Subject: ETHRC UA 13/98: torture and incommunicado detention
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 16:56:47 -1000
From: ethrc <firstname.lastname@example.org>
EAST TIMOR HUMAN RIGHTS CENTRE 124 Napier St Fitzroy 3065 Australia PO BOX 1413 Collingwood 3066 Australia Tel: +61 3 9415 8225 Fax: +61 3 9415 8218 E-mail: email@example.com Director: Ms Maria Brett Chair: Bishop Hilton Deakin
URGENT ACTION 30 July 1998
NAMES: Francisco (no surname
VIOLATIONS: Incommunicado detention / Torture
LOCATION: Maubara, Liquica district, East Timor
Ref: UA 13/98
The East Timor Human Rights Centre (ETHRC) holds grave fears for the safety Francisco (no surname), an East Timorese man from Quintal Boot, Dili, who was arrested on 14 July in Maubara, Liquica district, and subjected to torture in detention.
Francisco was arrested at 2.00pm on 14 July when members of KODIM Liquica 1638 (District Military Command) and Koramil Maubara 03 (Sub-district Military Command) conducted a security search of a bus which was en route from Suai to Dili. It is believed the security search was part of the Indonesian military's attempt to prevent demonstrations on the 17 July anniversary of Indonesia's formal annexation of East Timor. Francisco was taken to KODIM headquarters in Liquica where he was detained and subjected to torture. Sources who visited him at KODIM confirmed that as a result of the torture, his face was disfigured to the point of being almost unrecognisable.
On 18 July, Francisco was taken away in a Kijang vehicle to Maubara where it is alleged security forces intended to kill him. However, in Maubara, Francisco is believed to have screamed for help and attracted the attention of a crowd who had gathered at a nearby house for a funeral. When people in the crowd tried to assist him, it is believed the military decided to take Francisco back to KODIM headquarters in Liquica. Although his exact whereabouts could not be confirmed, it is believed he is being held there in incommunicado detention.
The ETHRC is concerned that Francisco may be at risk for further torture and ill-treatment in detention. Detainees in East Timor are routinely subjected to these violations while in military custody, especially during interrogation, in order to extract information about the activities of others. Detainees are at heightened risk of ill-treatment if they are denied access to their families, humanitarian assistance and independent legal counsel.
The perpetrators of Francisco's arrest and torture have been identified as East Timorese members of the Indonesian military:
1. Antonio Andrade - administrative section head of KODIM 1638 Liquica 2. Tome Diogo - Chief of SGI (Special Intelligence Unit) of KODIM 1638 Liquica 3. Jacinto - KODIM Liquica 4. Chico Buti - Koramil 03 Maubara 5. Teofilo - Koramil 03 Maubara 6. Antonio Gomes - Koramil 03 Maubara
Please send faxes/telegrams/express or airmail letters in English, Bahasa Indonesia or your own language:
* seeking clarification of the exact whereabouts of Francisco; * if he is in detention, seeking details of the charges (if any) against him and calling for his immediate and unconditional release if he has not been charged with a recognisable offence under existing laws; * expressing concern that Francisco has been subjected to torture and seeking assurances that he will not face further torture and ill-treatment in detention and that he will be treated humanely in accordance with international standards; and * seeking assurances that he will have immediate and on-going access to members of his family, humanitarian assistance and legal representation.
SEND APPEALS TO:
1. MILITARY COMMANDER REGION IX/UDAYANA (includes East Timor) Major General Adam Damiri Pangdam IX/Udayana Markas Besar KODAM IX/Udayana Denpasar, Bali INDONESIA Telephone: +62 361 228 095 Telegrams: Pangdam IX/Udayana, Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia
ALSO SEND COPIES TO:
2. SECRETARY GENERAL, NATIONAL COMMISSION ON HUMAN RIGHTS Prof. Dr. Baharuddin Lopa Sekretaris Jenderal, Komisi Nasional Hak Azasi Manusia (Komnas HAM) Jl Latuharhary No 4 B, Menteng Jakarta Pusat INDONESIA Phone/Fax: +62 21 392 5227 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
3. MINISTER FOR FOREIGN AFFAIRS Ali Alatas S.H Menteri Luar Negeri Jl. Medan Taman Pejambon No. 6 Jakarta INDONESIA Faxes: +62 21 360 541 / 360 517 / 380 5511 / 345 7782 / 724 5354
PLEASE ALSO SEND APPEALS TO:
* Diplomatic representatives of Indonesia in your country * Parliamentarians and the Foreign Ministry in your country
PLEASE SEND APPEALS IMMEDIATELY Check with the East Timor Human Rights Centre if sending appeals after 10 September 1998