|Subject: UNMIT Daily Media Review 1
[Poster's note: International and other articles already sent out to the east-timor list (email@example.com) have been removed from below.]
United Nations Integrated Mission in Timor-Leste
Public Information Unit
Daily Media Review
Wednesday, 01 November 2006
UNMIT MEDIA MONITORING THE UN INTEGRATED MISSION IN TIMOR-LESTE DOES NOT VOUCH FOR THE ACCURACY OF THESE REPORTS
National Media Reports
There is no print media today and tomorrow due to national holidays in Timor-Leste
RTTL news headlines 31-10-2006
East Timor establishes a diplomatic relationship with the State of Vatican The delegation of Timor-Leste comprised of the Prime Minister, Minister of Foreign Affairs and the new Ambassadors of Timor-Leste to the State of Vatican reportedly visited Pope Bento XVI. Speaking to the journalist after meeting with the Pope Bento XVI, José Luis Guterres, Minister of Foreign Affairs said that in addition to signing the diplomatic ties agreement between both countries, they also presented the new Ambassador of Timor-Leste to the head of the Catholic Church in Rome. At the end of the meeting, the delegation was invited to visit the graveyard of Pope John Paul II.
The International Forces should be under one unified command: Lu’Olo.
Speaking to the journalists after receiving the delegation of the European Union, the President of the National Parliament, Francicso Guterres (Lu’Olo) reportedly said that it was not good for the International Forces to be under two commands, as it will cause confusion in the field. Hence, these forces must wear a blue hat, under the UN command, stressed Lu’Olo.
Government planning to involve F-FDTL in operations
The government of Timor-Leste has reportedly been planning to involve F-FDTL with the International Joinet Task Forces in military operations to restore peace and stability in Timor-Leste. F-FDTL commander, Brigadier General Taur Matan Ruak was quoted as saying he was called by the Prime Minister to discuss the best possible ways the national Defence Forces can contribute to the restoration of peace and stability of the country. The first Deputy Prime Minister, Estanislau da Silva confirmed that soon, they will make a political decision on the matter. However, he stressed the idea is not with the intention to divide the people of Timor-Leste.
The Electoral Certification Team arrived in Timor-Leste
The Electoral Certification Team, comprised of three members from Zimbabwe, Portugal, and Australia arrived in Dili to start their work in Timor-Leste for the upcoming elections.
Casualties May 25 incident return to Dili
The 14 casualties, shot during the May 25 incident were reportedly brought back to Dili from Australia as they have all now fully recovered. Among them, were some PNTL members and a priest.
International Media Reports
E Timor security situation fragile: ADF chief
Wednesday, November 1, 2006. 12:20pm (AEDT)
The chief of the Australian Defence Force (ADF) says the security situation in East Timor remains fragile. There has been a recent increase in violence around Dili with a number of people killed in gang-related attacks. Air Chief Marshal Angus Houston has told a Senate estimates hearing that isolated incidents of violence are continuing. "Despite the progress made in the restoration of law and order, the security situation in Timor Leste remains fragile and will remain vulnerable to outbreaks of inter-ethnic violence," he said. Meanwhile, an award winning film maker who has focused much of his attention on East Timor says upgrading communication systems throughout the nation could make it safer. Max Stahl filmed the Dili massacre in 1991 and also documented the last days of the United Nations mission in September 1999 before Interfet arrived. In the last week, Australian peacekeeping troops have been the subject of a reported smear campaign. Mr Stahl says accuracy of information is vital for East Timor to prosper. "Rumour has run riot and why East Timor's crisis, which is of course partly generated by the historical trauma people have suffered, has exaggerated the potential for conflict and turned small issues into big ones at an electrifying speed," he said. (ABC)
Top E Timor MP demands troops out October 31, 2006
AUSTRALIAN-LED peacekeeping forces in East Timor have failed to restore order in Dili and should be replaced by UN troops, East Timor's parliamentary speaker said today.
Security is proving the latest divisive issue in the troubled young nation, with Parliament last week voting in favour of a UN force being deployed there but the government instead asking that the regional peacekeepers stay on. Parliamentary speaker Fransisco Guterres said troops, deployed to East Timor in May amid civil unrest, had failed to curb violence which has surged again in recent weeks. "At the onset, the soldiers arrested no-one, so arson attacks on homes continued taking place and they said it (arresting criminals) is the job of the police. But now, they are arresting people and doing the job of the police," Mr Guterres said. "There are a lot of troops in East Timor but they are unable to arrest criminals. What kind of work is that?" he asked. He said East Timorese had complained to him about alleged wrongful arrests and assaults on civilians made by the Australian-led troops. "To me, this is an intolerable act and as an elected official, I am saying no-one can raise their hands and beat up my child in my own house," he said. Some 3200 Australian-led regional forces were initially deployed to East Timor in May after violence between security force factions, as well as street gangs, left some 37 people dead over two months. Their numbers have since been reduced to 1100, bolstered by the presence of some 1000 UN police. The East Timorese Parliament voted on Friday in favour of a UN peacekeeping force, but also said it was prepared to consider bilateral and trilateral military arrangements. "What we want is for all troops, be they military or police, to be under the administration of the UN, including them (Australia and New Zealand)," said Mr Guterres, when asked about what he thought would be the best solution. The commander of Australia's forces in East Timor on Saturday rejected claims his troops had taken sides and that their mission had failed. Brigadier Mal Rerden defended his soldiers' conduct after East Timor's army chief, Brigadier General Taur Matan Ruak, reportedly said the Australian operation had failed because Dili still "looks like cowboy city". Brig Rerden said he did not believe there were any valid grievances against his troops. Australia has made it clear it wishes to retain control of the peacekeeping force and has said its troops will stay until elections due in May next year. (The Australian)
UNMIT MEDIA MONITORING http://www.unmit.org/