Subject: UNMIT Daily Media Review - 18 April 2008

SBY to investigate Alfredo's supporters in Indonesia Timor Post President Jos Ramos-Horta said that Indonesian President Soesilo Bambang Yudhoyono (SBY) has told him that his government will carry out investigations to find evidence related to the supporters of Alfredo Reinado in Indonesia.

"Last year Alfredo went to Indonesia and stayed in Jakarta, and made an interview with Metro TV. Investigations show many contacts from Indonesia with Alfredo. It has nothing to do with the Indonesian government of TNI.

I got confirmation from President SBY that Indonesia will find compelling evidence to indict some individuals in Indonesia," said PR Ramos-Horta in a press conference held at Comoro Airport, Dili upon his return.

Horta: "Even though I almost died, I don't want Salsinha to die" Timor Post Salsinha asked the State to stop the Apprehension Operation which has been set to hunt him and his men, and to receive all the petitioners.

"Salsinha has to explain who told him and backed him to destabilize this nation,” said PR Horta in his speech to the National Parliament on Thursday (17/4) in Dili.

PR Horta is appealing to Salsinha to come down and submit himself to justice and explain to the court how the attempt of February 11 was planned.

Horta: Government should buy rice with money from the petroleum fund Timor Post Even though PR Horta is not totally recovered yet, he is trying to solve the problems of poor people in this country by asking PM Xanana Gusmo to buy food [rice] with funds from the petroleum fund.

"I give thanks to all people, people who are barefoot and poor. My preoccupation right now is that the entire world is facing hunger.

The price of rice is increased. Those who are poor are getting poorer at this time. So I am asking the Government and the National Parliament to use resources from the petroleum fund to buy food for the poor,” he said at the press conference held at Comoro Airport, Dili on Thursday (17/4).

Govt. to force Rogerio back to prison - Timor Post Through the Ministry of Justice, the Government has decided to force former Minister of the Interior, Tiago Rogerio Lobato, to return to prison in connection with his conviction for organizing the militias to fight against F-FDTL in the 2006 crisis.

"Now we have made preparations for [Mr. Rogerio]. I will instruct the prison guards to meet him directly at the airport and bring him to the prison to complete his prison term as sentenced by the court," said Minister of Justice Lucia Lobato on Thursday (17/4) in the National Parliament.

Former Minister Rogerio Lobato went to Malaysia for medical treatment as he was about to be imprisoned in Becora Prison for the crime of organizing the militias to fight against F-FDTL in the 2006 crisis.

SES to provide extraordinary security to President Horta Timor Post The State Secretary for Security Francisco Guterres said that security forces consisting of the National Police of Timor-Leste (PNTL), Defence Forces of Timor-Leste (F-FDTL), Rapid Intervention Unit (UIR), Rapid Deployment Service (URP), United Nations Police (UNPol) and International Security Forces (ISF) are ready to provide extraordinary security to President Ramos-Horta.

State Secretary Guterres said that the security forces will be placed at the President's residence to secure his safety and will conduct check points around the residence.

Ed: President has returned. Is Salsinha going to surrender? Timor Post < President Ramos-Horta has returned to Timor-Leste after his medical treatment in Darwin, Australia. His presence responds to the peoples' hope since that he should be back to Timor-Leste.

Now that he has returned, will Salsinha submit himself as he promised on the return of President Horta? What is Salsinha thinking about now?

Is he going to surrender or not? If he surrenders, then he accomplishes his promise to the people and the nation. All parties will consider him as an honest and brave man. If not, then Salsinha creates a big burden for the people and the nation.

We don't know exactly whether Salsinha will submit himself or contact PR Horta or be arrested by the Joint Operation Command. Only time will tell.

Horta: "Salsinha has to alive to tell the truth" Diario Naciional PR Ramos-Horta said that he does not want Salsinha to be killed in the process of submitting himself to justice so the he can tell the truth about the plan of attack on February 11.

PR Horta said that he was the only president in the world who followed the rebels in order to negotiate, with the result that he was shot and wounded.

"Some time ago I told Alfredo and Salsinha that if you play with the weapons, then they will hit back to you," said PR Horta in speech to the National Parliament on Thursday (17/4) upon his return from Australia.

PR Horta also appealed to Salsinha and his men to listen to him and ignore others who are trying to influence them.

"We know that Alfredo and Salsinha gathered the petitioners. So I am asking Salsinha to surrender in Gleno's Parish [in Ermera], then come to Dili to surrender his rifle There's no other place for Salsinha to talk, thhe only option is in court," said PR Horta.

Lasama: The crisis could be solved in 2008 Suara Timmor Lorosa'e The President of the National Parliament Fernando Lasama hopes that with the return of President Horta, the crisis being faced by the country could be solved this year.

"I believe that on the President's return, and working with the sovereign organs of government, the nation's problems could be resolved in 2008," said PR of the National Parliament Lasama during the extraordinary session of the National Parliament on Thursday (17/4).

Separately, the Secretary-General of Fretilin Mari Alkatiri said that the President needs everyone's support in order to recover 100%.

"We should find a way to support the president to complete his mandate well," said Mr. Alkatiri.

F-FDTL: Army to take peacekeeping forces' training Suara Timor Lorosa'e The State Secretary for Defence, Julio Thomas Pinto said that the Government of Timor-Leste through the Department of Defence is planning to send its army to Australia to take peacekeeping forces' training.

The training program for peacekeeping forces is part of an existing package between Australia and Timor-Leste for its defence programme.

"In this agreement, Australia agrees to send its advisors to F-FDTL and the Department of Defence of Timor-Leste and also agrees to welcome our army forces to take peacekeeping forces' training, including training in Navy," said Mr. Pinto on Thursday (17/4) after signing the agreement of cooperation between the Department of Defence of Timor-Leste and Australia.


Back to April Menu
March

World Leaders Contact List
Main Postings Menu