Subject: Daily Media Review 03 April 2008
Thursday, 03 April 2008
UNMIT – MEDIA MONITORING
"UNMIT assumes no responsibility for the accuracy of the articles or for the accuracy of their translations. The selection of the articles and their content do not indicate support or endorsement by UNMIT express or implied whatsoever. UNMIT shall not be responsible for any consequence resulting from the publication of, or from the reliance on, such articles and translations."
National Media Reports TVTL News Coverage
Apprehension Operation to use force to capture Salsinha: The Vice Commander of the Apprehension Operation, Mateus Fernandes, said that were going use force to capture Salsinha and his men and that they would stop the leniency they had shown so far towards the rebels. The Vice Commander warned that serious action would be taken by the end of the week.
Judge: Court postpones trial for suspects in Fatu Ahi case: Judge Ivo confirmed that the Dili District Court has postponed judicial proceedings against the suspects accused of being involved in the fighting led by the late Major Alfredo Reinado Alves against the F-FDTL in Fatu-Ahi on 23 May, 2006. "The judicial proceedings against the suspects were postponed because three of the other suspects did not appear," said Judge Ivo.
RTL News Coverage Pedro Belo: PNTL and F-FDTL won't tolerate criminals: The Dili District's PNTL Commander, Pedro Belo, said that Apprehension Operation commanders have no tolerance for any criminals who threaten or retaliate against any IDP who wants to return home. Mr Belo made this statement during a dialogue with community members in the village of Vila Verde, Dili. "The commanders of the Apprehension Operation will use their tactics to capture and seize weapons from people who engage in crimes," said Mr Belo.
CNRT MP demands explanation from the Prosecutor-General: CNRT MP, Moises Romeo, has demanded an explanation from the Prosecutor-General regarding the results of the current investigation into February 11. The MP has called on him to present this explanation to the National Parliament. "I did not demand that he send a report to us, but I did demand that he present himself to the National Parliament with an explanation of the criminal investigation carried out by the Australian Federal Police, FBI and himself," said Mr Romeo. (STL)
Petitioners lack discipline: 'Piloto' Sejar Valente de Jesus, coordinator of the petitioners gathered in Aitarak Laran, has complained about the lack of discipline shown by some petitioners. "Five of the petitioners have decided to return home, saying that they don't want to stay with the other petitioners in Aitarak Laran because of what the government had decided," said Piloto. (STL)
Zero tolerance for medical officers who sexually violate patients: The Minister of Health, Rui Martins, has said that he will fire any of his staff who commit sexual violations. "The Health Ministry will not tolerate medical officers who sexually violates any patient," said the Minister after the issue was raised by Fretilin MP Ososrio Soares at the National Parliament on Wednesday (31/3). (STL)
Fretilin opposes PM's 'Fragile, not Failed State' statement: Fretilin MP Joaquim dos Santos has come out against the Prime Minter's statement that defined Timor-Leste in terms of a 'failed' or 'fragile' state. "According to me, Timor-Leste is a normal State. Not a failed or fragile State. Be weary of people who are trying to reduce Timor-Leste to the level of a failed State," said Mr dos Santos on Tuesday (1/4) at the National Parliament. (STL)
Judge: No law forbids PGR from negotiating surrender with rebels: Judge Ivor Roza Baptista has said that there is no law forbidding the Prosecutor-General from negotiating a surrender with the rebels. She said this in response to recent remarks condemning the Prosecutor-General's initiative to maintain contact with the rebels. (TP)
NRC hands over 137 houses to the Government: The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) today officially handed over 137 houses at Mercado Becora to the Government of Timor-Leste. These houses were built with the cooperation of the Ministry of Social Solidarity and the NGO, Triangle GH. These transitional houses are for IDPs currently staying at the National Hospital. (TP)
Fransico Guterres: PNTL petitioners receive full Government attention: The State's Secretary for Security, Francisco Guterres, said that two PNTL members currently gathered together with other petitioners in Aitarak Laran have already received the Government's full attention to solve their problems. "They had been given a choice by the Government, whether they want to rejoin the PNTL or become civilians," said Guterres. (TP)
PTT MP asks Government to suspend martial art's activities: PTT MP Jacob Xavier has asked the Government to temporarily suspend the activities of martial arts groups claiming that they cause too many problems. Mr Xavier argued that the activities could re-start once the Government had created regulations for the groups. (DN)
National News Sources: Televizaun Timor-Leste (TVTL) Radio Timor-Leste (RTL) Timor Post (TP) Suara Timor Lorosae (STL) Diario Nacional (DN)
UNMIT MEDIA MONITORING www.unmit.org