| Subject: Indonesia Again Appeals for Easing
of US Arms Embargo
Indonesia again appeals for easing of US arms embargo
JAKARTA, July 6 (AFP) - Indonesia's defense minister repeated his call
Thursday for the United States to ease its arms embargo against the
country, particularly for spare parts.
"We are seeking the lifting of a ban on sales of spare parts we
need for some defense system equipment, such the Hercules aircraft,"
Yowono Sudarsono told journalists before attending a seminar on the
economy.
"The (Hercules) spare parts need to be replaced because they have
exceeded 100 flight hours," he added.
US State Department spokesman Richard Boucher said in Washington
Wednesday that the arms embargo would remain in place, despite complaints
it ties Jakarta's hands as it battles rampant religious violence.
Boucher said Indonesia had yet to satisfy a series of conditions
imposed by the US Congress. "At this point, there's no plan to resume
defense item sales or transfers," he said.
Sudarsono said the lack of spare parts could compromise flight safety
and hamper relief efforts in riot-hit areas such as the Maluku Islands.
"What is more important is the role of the Hercules to transport
food and medical supplies for refugees quickly," Sudarsono said.
"We also need rapid movement of troops and police to quell
unrest," he added.
The embargo was imposed by the US Congress last year after the
Indonesian military was widely blamed for whipping up a wave of deadly
militia violence when East Timor voted overwhelmingly for independence.
Indonesia stepped up its campaign for a reversal of the embargo
Wednesday with an interview in the Washington Post by Sudarsono.
Sudarsono said the military was suffering a chronic shortage of spare
parts due to the embargo, and had been forced to pull back several cargo
planes and patrol boats needed in the Malakus, where some 4,000 people
have died since sectarian clashes erupted there in January 1999.
To end the embargo, Washington says Indonesia must rein in militias
reported to be barring thousands of East Timorese from returning home from
camps in West Timor.
The government is also required to bring prominent military figures
allegedly responsible for the East Timor violence to justice.
Boucher reiterated the US belief that Indonesia's government and
military waited too long to combat the violence in the Malakus.
Washington does, however, support the recent declaration of a state of
civil emergency in the area and is "deeply concerned" at the
violence in the region, he said.
July Menu
World Leaders Contact List
Human Rights Violations in East Timor
Main Postings Menu
Note: For those who would like to fax "the
powers that be" - CallCenter V3.5.8, is a Native 32-bit Voice Telephony software
application integrated with fax and data communications... and it's free of charge!
Download from http://www.v3inc.com/ |