Subject: East Timor Study Group (ETSG)
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 09:29:06 -0400
From: firstname.lastname@example.org ( Joćo Mariano Saldanha)
The East Timor Study Group (ETSG) is a year old group which is comprised by a group of young academic and intellectual East Timorese and mostly are doing their graduate studies (Master's and PhDs abroad). This is a self initiated Study Group with the main agenda of developing a multidisciplinary approach to study East Timor. The short term focus is on conflict resolution in East Timor.
Inquiries on ETSG can be directed to the Spokesman in the address attached. E-mail is the best way.
EAST TIMOR STUDY GROUP (ETSG)
Contact address: c/o Joćo Mariano Saldanha University of California, San Diego Graduate School of Intl Relations and Pacific Studies 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093-0519 USA Phone: (619) 534-7631. Fax: (619) 534-3939 E-mail: email@example.com
Conscious of our moral responsibility as part of a new generation of East Timorese and anxious to contribute to the negotiation process on the question of East Timor;
Driven by the desire to achieve a lasting and peaceful settlement to the ongoing conflict in East Timor;
Registering with satisfaction the recent political reforms in Indonesia;
Welcoming the positive gesture of President Habibie with regard to the solution of the conflict;
We, the members of the East Timor Study Group, gathered in Washington DC, from July 8 - 16, 1998;
1. to all parties concerned in the conflict in East Timor, to declare a total moratorium of military activities in the territory of East Timor.
2. to the United Nations, Indonesia, and Portugal to continue the All- inclusive Intra East Timorese Dialogue (AIETD), with a new Terms of Reference that includes the future political status of East Timor, and a new composition of participants by including more representative ones.
3. to the United Nations, Indonesia and Portugal to consider the AIETD as a parallel track towards the resolution of the conflict.
4. to the government of Indonesia to release all political prisoners, including Mr. Jose "Xanana" Gusmćo, to help the process of reconciliation and dialogue regarding the future of East Timor.
5. to the international community to provide financial and humanitarian assistance to Indonesia and East Timor to overcome the current economic crisis.
Washington, DC July 16, 1998
The East Timor Study Group
The objective of the East Timor Study Group (ETSG) is to develop political, economic, and socio-cultural studies with focus on resolution to the conflict in East Timor.
Spokesman: Joćo Mariano Saldanha, University of California, San Diego, USA
The views expressed here do not represent the position of any institution with which we are associated and we alone are responsible for them.