Subject: Timor-Leste News June 29, 2010
Timor-Leste Subscriber News Local and International Media Monitoring.
(The contents of this service do not reflect the views of TLMDC. News and opinion is summarized; and headlines are edited in English to give the best possible sense of the original headline. For more detailed information about any story in this bulletin; or for tailored sector-specific monitoring contact: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org)
Local Daily News
June 29, 2010
*Lasama holds meeting with all parliamentary benches *Radio Timor-Leste, June 28, 2010 language source: Tetun
Parliamentary President Fernando “Lasama” de Araujo has urgently held a meeting with all the parliamentary benches discussing on method of the debate on the Government’s proposed additional state budget. Lasama said this discussion was necessary, due to there were many proposals made by the MPs regarding the additional budget. “It is bit hard for us to appoint each MP to convey what they are proposing, so it better for us to make decision together, so than we can follow its rules,” Lasama said. Lasama added that all the benches had showed their good cooperation during the discussion and abide by the consensus reached in the discussion. One of the consensus is only two of each bench could represent to convey their political statements.
*Ex-IDPs in protest of late compensation payment *Radio Timor-Leste, June 28, 2010 language source: Tetun
More than 500 the ex-internally displaced people (IDP) have today (28/6) protested the country’s Social Solidarity Ministry, as it has been late for paying compensation for the IDPs whose houses were set blaze during the country’s crises of 2006. Those ex-IDPs gathered at the Social Solidarity Ministry’s office asking their right of getting compensation. Majority of the IDPs did not bring with them protesting banners, but only urged the Government to make the payment as soon as possible. One of the ex-IDPs, Januario Freitas said they held such protest, because the ministry had not obeyed the compensation payment.
*ISF does not want to keep Reinado’s weapons *Suara Timor Loro Sa’e, June 29, 2010 language source: Tetun
Dili District Court Judge, Antonio Gonsalves said the Public Prosecution had got and official information from the International Stabilization Force (ISF) that it did not want to keep the slain rebel leader, Alfredo Reinado Alves’ weapons for any longer. Gonsalves said his side was now making efforts to mail an official letter to the Timorese Defense Force (F-FDTL) to take the weapons. Those weapons were seized by the ISF during the country’s crises of 2006 and were used as evidences in the court trial.
*Pires: TL will be not surprised with news Australian PM *Timor Post, June 29, 2010 language source: Tetun
The State Secretary for Natural Resources, Alfredo Pires said Timor-Leste’s Government would never be surprised with new Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard who had substituted former PM Kevin Rudd last week. Pires said the Timorese Government would firmly defend its position to build pipeline LNG from the Greater Sunrise to the country. “Timor-Leste will not be surprised with new Australian Prime Minister and the Government of Timor-Leste will firmly maintain its position to install LNG pipeline of the Greater Sunrise to the country,” Pires said. He added the former Australian PM Kevin Rudd always said that the pipeline case was problem between Timor-Leste and Woodside Company.
*Trial to Fatuahi case postponed due to technical problem *Timor Post, June 29, 2010 language source: Tetun
Panel Judge, Antonio Goncalves, has said that Dili District Court yesterday postponed trial process to Fatuahi ambush case due to technical problem. We are not able to end this trial process because there is a problem with the CD contained film of Fatuahi incident in 2006. There is allegation made against accused but just because of the problem with CD then we postpone this trial and will continue the process tomorrow and screen the film of Fatuahi,” Goncalves said. Meanwhile, defender Afonso Carlos has called on the Court to urge the Justice Ministry to send its technical staff to resolve this problem as soon as possible.
*Court sends an official letter to F-FDTL *Timor Post, June 29, 2010 language source: Tetun
Judge Antonio Goncalves said the Court had sent an official letter to the Timorese Defense Force (F-FDTL) Institution to respond to request of the International Stabilization Force (ISF) to recall the weapons it confiscated from the slain Alfredo Reinado Alves and his men during the past military crisis in the country. “About weapons confiscated by the ISF from the slain Reinado and his men during the crisis, the court has sent an official letter to the FFDTL’s commander to respond to the request of the ISF, but there is no response yet and therefore the court is also waiting for their response at this time,” Goncalves said. He added the ISF composed of the Australian and New Zealand Forces had sent an official letter to the Public Prosecution that they did not want to responsible for the weapon they confiscated. Meanwhile, Prosecutor Felismino Cardoso, also confirmed that the ISF had sent official letter to the Public Prosecution stating their plan to hand over weapons they confiscated.
*PM Gusmão: “Important to spend people’s money carefully” *Diario Nacional, June 29, 2010 language source: Tetun
Prime Minister Xanana Gusmão said it was important for the Government to spend people’s money to better improve living conditions of the people in the country. “When we have finished our work then we present report about it in the Parliament so that the MPs can know about what we do and they can also hold monitoring to take a look closer directly at progress of living conditions of the people,” PM Gusmão said. Gusmao added the Government would not be like another politicians saying that the Government had spent money recklessly. He stressed that the money spent should respond to the needs of the people so that they could live in a prosperous life.
*Govt to present patrimony law to the Parliament next year *Diario Nacional, June 29, 2010 language source: Tetun
The Government through the State Secretary for Culture has planned to present patrimony law to the National Parliament next year in order to be discussed and approved. The State Secretary for Culture, Virgilio Smith made the comments yesterday in the National Parliament saying that the Government proposed this law to valorize the culture of Timor-Leste. “I cannot make promise, because we have to look at this law carefully. If we talk about culture then we have to know what is the advantage and disadvantage of the culture itself and therefore we have to analyze it properly and hopefully we will present the draft law to the Parliament next year,” Smith said. Meanwhile, the Parliamentary Committee F for Education and Culture President, Francisco Geronimo said there was no law for culture and therefore he called on the Government to produce law for culture in order to protect and valorize the culture of the country.
*Fretilin calls for funding support reduction to Catholic Church *Suara Timor Loro Sa’e, June 29, 2010 language source: Tetun
Fretilin Bench in the Parliament has called on the Government to reduce the budget amount worth US $ 2 million which will be allocated to construction of a church building in Maliana. MP Antoninho Bianco from the Fretilin said the amount allocated to the church construction ought to be reduced, because the Government did not justify it. Bianco stressed that they had observed so far that the funding support which were allocated to civil society was not transparent and was unknown to the Parliament. “It would appear corruption, as there is no indicator shows where the money spent for,” Bianco said.
*Seven million allocated to port construction unconstitutional *Suara Timor Loro Sa’e, June 29, 2010 language source: Tetun
Fretilin said the proposed additional budget allocation worth US $ 7.100 to the Timorese Defense Force (F-FDTL) marine force’s port in Hera was unconstitutional, as they the budget had not been approved, yet the Government had made resolution for a single source tender to LIFESE Engineering Company. MP Arsenio Bano from Fretilin said based on the law financial management law; the Government could only execute the project once the Parliament had approved the budget. Bano stressed that the Government should not make promises to any company it the budget was yet to approve. This should not happen, as contract for military port in Hera seems like a debt payment. The Parliament has not approved the budget yet, but the Government has promised to the company,” Bano said.
*PNTL’s response to incident is like an actor of Indian Film *Timor Post, June 29, 2010 language source: Tetun
A resident of Surik-Mas, Nelson Aguas, has said he was dissatisfied with the National Police’s response to violence took place around the Capital of Dili, because their act was like actors of the Indian film. “I am dissatisfied with the National Police’s response to any cases happened around the capital of Dili, because in my observation that sometimes they are late to respond to the situation and it is like actors of Indian film that the police respond to the incident after many people been have killed and therefore I disagree with such response of the police continue happening in our country,” Aguas said. He also called on the National Police to have spirit of nationalism in supporting democracy building in the country, adding that the police should response to any case based on the law and order in order to avoid people of blaming the Police in the future. Meanwhile, Castilo Bastos has called on the National Police commanders to control and process those Police officers who maltreated resident without any strong reasons.
*Horta briefs Australian University on current situation of the country *Timor Post, June 29, 2010 language source: Tetun
President Jose Ramos Horta in speech marking a seminar at Democratic Center Institution [in Hall Llewellyn of Canberra], he briefed the Australian University on the current situation in Timor-Leste saying the situation was calm. Horta said peace and stability in Timor-Leste was getting progress as it was result of contribution of all the people of Timor-Leste. “Current situation in Timor-Leste is calm comparing to situation in the past. Statistic data of the UN shows that percentage of human rights violation in Timor-Leste is decreasing if comparing to other developing countries,” President Horta said. He added that the crisis took place in Timor-Leste was happening after a five-year transitional responsibility of the United Nations.
*MSS has closed payment for IDPs *Diario Nacional, June 29, 2010 language source: Tetun
The Social and Solidarity Ministry yesterday has officially closed the payment process for the Internal Displaced People (IDPs). The State Secretary for Natural Disaster and Social Assistance, Jacinto Rigoberto confirmed that there were 756 receipt files of IDPs identified by the verification team, but only 104 were eligible to get recuperation money [compensation] from the Government. “This is last day for the payment process for those who have receipt. I want to inform you all that there are 756 of receipt but only 104 of them are eligible to be paid or get the money from BPA next week,” Rigoberto said. Meanwhile, Minister for Social and Solidarity, Maria Domingas Alves, has also said yesterday was the last day for the Government to close the payment process for the IDPs.