| Subject: E. Timor, Indonesia fail to agree
on land corridor to enclave
Kyodo News Service July 7, 2000, Friday
E. Timor, Indonesia fail to agree on land corridor to enclave
DILI, East Timor
U.N.-administered East Timor and Indonesia have yet to clinch an
agreement on modalities for a land corridor to connect East Timor proper
with an East Timorese enclave surrounded by Indonesia-ruled West Timor,
U.N. officials said Friday.
U.N. Transitional Administration in East Timor (UNTAET) officials said
that during a third round of negotiations in Surabaya that ended
Wednesday, the Indonesian side restated its concerns about security along
the passageway.
The Indonesian delegation instead proposed the opening of a ferry link
between the Oecussi enclave and East Timor proper, while UNTAET
counter-proposed an interim bus service with a military escort, officials
said.
The two sides agreed to investigate both options, they said, adding
that the next round of talks is scheduled for September.
The 2,461-square-kilometer enclave, surrounded on three sides by
Indonesia-ruled West Timor, is situated along Timor Island's northern
coast, about 70 km west of the border of East Timor proper.
A joint communique concluded between UNTAET and Indonesia on Feb. 29,
and signed in the presence of Indonesian President Abdurrahman Wahid,
envisaged a 'special corridor' between Oecussi and the other districts of
East Timor in which there would be unimpeded access for people and goods.
But the Indonesian side has since expressed concerns about security
along the proposed land route in light of the presence in West Timor of
about 100,000 East Timorese refugees, among them thousands of members of
militia groups that violently opposed independence for East Timor.
It has also voiced worries about vehicles breaking down or wear and
tear on the roads in question, which are in poor condition already.
UNTAET officials said they have proposed that, as a practical interim
measure, a bus escorted by Indonesian police or military could ply the
proposed land route two or three times a week. If the experiment is
successful, the bus service could be increased to once a day.
After that, a system could be developed where people could take private
vehicles in convoys, they said. Eventually a system would be set up
whereby anybody with documents allowing them to be in East Timor could,
without requiring an Indonesian visa, use a corridor to cross to the other
part of East Timor without deviating from the prescribed route.
While goods might be subject to some inspection and control, they would
not be subject to customs duties, UNTAET officials said.
Like the rest of the former Portuguese colony, which was occupied by
Indonesia for 24 years, most of Oecussi's infrastructure was trashed
before the Indonesians left last year. Its remoteness has severely
hampered the task of reconstruction.
July Menu
World Leaders Contact List
Human Rights Violations in East Timor
Main Postings Menu
Note: For those who would like to fax "the
powers that be" - CallCenter V3.5.8, is a Native 32-bit Voice Telephony software
application integrated with fax and data communications... and it's free of charge!
Download from http://www.v3inc.com/ |