Subject: Daily Media Review 13 March 08

Thursday, 13 March 2008

UNMIT Ė MEDIA MONITORING

"UNMIT assumes no responsibility for the accuracy of the articles or for the accuracy of their translations. The selection of the articles and their content do not indicate support or endorsement by UNMIT express or implied whatsoever. UNMIT shall not be responsible for any conseque6nce resulting from the publication of, or from the reliance on, such articles and translations."

National Media Reports

TVTL News Coverage

Message of President Josť Ramos-Horta to the Nation: [VERBATIM] 

Now is the holy week, it is the beginning of Easter. It is the first time since one of our brothers of Alfredo Reinado's group and Salsinha's shot me that I have the possibility to speak to all people of Timor-Leste: to the Bishops, priests, sisters, Government, National Parliament, and civil society, all people of Timor-Leste.

I am thankful for your concerns, support, confidence and solidarity.

I will not make a long statement, and I will not deliver a political speech.

In one or two more weeks, I will be able to speak much more.

I have received good treatment from everybody in Darwin Royal Hospital.

I thank the ambulance and the GNR officers who took me to Heliport hospital. I thank the medical doctors in Heliport, 'Medical Centre' which saved my life, and flew me to Darwin.

Soon I will try to return to Timor-Leste to resume my work.

At the moment Fernando Lasama serves as the Acting President of Republic with dignity, integrity and competence. 

I appeal to the Government, Members of Parliament, and political parties to work together in assisting the poor.

That is all my words.

PGR: 4 F-FDTL members not involved in Joint Operation: The General Prosecutor of Republic Longuinhos has refuted claims that four F-FDTL members previously involved in the May 25 case were now involved in the F-FDTL/PNTL Joint Operation. Mr Longuinhos said that the four members were currently detained in the F-FDTL detention centre in Tasi Tolu, Dili.

"This is to counter the rumours that these four members of the F-FDTL are involved in the F-FDTL/PNTL Joint Operation to chase Salsinha and his group. This is not true because they are now in the hands of the military police in Tasi Tolu," said PGR Monteiro on Tuesday (11/3) in Dili.

PGR Monteiro said that the four members of F-FDTL will be imprisoned in the military prison within the headquarters of the defence forces.

PGR also said that the military prison is under construction. "The construction is on the final phase. The four members are currently under detention and will remain so until they can enter the prison as soon as it is completed," said PGR Monteiro.

Govt. to solve petitioners' problem: The Advisor to the Cabinet of the Prime Minister for Civil Society and Petitioners' Problem, Joaquim Fonseca, said that the Government is going to solve the petitioners' problems by providing questionnaires to them. The petitioners will answer in the questionnaire the question of whether they want to return to the military or remain as civilians upon the required mechanisms and criteria. 


"The State Secretary of Defence and F-FDTL have been working on the process for those who want to return to the military based on the required criteria," said Mr. Fonseca.

The media is currently not allowed to enter the gathering place of the petitioners without the authorization of Mr Fonseca. 

RTL News Coverage
No RTL news coverage.

Print Coverage
No confrontation between Salsinha and Joint Operation: Even though the deadline for Salsinha has ended, there has been no confrontation between him and the F-FDFTL/ PNTL Joint Operation.

A source from the Government Palace said that the stronghold of Salsinha has been detected but no attacks have as yet been conducted as the authorities want to avoid bloodshed. 

Separately, the Spokesperson of the F-FDFTL/ PNTL Joint Operation, Lieutenant Colonel Filomeno Paix„o, said that Salsinha has to contribute to the process.

"Salsinha has to give us his contribution as we have all been waiting for two years. We will never have any solution if he keeps extending the deadline," said Commander Paix„o. (DN)

Filomeno Paix√£o: Joint Operation continues: The Spokesperson of the F-FDFTL/ PNTL Joint Operation, Lieutenant Colonel Filomeno Paix√£o, said that because Salsinha and his group have not as yet surrendered, the operation is still continuing.


"He promised that he should surrender on Monday (11/3). If he does not surrender the operation will continue to bring all people to justice all those who are against justice," said Commander Paix√£o at the press conference held in Memorial, Dili.

"Salsinha has to give us his contribution as we have all been waiting for two years, but we will never have any solution if he keeps extending the deadline," said Commander Paix√£o. (DN)

James Baker: ISF concerned about media coverage of Feb 11: The Commander of International Stabilization Forces (ISF), James Baker said that the ISF is concerned with the inaccuracies in information provided by the Timor-Leste media in their coverage of the February 11 events.

According to Commander Baker, the information provided has not been factual. "I read lots of articles about February 11 which have no facts," said Commander Baker.

Commander Baker confirmed that if the press wanted clarification about any information related to the ISF, they could contact the ISF directly. "It's very important to disseminate true information rather than spreading rumours. We are asking the media to stop the speculations," said Commander Baker. (DN)

PGR: knows who is preventing Salsinha from surrendering: The Prosecutor General of the Republic, Longuinhos Monteiro, said that he knows the people who are impeding the surrender of Salsinha to the F-FDTL/PNTL Joint Operation. PGR Monteiro said the people have been identified through their telephone communications with Salsinha. PGR Monteiro also said Salsinha's group are split between those who want to leave and those who want to stay with him. (STL)

PGR: Susar may contact Salsinha: PGR Longuinhos Monteiro has commended the offer made by Susar to help Salsinha to surrender. "I think this will help persuade him [Salsinha] to surrender," said PGR Monteiro. PGR Monteiro also said that he had lost contact with Salsinha since the deadline for his surrender ended (9-11/3). (TP)

National News Sources:
Televizaun Timor-Leste (TVTL)
Radio Timor-Leste (RTL)
Timor Post (TP)
Suara Timor Lorosae (STL)
Diario Tempo (DT)
Diario Nacional (DN)
Seman√°rio Nacional (SN)
Tempo Semanal (TS)


UNMIT MEDIA MONITORING
www.unmit.org 


Back to March menu

February
World Leaders Contact List
Main Postings Menu