure in the company
which operates the electricity.
Recently, FRETILIN MP Inacio Moreira demanded the Secretary of State for
Water and Urbanization, who also deals with electricity to be sacked due
to his incapacity in finding solutions to the recurring problems of
FRETILIN demands documents of Parliament's car purchase - Suara Timor
Lorosae, 3 October
Opposition party in the National Parliament, FRETILIN, demanded
documents and other paper-works related to the 65 cars purchase for the
The demand was made by MP Francisco Branco Miranda during a Parliament's
plenary session Tuesday (30/9).
Branco argued that the money used to buy the cars belongs to the people
and therefore the process of the purchase has to be transparent to the
He said that the process of buying the cars is not transparent amongst
the members of the National Parliament.
Vice President of the National Parliament Maria Paixão said that
though National Parliament is an autonomous state institution, it is not
yet financially autonomous.
She therefore asked the opposition party to seek the documents from the
Meanwhile, head of National Procurement Office, Francisco da Costa
Soares Borulako said that the documents could be given to anyone only if
there is decision from the Prime Minister and Minister of Finance to do
Govt sends new military law to Nat'l Parliament - Suara Timor Lorosae,
The government had sent a new law on military service to the
National Parliament to be discussed and then approved.
And the proposal of the law itself had been further submitted to the
President of Committee B dealing with the issues of Foreign Affairs,
National Defense and Security by the second Vise President Maria Paixão.
President of the Committee, Duarte Nunes, said that the law will be
discussed in the Committee before taking it to the plenary of the
National Parliament to vote on.
Secretary of State for Security, Julio Tomas Pinto, said that if the law
is passed as soon as possible, the Ministry would start recruiting new
officials for the Defense Force in this month.
Prove me you're professional and I'm ready send the FSI and UNPOL
back, says PM - Suara Timor Lorosa'e, 3 October
East Timor's Prime Minister Xanana Gusmão said Tuesday (30/9) if the
East Timor Defense Force (F-FDTL) and the National Police (PNTL) proved
him that they are already professional, the Prime Minister could ask the
International Stabilization Forces (ISF) and the United Nations Police (UNPOL)
to leave the country.
"The problems becomes smaller with the presence of the international
forces and we feel we could not move if there are police from all over
the world present here so prove me (you are professional) and I can send
them back," said Gusmão.
He explained that East Timor is an independent country but the movement
of its Defense Force and its National Police is limited while the
Australian soldiers walking around carrying their weapons.
"You cannot do it (carrying weapons around) while malaes (foreigners)
can; what kind of independence is this?" questioned Gusmão.
He explained that in order to be really professional, the police should
not carry their weapons while going to discotheques and that the police
agents not to involve in illegal gambling.
As the Minister for Defense and Security, Gusmão asked the officers of
both F-FDTL and PNTL to keep the spirit of joint operation to show that
they are ready to take responsibility of securing and defending the
sovereignty of Timor-Leste.
PNTL officers should avoid personal interest, says de Jesus - Timor
Post, 3 October
Timorese Acting Police Commander, Afonso De Jesus has called on all
Timorese National Police (PNTL) officers to work well in serving the
country's people not prioritizing personal interest.
The commander made the comments on Tuesday (30/9) in connection with
some of the police inspectors who had worked for personal interest.
"I am calling on all the police officers within the police force to work
together and keep up with the spirit of nationalism. We cannot work
alone within this institution," De Jesus said.
De Jesus said the police force needed help from the country's leaders to
professionalize the country's police officers.
He added the police institution needed to make changes, because some of
the police officers still new and their mentality were not so good.
Parliament calls for people to not panic - Timor Post, 3 October
Parliamentary Committee B has called for the Timorese people to not
panic with illegal pamphlets which are currently spreading within the
community regarding the appointment of the country's new general police
President of the Parliamentary Committee B for National Security and
Defense, Duarte Nunes said the Parliament and Government knew about the
spreading pamphlets observing, therefore the people should not panic,
but should remain calm.
Nunes said the pamphlets were distributed by the irresponsible people to
provoke instability in the country and make the people to panic.
The pamphlets said if the Government try to appoint a candidate from the
country's east and that would merger instability within the country.
He added the Government had planned to appoint a new top police
commander in the upcoming November.
Agricultural state secretary symbolically harvests soybean in
Bobonaro - Radio Timor-Leste, 3 October
State Secretary for Agriculture, Marcos da Cruz has symbolically
harvested 42 hectares of soybean in Maligo of Kailako, district of
During a speech marking ceremony for the harvest, the state secretary
said planting soybean was an important step to increase the country's
Da Cruz said although he did not exactly know about the quantity of the
farmers' products, yet the products in this year was increasing.
After the harvest, the Government was directly buying the soybean
products, 0, 50 cents per kilogram.
The state secretary also held a visit to the project of rehabilitation
of irrigation implemented by Tao Propoes Company which will end in the
Court sentences four years in prison to Eugenio - Televizaun
Timor-Leste, 3 October
The Dili district court has made verdict sentencing Eugenio Candido
Alves to four years in prison, because he was found guilty involving
arson to the Custom Department's former building on August 6, 2007.
The court took the verdict based on the Penal Code Article 170 and 180
about committing arson to the public buildings and disturbances.
The trial for this case led by Deputy Penal judges consisting of Maria
das Dores, Prosecutor Felisberto Cardoso and public defender Augusto do
Prosecutor Cardoso said he made accusation to five accused, as they were
suspected of being involved in burning down the building of costume
office in 2007, but the four other accused were released as they were
not found guilty.
Meanwhile, Legal Advisor for Eugenio said the verdict was acceptable to
him and had discussed about everything related to the verdict with the
family of Eugenio.
Public Prosecution to make accusation after having statement from
Brigadier Ruak - Televizaun Timor-Leste, 2 October
Prosecutor General Longuinhos Monteiro, said the case of the
country's crises of 2006 would be taken to court after the Public
Prosecution had got statement from the Defense Force Commander,
Brigadier General Taur Matan Ruak.
The prosecutor general said they would make an official request to the
Defense Superior Council to allow Brigadier Ruak to give his statement
over the case.
"This is preliminary process and is not the time for making accusation,
the final decision taken after getting statement from Brigadier Ruak,"
In response to the F-FDTL Chief of Staffs, Lere Anan Timur's concerns
about ranking hierarchy to question him [Lere Anan] in the inquiry,
Monteiro recognized it.
Monteiro said the inquiry should actually be done by a prosecutor, yet
he was sick and that they handed over it to the investigative police to
He added the president and prime minister had also faced inquiry in
relation to the recent crises of 2006.
I'm not afraid of justice because truth is on my side, says Falur -
Televizaun Timor-Leste, 2 October
East Timor Defense Force's Lieutenant Colonel Falur Rate Laek said
Thursday (2/10) that he is not afraid of facing justice because the
truth is on his side.
Falur made the statement after answering the questions from the office
of Pubic Prosecution in relation to the 2006 crises in which he is
alleged of handing over weapons to former combatants.
"Only those who are afraid of facing justice are those who are guilty
and those who are brave to face justice are those who have truth," said
He said that that as he fought for independence and democracy, he
himself should uphold justice and therefore he is ready to cooperate
with the justice systems.
He explained that he was happy with the questions asked because as a
combatant he is always happy.
Two more F-FDTL officers would be questioned in relation to the handing
over weapons to former combatants in the 2006 crises.
The country is on the verge of dictatorship, says FRETILIN -
Televizaun Timor-Leste, 2 October
FRETILIN's President Francisco Guterres 'Lu Olo' said Thursday that
East Timor is on the verge of dictatorship because there is tendency in
the current government led by Xanana Gusmão to kill the rights of the
The statement was made during a press conference in relation to the
statement made by the Prime Minister Xanana Gusmão last Saturday in
Ainaro where Gusmão threatened the people not to take part in the peace
rally organized by FRETILIN.
He stressed that the party will not allow dictatorship to take place
again in the country as the people fought hard to get rid off it during
the illegal Indonesian occupation.
Lu Olo added FRETILIN is really concerned and saddened by the statement
made and he urged Gusmão's government to respect the Constitution of the
Republic along with other existing applicable and to respect the rights
of the people to stage a peaceful rally.
He explained that the country should be built on the spirit of
democracy, tolerance and peace but not on dictatorship.
He reaffirmed that the FRETILIN's peace rally is not to create conflict
but to affirm democracy and justice in the country and therefore it
should not be banned by the government.
The date for the peace rally is not yet known.
Back to October Menu
World Leaders Contact List
Main Postings Menu