| Subject: WP/IHT: Jakarta Links U.S. Embargo
to Unrest
The Washington Post (articles also appears in today's International
Herald Tribune, under heading: 'Jakarta Links U.S. Embargo to Unrest')
Wednesday, July 5, 2000
Official in Jakarta Criticizes U.S. Ban
Photo: Christian Ambonese board a large ferry from a smaller boat as
they try to flee sectarian fighting between Christians and Muslims in
Indonesia. (Reuters)
By Rajiv Chandrasekaran Washington Post Foreign Service
JAKARTA, Indonesia, July 4 – A U.S. embargo on the sale of
military equipment to Indonesia, enacted after widespread human rights
abuses in East Timor last year, is hindering the ability of the country's
armed forces to quell spreading sectarian violence in other parts of the
Indonesian archipelago, the nation's defense minister said today.
The embargo, which has prevented the Indonesian government from buying
spare parts for its U.S.-made aircraft and ships, has forced the military
to pull out of service several cargo planes and patrol boats that
commanders had hoped to use in the Moluccas Islands, where a bloody
religious war has claimed more than 3,000 lives in the past 18 months,
Defense Minister Juwono Sudarsono said in an interview.
"We are in a very tenuous situation now," Sudarsono said.
"There is a lot of equipment that we need that is not working."
Among the planes that have been grounded are five of the country's
eight C-130 Hercules cargo aircraft, which are used to ferry troops and
supplies.
"The United States should not look at military transport planes
only as a means of transporting troops to suppress dissent,"
Sudarsono said. "They have an important role in providing supplies in
emergency situations, whether it's a man-made or a natural disaster."
The Indonesian government declared a state of emergency last week in
the Moluccas, the picturesque archipelago once known as the Spice Islands,
which has been wracked by fierce fighting between Muslim and Christian
gangs armed with lethal homemade weapons. In the past two weeks, more than
200 people have been killed in street battles and savage nighttime
massacres. As many as 480 others, many of them Christian refugees fleeing
the violence, are believed to have drowned when their overloaded ferry
capsized during a storm on Thursday.
The conflict has escalated in recent weeks largely because of the
arrival of several thousand heavily armed Muslim fighters from other parts
of Indonesia who are committed to waging what they believe is a holy war
against Christians.
For months, government officials and religious leaders in the Moluccas
have accused the military of doing little to stop the fighting and, in
some cases, of actively taking sides in the battles. In response to the
criticism, the armed forces chief recently named a Hindu colonel from Bali
to be the regional commander and has pledged to replace many of the local
troops with soldiers from other parts of the country, who would be more
likely to intervene in an impartial way.
But Sudarsono said such a troop replacement will be slowed by a lack of
transport aircraft. "Planes are important for immediate relief,"
he said.
U.S. officials acknowledge that the embargo has had a significant
impact on the Indonesian military, which relies on U.S. logistics support
for 70 percent of its modern equipment, but the officials contend that
out-of-service aircraft and ships are not preventing troops from taking
basic steps to bring the situation in the Moluccas under control.
"This is by no means the real issue in the Moluccas," said
U.S. Ambassador Robert S. Gelbard. "The real issue has been that over
the last six months, the government has been unwilling to take strong,
firm and clear action to stop the violence. This includes stopping
outsiders from going in and having security forces go house to house to
confiscate weapons."
The arms embargo and a suspension of military ties with Indonesia were
mandated by Congress last fall after militias backed by the Indonesian
armed forces rampaged through East Timor killing hundreds of people in
response to the territory's overwhelming vote for independence. Before the
ties and arms sales can be resumed, Indonesia must fulfill several
requirements, including bringing military leaders responsible for the
violence to trial and cracking down on militia members who are preventing
tens of thousands of East Timorese refugees in Indonesian-controlled
western Timor from returning home.
Thus far, though, U.S. officials say the Indonesian government has not
taken strong steps to contain the militias. Last month, militia fighters
armed with automatic weapons and hand grenades crossed the border
separating western Timor and East Timor to attack Australian peacekeepers.
Of particular concern to the United States and to the U.N. officials who
now govern East Timor is a plan advanced by local Indonesian government
officials to allow militia members to settle 20 miles from the border.
Sudarsono said that with the crisis in the Moluccas, along with tense
separatist movements in the provinces of Aceh and West Papua, there is
little political support in Jakarta to commit additional troops or
resources to western Timor.
"My ministry is overstretched and undermanned and underfunded,"
he said. "East Timor comes down at number four in the order of
priorities now."
Despite the lack of progress on the Timor issue, officials at the State
Department and the Pentagon are quietly urging key members of Congress to
enact legislation that would give the White House the ability to resume
Indonesian arms sales and military ties without having to obtain
congressional approval.
Although Timor remains a sore point, U.S. officials have been heartened
by some of the military reforms taken by Indonesia's democratically
elected government, including removing some of the senior officers under
investigation for the East Timor massacres and imposing civilian control
over the armed forces.
In what appears to be a step in the direction of resuming military
ties, the Defense Department invited Indonesian observers to U.S. military
exercises in Thailand in May. The Pentagon also is planning to conduct
small-scale joint exercises with the Indonesian navy later this month.
July Menu
World Leaders Contact List
Human Rights Violations in East Timor
Main Postings Menu
Note: For those who would like to fax "the
powers that be" - CallCenter V3.5.8, is a Native 32-bit Voice Telephony software
application integrated with fax and data communications... and it's free of charge!
Download from http://www.v3inc.com/ |