Subject: UNMIT Daily Media Review - 18 June 2008
[Poster's note: Repeats of international articles already sent out to the east-timor list (email@example.com) have been removed.]
(International news reports and extracts from national media. UNMIT does not vouch for the accuracy of these reports)
Salsinha's trial may take one year – Suara Timor Lorosa'e
Law researcher and the Secretary-General of Timor-Leste's Lawyers' Association Tiago Sarmento said that based on the penal code process of Timor-Leste, a criminal case of a person who was accused of committing a crime against the nation may take up to one year before his/her case is judged. This was said in relation the cases of Salsinha and the other rebels.
Mr. Sarmento said that when a suspect's case is under investigation, this does not mean that the case is processed immediately as the prosecutor needs to collect evidence for the trial.
High level discuss to strengthen Government-UNMIT Accord – Suara Timor Lorosa'e
The nation's leaders met in the Presidential Palace, Farol Dili on Tuesday (17/6) to discuss the strengthening of the Accord between the Government of Timor-Leste and UNMIT to reform security sector in Timor-Leste.
After the meeting, Prime Minister Xanana Gusmão informed that President José Ramos-Horta had called him together with Brigadier General Taur Matan Ruak, PNTL Commander Designated Afonso de Jesus and others to talk about the development of security sector [of the nation]. “We know that I have just signed an accord with UNDP to assist us in this process. The result of this accord signifies that Timor-Leste should organize [prepare] itself to join with the technical assistance of UNMIT,” said the Prime Minister.
PM Xanana also said that President will write a release to UNMIT about the placement of those who are involved in the commission in order to establish a working calendar to start the process.
Australia becomes team leader of development plan for security and defence – Suara Timor Lorosa'e
The Secretary of State for Defence has concluded and indicated that Australia has become the team leader of the development plan in the areas of defence and security.
“We met with the donors to talk about the national priority in security and defence and justice. From the meeting we have established a team to provide program implementation assistance in the area of justice, prosecutions and security and defence,” said Secretary of State for Defence Julio Tomas Pinto on Tuesday (17/6) in Dili. Mr. Pinto said the Ambassador of Australia for Timor-Leste has appointed to lead the team as Australia has given a lot of support to the country in these areas.
Separately, Prosecutor-General Longuinhos Monteiro accepted the decision to appoint the Australian Ambassador to lead the team of development plan for security, defence and justice sector.
Coliati: the Joint Operation Command might become operational again at the request of the State – Diario Nacional
Lieutenant Coliati has said that the Joint Operation Command had planned to head to the eastern districts to continue searching for weapons, but that this would depend on the decision of the State.
“The operation to search for weapons in the eastern district will be implemented if there is a decision from the State. So far we still awaiting the decision from the State as it has to be carried out based on the rule of law,” said Lieutenant Coliati at the HQ of Joint Operation Command in Memorial Hall Dili.
Joint Operation commander Lieutenant Coliati added that the main priority for the Joint Operation Command is to ensure the return of the IDPs to their communities in peace and stability.
UNMIT MEDIA MONITORING www.unmit.org