Subject: UNMIT – MEDIA MONITORING Monday, 10 March 2008

"UNMIT assumes no responsibility for the accuracy of the articles or for the accuracy of their translations. The selection of the articles and their content do not indicate support or endorsement by UNMIT express or implied whatsoever. UNMIT shall not be responsible for any conseque6nce resulting from the publication of, or from the reliance on, such articles and translations."

National Media Reports
TVTL News Coverage

No TVTL news coverage.


RTL News Coverage
Rebel Leader and group to surrender:

The General-Prosecutor Longuinhos Monteiro said at a press conference held in the Government Palace on Friday (7/3) that rebel leader Gastã o Salsinha was going to surrender on Monday (10/3) along with 30 of his group members to the F-FDTL/PNTL Joint Operation. He would also surrender eighteen weapons. Mr. Monteiro said that Salsinha had intended to surrender on Friday last week but needed two extra days to gather his group in Ermera before surrendering themselves. Mr. Monteiro also said that the Government should ensure that all security and judicial procedures for Salsinha and his men were implemented in an appropriate and just manner. 

F-FDTL/PNTL Joint Operation arrest 6 suspects in Kulau: The Command of the F-FDTL/PNTL Joint Operation arrested 6 suspects on Sunday (9/3) in Kulau, Dili for threatening IDPs. The Operational Commander of PNTL, Mateus Fernandes, said that the threats happened while the victims had returned to inspect their homes in the area of Kulau. Commander Fernandes said that the suspects are now being detained in the Dili Police Station for further investigation. "Today some young men are attempting to create difficulties for our friends who are returning to their homes, especially in Kulau," said Commander Fernandes. "We have no tolerance with those who act solely on their own will."

Separately, the F-FDTL/PNTL Joint Operation Command arrested twelve suspects who had tried to attack the Joint Operation in Kampung Tuti-Comoro, Dili.

Print Coverage

US Ambassador rejects claims of US relations with Alfredo: The Ambassador of the United States of America (USA) in Timor-Leste, Hans Clemm [Klemm is the correct spelling - JMM], has rejected claims that the US had provided the uniform worn by Alfredo Reinado up until his death on February 11. "I reject by 100 or 110% rumours that the US had supported Alfredo by providing him with the military uniform," said Ambassador Clemm on Wednesday (5/3) in STL office, Dili. According to Ambassador Clemm, the military uniform worn by Alfredo is similar to the uniform of the US Navy, but the uniform was not provided by the US Government to Alfredo. (STL)

Salsinha won't surrender: A source close to Salsinha said via telephone on Sunday (9/3) that Salsinha had sent a letter to the General Prosecutor Longuinhos Monteiro claiming that he would not surrender to the F-FDTL/PNTL Joint Operation. The source admitted that while he was not privy to the contents of the letter, he was sure that Salsinha had stated in the letter that he would not surrender until PR Ramos Horta came back to Timor-Leste.

General Prosecutor Longuinhos Monteiro revealed that he had received a letter from Salsinha. "His planned surrender for today (Friday 07/03) has been postponed until Monday," said Mr. Longuinhos on Friday (7/3) at a press conference in the Government Palace in Dili.

Previously, the F-FDTL Commander, Brigadier General Taur Matan Ruak, said that the deadline for Salsinha to surrender had ended and that the F-FDTL/PNTL Joint Operation would now use military forces to capture him alive. (STL)

Alkatiri: TL's democracy in jeopardy: The Secretary General of Fretilin, Mari Alkatiri, has said that he believes if the questions around the events of February 11 are not clarified, then the democratic process in the country would be jeopardised. In an interview with the Portuguese News Network, Alkatiri said that reports on how the Prime Minister was ambushed were fake. Alkatiri said that Fretilin had immediately sent a person to the site of the ambush to take pictures and could thus verify that claims of multiple bullets to the PM's car were false. Alkatiri said he believed the entire 'ambush' to be suspicious. "Why would Alfredo attack a person [Horta] who was trying to find a good resolution to his problems?" questioned Alkatiri. "Who was attacked first? Reinado or the President?"

Alkatiri also said: "The 2006 crisis happened because Xanana wanted power because at the time, he had no power. After becoming Prime Minister, he still feels that he has no power. He is a patriot, and I do not accept the accusations of him selling out this nation to Australia, but he does not act as a nationalist, he acts as a guerrilla. … He thiinks he is the only one who can mobilise the population,: said Mr. Alkatiri.

Mr. Alkatiri further said that an end to the crisis would only come if the Government ended the 'State of Siege' as people did not now feel that they had the freedom to reveal the truth. He also called for early elections as another way to end the crisis. Finally, Alkatiri made the claim that Fretilin must be involved in leading the government. (STL)

Susar won't stay in Becora prison: Because of security reasons, the rebel Susar is to be remanded to a building in an undisclosed location in the centre of Dili rather than in Becora prison.

The Prosecutor General Longuinhos Monteiro said that the decision was made by the Minster of Justice.

"Because of security reasons, Susar has moved out from Becora prison and is placed in another location. The new 'prison' has the same system of security and management as in Becora prison. The house is secured by both the F-FDTL and PNTL," said Mr. Monteiro on Friday (6/3) after meeting PM Xanana Gusmao in the Government Palace.

Susar was imprisoned following his statement in the court last week that he was involved in the events of February 11. (TP)

Salsinha should surrender: The Former Minister of Justice, Domingos Sarmento, has appealed to Salsinha and his group to submit themselves to justice, arguing that armed conflict never resolves anything. "We all hope that Salsinha and his group will come down to submit themselves to justice," said Mr. Sarmento.

During the same occasion, Acting President of the National Parliament Vicente Guterres also argued that the surrendering was the only thing for Salsinha and his group could do. 

Separately, F-FDTL Commander, Brigadier General Taur Matan Ruak is continuing to pressure Salsinha despite positive signs that Salsinha intends to surrender. "At any moment, we are going to have an operation with the F-FDTL, PNTL and ISF to use force, and they [Salsinha and his group] should prepare themselves," warned Commander TMR. (TP)

National News Sources:
Televizaun Timor-Leste (TVTL)
Radio Timor-Leste (RTL)
Timor Post (TP)
Suara Timor Lorosae (STL)
Diario Tempo (DT)
Diario Nacional (DN)
Semanário Nacional (SN)
Tempo Semanal (TS)

UNMIT MEDIA MONITORING
http://www.unmit.org  

Back to March menu

February
World Leaders Contact List
Main Postings Menu